how to deal with demons

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
squizzlebizzle

how to deal with demons

Post by squizzlebizzle »

I am haunted by a demon a ghost. At times it is a major inconvenience to life and to practice.

The only ways I know of to confront them directly require a high level attainment - such as entering the spirit body after 4th jhana.

The only practice I've found in the suttas about how to deal with this is metta. Metta doesn't work. The only other theravada approach is equanimity about being haunted. This is a non-ideal solution.

Does anyone have any experience overcoming this problem?
form

Re: how to deal with demons

Post by form »

Can u tell us about your experience?
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

The occasion for this discourse, in brief, according to the commentary, is as follows: The city of Vesali was afflicted by a famine, causing death, especially to the poor folk. Due to the presence of decaying corpses the evil spirits began to haunt the city; this was followed by a pestilence. Plagued by these three fears of famine, non-human beings and pestilence, the citizens sought the help of the Buddha who was then living at Rajagaha.

Ratana Sutta: The Jewel Discourse
Last edited by cappuccino on Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

Sorry to hear of your trouble, friend. I strongly advise you to speak to a ajahn/teacher. These things don't usually get resolved without outside help. :anjali:
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

To haunt another person is an immoral or evil deed; similar to harassment or rape. To overcome this, look down upon this evil deed, similar to how you would look down upon a rapist or other criminal. If you have high moral standards towards not harming others, your morals should protect you. Also practise recollection of the Buddha. If you accurately recollect the virtuous harmless loving qualities of the Buddha, this will cleanse the demon from your mind. Evil is overcome by goodness. Metta is not required. What is required is goodness & disempowering the demon via not being in awe of the demon.
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
sentinel

Post by sentinel »

squizzlebizzle wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:37 am I am haunted by a demon a ghost. At times it is a major inconvenience to life and to practice.

The only ways I know of to confront them directly require a high level attainment - such as entering the spirit body after 4th jhana.

The only practice I've found in the suttas about how to deal with this is metta. Metta doesn't work. The only other theravada approach is equanimity about being haunted. This is a non-ideal solution.

I have read somewhere about a monk (Mahayana) whom overcome spirit or demon by practising "Emptiness" meditation or base of Nothingness meditation where the demon could not find his whereabouts .
Another solution is find an adept teacher of vajrayana whom accomplished in "wrathful" deity meditation . But , one must has the sincerity , pure motivation , practise virtue and try to follow right path .
You always gain by giving
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

James Tan wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:40 am find an adept teacher of vajrayana whom accomplished in "wrathful" deity meditation .
I would avoid the above because you will end up worshipping the demon and be even more enslaved to the demon. The above is not Buddhism. The Buddha & his Noble Disciples vanquished Mara. They did not worship Mara.
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

squizzlebizzle

Post by squizzlebizzle »

cappuccino wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:41 am The occasion for this discourse, in brief, according to the commentary, is as follows: The city of Vesali was afflicted by a famine, causing death, especially to the poor folk. Due to the presence of decaying corpses the evil spirits began to haunt the city; this was followed by a pestilence. Plagued by these three fears of famine, non-human beings and pestilence, the citizens sought the help of the Buddha who was then living at Rajagaha.

Ratana Sutta: The Jewel Discourse

This was a really interesting sutta, thank you for sharing. But this is the problem: He doesn't say anything about what to do about it.
sentinel

Post by sentinel »

DooDoot wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:06 am
James Tan wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:40 am find an adept teacher of vajrayana whom accomplished in "wrathful" deity meditation .
I would avoid the above because you will end up worshipping the demon and be even more enslaved to the demon. The above is not Buddhism. The Buddha & his Noble Disciples vanquished Mara. They did not worship Mara.
It depends on how one define "Mara" !
If one is Not considering other sects as Buddhism is another thing , however ,
Not necessarily the other sects is to be seen as
demon , perhaps , it seems like Jain , samana , brahmana ie Hinduism and Christianity , even Taoism can lead one to kamaloka rupaloka and arupaloka realm where a person still can practice dhamma .
Last edited by sentinel on Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
squizzlebizzle

Post by squizzlebizzle »

dharmacorps wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:04 am Sorry to hear of your trouble, friend. I strongly advise you to speak to a ajahn/teacher. These things don't usually get resolved without outside help. :anjali:
The one time I met a monk was at a Goenka 10 day vipassana retreat. I tried to tell the monk that I was being disturbed by beings. He essentially said to ignore it, they are just forms. I thought he . would have a more substantial answer but he did not.
squizzlebizzle

Post by squizzlebizzle »

James Tan wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:40 am
squizzlebizzle wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:37 am I am haunted by a demon a ghost. At times it is a major inconvenience to life and to practice.

I have read somewhere about a monk (Mahayana) whom overcome spirit or demon by practising "Emptiness" meditation or base of Nothingness meditation where the demon could not find his whereabouts .
Another solution is find an adept teacher of vajrayana whom accomplished in "wrathful" deity meditation . But , one must has the sincerity , pure motivation , practise virtue and try to follow right path .
Heruka is a "Wrathful deity." Demons are not Vajrayana deities.
squizzlebizzle

Post by squizzlebizzle »

DooDoot wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:20 am To haunt another person is an immoral or evil deed; similar to harassment or rape. To overcome this, look down upon this evil deed, similar to how you would look down upon a rapist or other criminal. If you have high moral standards towards not harming others, your morals should protect you. Also practise recollection of the Buddha. If you accurately recollect the virtuous harmless loving qualities of the Buddha, this will cleanse the demon from your mind. Evil is overcome by goodness. Metta is not required. What is required is goodness & disempowering the demon via not being in awe of the demon.

I apppreciate the sentiment behind this comment but practicing virtue does not decrease the attacks.
sentinel

Post by sentinel »

squizzlebizzle wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:18 am

Heruka is a "Wrathful deity." Demons are not Vajrayana deities.
Agreed
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

squizzlebizzle wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:17 amHe essentially said to ignore it, they are just forms.
This was a sufficient answer. The "demons" only haunt when the "forms" & "sounds" are construed into "beings" or "selves".
squizzlebizzle wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:20 amI apppreciate the sentiment behind this comment but practicing virtue does not decrease the attacks.
It helps stop the effects of the attacks. Its like a boxer without defense. If there is no defense, the punches keep hitting. But when there is defense, the attack of punches have no effect.
Last edited by DooDoot on Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

squizzlebizzle

Post by squizzlebizzle »

DooDoot wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:21 am
squizzlebizzle wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:17 amHe essentially said to ignore it, they are just forms.
This was a sufficient answer. The demons only haunt when they are construed into "beings" or "selves".
It's not a sufficient answer. You are also wrong about when they haunt. Maybe you have not experienced it, which is fortunate for you. I recognize that not many people will be able to speak about this, most will just dismiss it. But I thought perhaps there is someone out there who understands this.