A fake Ajahn Chah quote?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Turmeric

A fake Ajahn Chah quote?

Post by Turmeric »

"All religions are like cars moving in the same direction" Read this quote attributed to Ajahn Chah on the internet. Does anyone know if this is authentic?
bodom

Re: A fake Ajahn Chah quote?

Post by bodom »

I own and have read everything in English by Ajahn Chah and dont recall this quote from anywhere. Could be wrong though.

:namaste:
This is our foundation: to have sati, recollection, and sampajañña, self-awareness, whether standing, walking, sitting, or reclining. Whatever arises, just leave it be, don’t cling to it. Whether it’s like or dislike, happiness or suffering, doubt or certainty... Don’t try to label everything, just know it. See that all the things that arise in the mind are simply sensations. They are transient. They arise, exist and cease. That’s all there is to them, they have no self or being, they are neither ‘us’ nor ‘them’. None of them are worthy of clinging to.

- Ajahn Chah
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

I've never heard that one from anyone. And from the Ajahn Chah talks I've read, that doesn't sound like something he would say. But I could be wrong. :shrug:
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Its in part 2 of A Tree in a Forest (A collection of Ajahn Chah's similes) :
Cars

All religions are like different cars moving in the same direction.
People who don't see it like that have no light in their hearts.

http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/tree-forest.pdf
:anjali:
bodom

Post by bodom »

Aloka wrote:Its in part 2 of A Tree in a Forest (A collection of Ajahn Chah's similes) :
Cars

All religions are like different cars moving in the same direction.
People who don't see it like that have no light in their hearts.

http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/tree-forest.pdf
:anjali:
Thanks.

:namaste:
This is our foundation: to have sati, recollection, and sampajañña, self-awareness, whether standing, walking, sitting, or reclining. Whatever arises, just leave it be, don’t cling to it. Whether it’s like or dislike, happiness or suffering, doubt or certainty... Don’t try to label everything, just know it. See that all the things that arise in the mind are simply sensations. They are transient. They arise, exist and cease. That’s all there is to them, they have no self or being, they are neither ‘us’ nor ‘them’. None of them are worthy of clinging to.

- Ajahn Chah