Where does the hapiness come from?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
user99

Where does the hapiness come from?

Post by user99 »

What is the hapiness you get from good practice made of?
paul

Re: Where does the hapiness come from?

Post by paul »

""Monks, whether or not there is the arising of Tathagatas, this property stands — this steadfastness of the Dhamma, this orderliness of the Dhamma: All processes are inconstant." ---Dhamma-niyama sutta AN 3:134.
When the mind is brought through effort into concord with the fixedness of dhamma, niyama, then harmony arises, this is the source of the happiness.

"The English word “morality” and its derivatives suggest a sense of obligation and constraint quite foreign to the Buddhist conception of sila; this connotation probably enters from the theistic background to Western ethics. Buddhism, with its non-theistic framework, grounds its ethics, not on the notion of obedience, but on that of harmony. In fact, the commentaries explain the word sila by another word, samadhana, meaning “harmony” or “coordination.”
The observance of sila leads to harmony at several levels — social, psychological, kammic, and contemplative. At the social level the principles of sila help to establish harmonious interpersonal relations, welding the mass of differently constituted members of society with their own private interests and goals into a cohesive social order in which conflict, if not utterly eliminated, is at least reduced. At the psychological level sila brings harmony
to the mind, protection from the inner split caused by guilt and remorse over moral transgressions. At the kammic level the observance of sila ensures harmony with the cosmic law of kamma, hence favorable results in the course of future movement through the round of repeated birth and death. And at the fourth level, the contemplative, sila helps establish the preliminary purification of mind to be completed, in a deeper and more thorough way, by the methodical development of serenity and insight."---"The Noble Eightfold Path", Bikkhu Bodhi.
Last edited by paul on Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Do you always get it?
"Monks, there are these four modes of practice. Which four? Painful practice with slow intuition, painful practice with quick intuition, pleasant practice with slow intuition, & pleasant practice with quick intuition.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

In cases where one does get happiness, one can ask what the preconditions of that happiness are - what causes it to arise. The sutta linked gives some idea of that, based on the mind-state of the individual concerned. Similarly, depending on what we mean by "happiness", there is this:
“Bhikkhus, for a virtuous person, one whose behavior is virtuous, no volition need be exerted: ‘Let non-regret arise in me.’ It is natural that non-regret arises in a virtuous person, one whose behavior is virtuous.

(3) “For one without regret no volition need be exerted: ‘Let joy arise in me.’ It is natural that joy arises in one without regret.

(4) “For one who is joyful no volition need be exerted: ‘Let rapture arise in me.’ It is natural that rapture arises in one who is joyful.

(5) “For one with a rapturous mind no volition need be exerted: ‘Let my body be tranquil.’ It is natural that the body of one with a rapturous mind is tranquil.

(6) “For one tranquil in body no volition need be exerted: ‘Let me feel pleasure.’ It is natural that one tranquil in body feels pleasure.
https://suttacentral.net/en/an10.2

I'm not sure, though, that it makes as much sense to ask what happiness is made of, as if it had constituent parts or a kind of essence.
form

Post by form »

user99 wrote:What is the hapiness you get from good practice made of?
Comes from renunciation.
khlawng

Post by khlawng »

Freedom.
Freedom from attachment.
Freedom from craving.
Freedom from fear.
justindesilva

Post by justindesilva »

khlawng wrote:
Freedom.
Freedom from attachment.
Freedom from craving.
Freedom from fear.
As putajjana none of us can achieve freedom from attachment, or craving. It is in our nature. But we have to make an effort to reach that freedom from fear by starting to walk the noble eight fold path.
justindesilva

Post by justindesilva »

khlawng wrote:
Freedom.
Freedom from attachment.
Freedom from craving.
Freedom from fear.
As putajjana none of us can achieve freedom from attachment, or craving. It is in our nature. But we have to make an effort to reach that freedom from fear by starting to walk the noble eight fold path.
User156079

Post by User156079 »

doing good things & not doing bad things
thinking good things & not thinking bad things
saying good things & not saying bad things
khlawng

Post by khlawng »

justindesilva wrote: As putajjana none of us can achieve freedom from attachment, or craving. It is in our nature. But we have to make an effort to reach that freedom from fear by starting to walk the noble eight fold path.
Freedom comes from understanding and practising deeply the buddha's teaching.
It is a by-product.
Not something to achieve or reach like a experience.
Our true nature is one free of defilement.
Not being free of defilement makes one a puttajana.
Not the other way around my friend.
cjmacie

Post by cjmacie »

Could be that "happiness" isn't the best word to try to translate "sukha", or what ever else the Buddha used to described liberation of mind.

"Happiness" has strong connotation of lucky, or even accidental -- hap (= luck, fortune, chance), happenstance, hapless, to happen, happening, ...
:thinking:
chownah

Post by chownah »

cjmacie wrote:.
Could be that "happiness" isn't the best word to try to translate "sukha", or what ever else the Buddha used to described liberation of mind.

"Happiness" has strong connotation of lucky, or even accidental -- hap (= luck, fortune, chance), happenstance, hapless, to happen, happening, ...
I have never associate "happiness" with lucky or accidental. I'm wondering if anyone here has made those associations....I really doubt it. I think it is a mistake to confuse a words etymolgy with its current meanings and associations.
chownah
cjmacie

Post by cjmacie »

chownah wrote:
cjmacie wrote:.

I have never associate "happiness" with lucky or accidental. I'm wondering if anyone here has made those associations....I really doubt it. I think it is a mistake to confuse a words etymolgy with its current meanings and associations.
Which you've stated previously. Your never having made an association, or whether or not anyone here likewise, is irrelevant -- unless your intent is to try to completely invalidate the point I raise, which is impossible to do -- it's factually based.

I believe it's more mistaken to ignore history and origins (including etymology), a sort of parochial defense of ignorance.

As noted in the WIkipedia article: "Nowadays, happiness is a fuzzy concept and can mean many different things to many people."

Consider the idea in terms of conditioning in often uncontrollable circumstances (cf. the "Eight Worldly Winds" in Buddha dhamma). Antidote to "happenstance" happiness, would be an unshakable internal peace, unmoved by external circumstances.
khlawng

Post by khlawng »

in my case,
the words that i will associate with happiness are:

peacefulness
calmness
oneness
lightness of the heart
lack of fear
weight off my shoulders
a silent mind

its neither one or the other.
just an intermix of all the above.
bodom

Post by bodom »

The unconditioned mind.

How inconstant are compounded things!
Their nature: to arise & pass away.
They disband as they are arising.
Their total stilling is bliss.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB