Sotapanna and five precepts

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
asahi

Re: If you become a Sotapanna will you know that?

Post by asahi »

thepea wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:49 pm
asahi wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:13 am
thepea wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:54 am

Frution is a mind moment state that offers wisdom that destroys three fetters. Further work is required to snuff out greed/fear and as long as this is present there is killing.
If you mean at the moment of insight it happens yes . Thereafter , the insight remains , you dont have to again make efforts to attain it .
I would agree, that nibbana “has been experienced” and then one has the wisdom of knowing this peace is always there behind all the stuff.
No need to find nibbana again it’s simply a matter of letting go of the stuff if one chooses to do this noble work.
Or one may have family/offspring and spouse to care for, in which case things such as killing can become part of your life experience in a more gross nature.
It really depends on what you mean by nibbana . But in either case , no intentional killing except accidentally happens .
No bashing No gossiping
thepea

Post by thepea »

asahi wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:55 pm
thepea wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:49 pm
asahi wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:13 am

If you mean at the moment of insight it happens yes . Thereafter , the insight remains , you dont have to again make efforts to attain it .
I would agree, that nibbana “has been experienced” and then one has the wisdom of knowing this peace is always there behind all the stuff.
No need to find nibbana again it’s simply a matter of letting go of the stuff if one chooses to do this noble work.
Or one may have family/offspring and spouse to care for, in which case things such as killing can become part of your life experience in a more gross nature.
It really depends on what you mean by nibbana . But in either case , no intentional killing except accidentally happens .
Why do you think that?
For a monastic, they MUST follow the sila. If they break it then they cease to be a monastic. But.... layfolk can do retreats 1-3-10-20-30-45-60-90-etc..... and develop in wisdom and clear past traumas.
Then they can return to family life as a provider and fish, hunt, grow crops(which involves killing) raise livestock.
It is not readily available for some to completely change their careers or family life.
They most certainly can after attainment but it’s not required at this level of nobility.
I’m living proof of this, and have been “verified” by teacher on long course. Many attain stream entry after doing proper practice. Many stay silent about this, some speak freely about this. I speak out and challenge authority, if you tell me I must go right I go left. This is my nature, if it doesn’t make sense to me I challenge it.
It’s kinda taboo to speak of attainments here at DW, I’ve witnessed a few get crusified for doing so. I found this wrong speech on those who criticized those who voiced attainments and were criticized rudely. This is why I speak out because I can handle that kind of speech.
I also fish and eat fish and must provess(kill) fish and I’m a sotapanna. So it’s proof that a sotapanna can kill and I know I’m a sotapanna, so in my case I know exactly who I am.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Pondera wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:42 am What happens to those who reach Nirodha Samapatti but forget to end the defilements?
The way I understand, only Anagami and Arahants can enter Nirodha Samapatti.
They always emerge from that and never die in that state according to Sutta.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Pondera

Post by Pondera »

SarathW wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:02 am
Pondera wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:42 am What happens to those who reach Nirodha Samapatti but forget to end the defilements?
Thank you SarathW
Like the three marks of conditioned existence, this world in itself is filthy, hostile, and crowded
justindesilva

Post by justindesilva »

Pondera wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:55 am
Thank you SarathW
In this regard one may read article "nirodha samapatthi " ,,in sworld.wordpress.com by Ari Ubesekara.
With mettha.
thepea

Post by thepea »

justindesilva wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:31 am

Thank you SarathW
In this regard one may read article "nirodha samapatthi " ,,in sworld.wordpress.com by Ari Ubesekara.
With mettha.
What is nirodha samapatthi?
Describe in your own words.
Is it nibbana or different?
Only use your words.
justindesilva

Post by justindesilva »

thepea wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:36 am

Thank you SarathW
With mettha.
Only use your words.
Nirodha samapatthi is literally translated as attainment of cessation. And cessation is said of cessation of ideation and feeling, with the passing of 8th dyana.
It may be a route to nibbana , which is not within my intellect. The ubeysris article mentioned by me, and available on google gives a better picture.
Pondera

Post by Pondera »

Thank you SarathW
With mettha.
Only use your words.
Different or not - people will be arguing this question until the last sutta is forgotten or misplaced. Until the last computer with a link to suttacentral is destroyed.

Nibanna is defined as the ending of the effluents. One need not enter Nirodha Samapatti in order to end the effluents.

But Sariputta ended the effluents while in Nirodha Samapatti. That is why is asked what happens to a gainer of that state who “neglects” to end the effluents there.

And what is special about Nirodha Samapatti that ending the effluents there is considered the highest escape with no sequel?
Like the three marks of conditioned existence, this world in itself is filthy, hostile, and crowded
thepea

Post by thepea »

justindesilva wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:38 am

With mettha.
Only use your words.
Nirodha samapatthi is literally translated as attainment of cessation. And cessation is said of cessation of ideation and feeling, with the passing of 8th dyana.
It may be a route to nibbana , which is not within my intellect. The ubeysris article mentioned by me, and available on google gives a better picture.
So.... basically you have no idea what your talking about.
thepea

Post by thepea »

Pondera wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:06 am

With mettha.
Only use your words.
Different or not - people will be arguing this question until the last sutta is forgotten or misplaced. Until the last computer with a link to suttacentral is destroyed.

Nibanna is defined as the ending of the effluents. One need not enter Nirodha Samapatti in order to end the effluents.

But Sariputta ended the effluents while in Nirodha Samapatti. That is why is asked what happens to a gainer of that state who “neglects” to end the effluents there.

And what is special about Nirodha Samapatti that ending the effluents there is considered the highest escape with no sequel?
Because “it’s” nibanna. Let’s not complicate the dhamma sir.
Pondera

Post by Pondera »

thepea wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:22 am

Only use your words.

No “it’s” not. Nibanna is defined as the ending of the effluents - not the attainment of Nirodha Samapatti.
thepea

Post by thepea »

Pondera wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:16 am
thepea wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:22 am

No “it’s” not. Nibanna is defined as the ending of the effluents - not the attainment of Nirodha Samapatti.
Have you experienced this “ending of suffering”?
Take it from someone speaking from experience you are confusing this “end of suffering” with arahantship.
The sotapanna is gifted a “glimpse” of the ultimate truth.
Then as “the all” returns the sotapanna knows nibbana as the underlying peace within but has not full access to this peace on its own, where say an once returner or an arahant might.
The two are synonymous as far as states of ultimate reality go.
asahi

Post by asahi »

thepea wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:23 pm I also fish and eat fish and must provess(kill) fish and I’m a sotapanna. So it’s proof that a sotapanna can kill and I know I’m a sotapanna, so in my case I know exactly who I am.
Sotapanna is just a labeling . What does you awakened to , that is the question ! Prove that if you can .
No bashing No gossiping
auto

Post by auto »

Pondera wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:06 am But Sariputta ended the effluents while in Nirodha Samapatti. That is why is asked what happens to a gainer of that state who “neglects” to end the effluents there.

you are saying this because you think one can do insight during absorption. I don't get it how you not the very least see a controversial point, but instead going with your bias.
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

asahi wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:25 pm
thepea wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:23 pm I also fish and eat fish and must provess(kill) fish and I’m a sotapanna. So it’s proof that a sotapanna can kill and I know I’m a sotapanna, so in my case I know exactly who I am.
Sotapanna is just a labeling . What does you awakened to , that is the question ! Prove that if you can .
I think he will just prove it by using his own speech. :shrug:

He discarded Buddha's advice, precepts, Suttas, everything... Yet he claimed to be Sotapanna, one stage of the sainthoods proclaimed by the Buddha, which is only attainable by following the teachings of the Buddha.

For him, this is just a "game" for gaining recognition.
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false