The Buddha hasn't forgotten about us

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
dhammapal

Post by dhammapal »

Gotama the Buddha attained parinibbāna c. 483BC. But Nibbāna isn't annihilation just the end of suffering. Nibbāna is Awakening, so that means the Buddha hasn't forgotten about us. He isn't a God that can answer prayers, but I believe he still remembers us and is aware of us.
one_awakening

Re: The Buddha hasn't forgotten about us

Post by one_awakening »

Possibly. Hard to say as we don't really know what parinibbāna is.
“You only lose what you cling to”
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Buddha is not a person and the Nibbana is not a place.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
WorldTraveller

Post by WorldTraveller »

dhammapal wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:11 am Gotama the Buddha attained parinibbāna c. 483BC. But Nibbāna isn't annihilation just the end of suffering. Nibbāna is Awakening, so that means the Buddha hasn't forgotten about us. He isn't a God that can answer prayers, but I believe he still remembers us and is aware of us.
“Ānanda, that to some among you the thought will come: 'Ended is the word of The Buddha, we have The Buddha no longer.' But it should not be so considered. For that which I have proclaimed and made known as the Dhamma-vinayathat shall be your Master when I am gone.”

Mahāparinibbāna Sutta
HE'S GONE buddy! He's gone! :tongue:
mrgrtt123

Post by mrgrtt123 »

We have different believe, all I know is that he is looking after us. :toast:
A web designer at PetStreetMall, a place to find quality and affordable pet supplies
dhammapal

Post by dhammapal »

"Enough, Vakkali! What is there to see in this vile body? He who sees Dhamma, Vakkali, sees me; he who sees me sees Dhamma. Truly seeing Dhamma, one sees me; seeing me one sees Dhamma." ~ the Buddha, Samyutta Nikaya 22.87
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

Tathāgata
Thus gone, thus come

So not really here, nor really gone.
Last edited by cappuccino on Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
Coaching
I specialize in Theravada Buddhism.
santa100

Post by santa100 »

Don't worry about that scenario. Worry about US forgotten about Him (ie. forgotten the cultivation of Sila, Samadhi, Panna, which is what He really represents).
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

santa100 wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:49 am
Don't worry about that scenario. Worry about US forgotten about Him (ie. forgotten the cultivation of Sila, Samadhi, Panna, which is what He really represents).
:goodpost:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

The Buddha taught for the good of many, for all who could hear his message down to us today. But he died a long time ago and doesn't need to be around for his message to be relevant and timely.
sentinel

Post by sentinel »

dhammapal wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:11 am Gotama the Buddha attained parinibbāna c. 483BC. But Nibbāna isn't annihilation just the end of suffering. Nibbāna is Awakening, so that means the Buddha hasn't forgotten about us. He isn't a God that can answer prayers, but I believe he still remembers us and is aware of us.
The aggregates has gone , suffering ceases.
Thereafter Parinibbana , we don’t know !
Hereafter , not known !
You always gain by giving
budo

Post by budo »

For one who has piti, the senses are stressful. For one who sukha, piti is stressful. For one who has equanimity, sukha is stressful. For one who has non-existence, equanimity is stressful.

There is no more Buddha until the next one.

Nibbana isn't annihilation because there is nothing to annihilate.

The Buddha cannot remember you because he has no mental faculty to remember you with. Such a mental faculty would be stressful. The Buddha chose to be stress free rather than to remember you, a heap of aggregates with no self. Only selfish conceit wants to be remembered anyways.
AgarikaJ

Post by AgarikaJ »

budo wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:52 am For one who has piti, the senses are stressful. For one who sukha, piti is stressful. For one who has equanimity, sukha is stressful. For one who has non-existence, equanimity is stressful.

The Buddha cannot remember you because he has no mental faculty to remember you with. Such a mental faculty would be stressful. The Buddha chose to be stress free rather than to remember you, a heap of aggregates with no self. Only selfish conceit wants to be remembered anyways.

Why is there this hang to deification of what was and has been nothing more than an absolutely normal human being?

His life ended, as it will for all of us, in death; his body disintegrated, as our bodies will. The end.
The teaching is a lake with shores of ethics, unclouded, praised by the fine to the good.
There the knowledgeable go to bathe, and cross to the far shore without getting wet.
[SN 7.21]
budo

Post by budo »

AgarikaJ wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:46 am
budo wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:52 am For one who has piti, the senses are stressful. For one who sukha, piti is stressful. For one who has equanimity, sukha is stressful. For one who has non-existence, equanimity is stressful.

Why is there this hang to deification of what was and has been nothing more than an absolutely normal human being?

His life ended, as it will for all of us, in death; his body disintegrated, as our bodies will. The end.
Yes, it's disconcerting hearing Eternalism from a Buddhist when even some Ancient Vedic/Hindu schools like Patanjali didn't hold such views, they're closer to Buddhism than some Buddhist traditions/views.