Abortion poll

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

Your opinion on abortion

Morally against abortion and anti-choice
27%
Morally against abortion and pro-choice
50%
Morally ok with abortion and pro-choice for the first 8 weeks (embryo)
6%
Morally ok with abortion and pro-choice up to the start of second trimester (3 mos. pregnant)
7%
Morally ok with abortion and pro-choice up to the start of third trimester (6 mos. pregnant)
6%
Morally ok with abortion and pro-choice up to the delivery (9 mos. pregnant)
4%

Total votes: 70

Dhammanando

Re: Abortion poll

Post by Dhammanando »

binocular wrote:As far as I know, even Catholic hospitals (which will not perform an abortion of a live embryo or fetus) still induce the delivery of the dead embryo or fetus.
I think David might have in mind the case of Savita Halappanavar, though it was actually an Indian Tamil woman and the country was Ireland. (Under Saudi law an abortion would probably have been permitted in identical circumstances).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_ ... lappanavar

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... on-midwife
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
justindesilva

Post by justindesilva »

An embryo in the womb is somebody's karma. No body else has the right to either destroy or meddle with it except nature.
BasementBuddhist

Post by BasementBuddhist »

justindesilva wrote:An embryo in the womb is somebody's karma. No body else has the right to either destroy or meddle with it except nature.
Aren't human beings a part of nature?
robertk

Post by robertk »

It could have had more options:
ok with mother killing child up to one month after birth.

ok with mother lilling child up to 5 years old.
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

there are 2 issues here, one is how you morally feel about abortion, and the other is what kind of laws you advocate (pro choice or pro life). Pro choice would mean people should be able to choose if they want to abort a fetus, which is in effect killing from a Buddhist perspective. Being pro life would mean advocating that nobody should be permitted to have abortions. But in reality, even if abortion were banned, people would have illegal abortions.

Being pro-choice I suppose could be construed as encouraging or at least permitting people to kill. Being pro-life could mean you are trying to legislate morality. In some ways, the law does try to do that-- e.g. prostitution, drugs, etc.

Personally, I believe abortion is wrong and I would discourage anyone from having one. The fact 800k abortions were performed in the US last year is horrifying. Its being used as a form of birth control and treated very casually by people. I think this is a lack of reverence for life. Can we legislate our way out of this problem? I don't know. I'm not sure what you do about that. This is part of why I didn't vote on this poll. Its far too complex to say pro-choice or pro-life. These are very complex issues which can't be distilled into mutable political stances.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

robertk wrote:It could have had more options:

Let's not fetter ourselves here. "OK with killing the mother as well".
binocular

Post by binocular »

robertk wrote:It could have had more options:
The practice of infanticide has taken many forms over time. Child sacrifice to supernatural figures or forces, such as that believed to have been practiced in ancient Carthage, may be only the most notorious example in the ancient world. Anthropologist Laila Williamson notes that "Infanticide has been practiced on every continent and by people on every level of cultural complexity, from hunter gatherers to high civilizations, including our own ancestors. Rather than being an exception, then, it has been the rule."[6]:61

A frequent method of infanticide in ancient Europe and Asia was simply to abandon the infant, leaving it to die by exposure (i.e. hypothermia, hunger, thirst, or animal attack).[7][8]

In at least one island in Oceania, infanticide was carried out until the 20th century by suffocating the infant,[9] while in pre-Columbian Mesoamerica and in the Inca Empire it was carried out by sacrifice (see below).

/.../
The historical Greeks considered the practice of adult and child sacrifice barbarous,[29] however, the exposure of newborns was widely practiced in ancient Greece, it was even advocated by Aristotle in the case of congenital deformity — "As to the exposure of children, let there be a law that no deformed child shall live.”[30] In Greece the decision to expose a child was typically the father's, although in Sparta the decision was made by a group of elders.[31] Exposure was the preferred method of disposal, as that act in itself was not considered to be murder; moreover, the exposed child technically had a chance of being rescued by the gods or any passersby.[32] /.../ Families did not always keep their new child. After a woman had a baby, she would show it to her husband. If the husband accepted it, it would live, but if he refused it, it would die. Babies would often be rejected if they were illegitimate, unhealthy or deformed, the wrong sex, or too great a burden on the family. These babies would not be directly killed, but put in a clay pot or jar and deserted outside the front door or on the roadway. In ancient Greek religion, this practice took the responsibility away from the parents because the child would die of natural causes, for example hunger, asphyxiation or exposure to the elements.
/.../
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infanticide
/.../
Euthanasia in infants has been proposed by philosophers3 for children with severe abnormalities whose lives can be expected to be not worth living and who are experiencing unbearable suffering.

Also medical professionals have recognised the need for guidelines about cases in which death seems to be in the best interest of the child. In The Netherlands, for instance, the Groningen Protocol (2002) allows to actively terminate the life of ‘infants with a hopeless prognosis who experience what parents and medical experts deem to be unbearable suffering’.4
/.../

After-birth abortion: why should the baby live?
http://jme.bmj.com/content/early/2012/0 ... 00411.full

[emphasis mine]
Last edited by binocular on Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
binocular

Post by binocular »

dharmacorps wrote:The fact 800k abortions were performed in the US last year is horrifying. Its being used as a form of birth control and treated very casually by people. I think this is a lack of reverence for life.

Can we legislate our way out of this problem? I don't know.
Can we legislate that human life has value?
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

binocular wrote:
dharmacorps wrote:The fact 800k abortions were performed in the US last year is horrifying. Its being used as a form of birth control and treated very casually by people. I think this is a lack of reverence for life.

Can we legislate our way out of this problem? I don't know.
Can we legislate that human life has value?
You could make laws that say anything. Doesn't mean people will do it.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

I voted morally wrong but pro-choice.
Abortion is stemming from the hate and anger.
However, there could be some reasons why people make their choices.
It is impossible for us to put ourselves into every person's shoes.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
dylanj

Post by dylanj »

The Dhamma is very clear on this matter.
Born, become, arisen – made, prepared, short-lived
Bonded by decay and death – a nest for sickness, perishable
Produced by seeking nutriment – not fit to take delight in

Departure from this is peaceful – beyond reasoning and enduring
Unborn, unarisen – free from sorrow and stain
Ceasing of all factors of suffering – stilling of all preparations is bliss
dylanj

Post by dylanj »

dharmacorps wrote:there are 2 issues here, one is how you morally feel about abortion, and the other is what kind of laws you advocate (pro choice or pro life). Pro choice would mean people should be able to choose if they want to abort a fetus, which is in effect killing from a Buddhist perspective. Being pro life would mean advocating that nobody should be permitted to have abortions. But in reality, even if abortion were banned, people would have illegal abortions.

Being pro-choice I suppose could be construed as encouraging or at least permitting people to kill. Being pro-life could mean you are trying to legislate morality. In some ways, the law does try to do that-- e.g. prostitution, drugs, etc.

Personally, I believe abortion is wrong and I would discourage anyone from having one. The fact 800k abortions were performed in the US last year is horrifying. Its being used as a form of birth control and treated very casually by people. I think this is a lack of reverence for life. Can we legislate our way out of this problem? I don't know. I'm not sure what you do about that. This is part of why I didn't vote on this poll. Its far too complex to say pro-choice or pro-life. These are very complex issues which can't be distilled into mutable political stances.
:goodpost:

I have the same qualms, I chose anti-choice but wish I could simply choose to be against it yet apolitical.
Born, become, arisen – made, prepared, short-lived
Bonded by decay and death – a nest for sickness, perishable
Produced by seeking nutriment – not fit to take delight in

Departure from this is peaceful – beyond reasoning and enduring
Unborn, unarisen – free from sorrow and stain
Ceasing of all factors of suffering – stilling of all preparations is bliss
Reductor

Post by Reductor »

Not many options for morally against but prochoice. I would prefer there to be a limit on when you can abort that would be informed by the relevant medical research so that organisms which can feel pain are protected. Hopefully a precise time frame in pregnancy would be identified that would allow a mother the option to abort while not creating a lot of suffering for the fetus. (In fact, I would not be surprised if such a period has been identified).
form

Post by form »

Killing father or mother is irreversible crime, 100% end up in hell. What about if one kill own son or daughter? Kammically just as heavy?
binocular

Post by binocular »

form wrote:Killing father or mother is irreversible crime, 100% end up in hell. What about if one kill own son or daughter? Kammically just as heavy?
I wonder about this too.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!