Which view on DO resonates with you the most?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

Which view on DO resonates with you the most?

One life model
No votes
One life model and moment to moment
13%
Two lives model
No votes
Three lives model
9%
Three lives model and moment to moment
22%
Multiple lives model
7%
Multiple lives model & moment-to-moment
16%
Moment to moment only
2%
Timeless/Atemporal/Structural
22%
Simultaneous, non-linear
9%

Total votes: 45

mikenz66

Re: Which view on DO resonates with you the most?

Post by mikenz66 »

Oh, OK, that makes more sense then...

:heart:
Mike
Spiny Norman

Re: Which view on DO resonates with you the most?

Post by Spiny Norman »

SDC wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 9:38 pm
mikenz66 wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 9:28 pm How can one talk about "saṅkhatas" when saṅkhata is not a noun? Perhaps I need help from a Pali expert.
You're correct. When we first started talking about it in this thread I was using the phrase sankhata dhamma (conditioned thing) and just shortened it as we and I went on. I don't think Dinsdale meant it to be a noun either.
You're right, sorry if this caused any confusion.

Another perspective on sankhara from Bhikkhu Buddhadasa:

"I would like to take this opportunity to discuss all the meanings of the term "sankhara." This is a very common and important word in the Pali scriptures, but many people have problems with it due to its different uses and meanings. Languages are like that, uncertain and seemingly unreliable. The single word "sankhara" can mean "conditioner," the cause that conditions; it can mean "condition," the result of the action of conditioning; and it can mean "'conditioning," the activity or process of conditioning. We use the same word for the subject of the conditioning, "the concocter," as well as the object, "the concoction." We even use it for the activity, "the concocting," itself. This may be a bit confusing for you, so please remember that "sankhara" has three meanings. The correct meaning depends on the context. This knowledge will be valuable in your further studies."

https://www.dhammatalks.net/Books3/Bhik ... TURE%20SIX
Buddha save me from new-agers!