how to deal with demons

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
JamesTheGiant

Re: how to deal with demons

Post by JamesTheGiant »

pegembara wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:16 am
So, which method of defence should one choose when faced with disturbances by spirits? Just as in the art of self-defence, a person must learn all the different stances to enable him to apply the correct one when required.

http://psychoticbuddha.blogspot.com/201 ... citta.html
That link is really good. Recommended.

When I was living at a monastery, my ajahn said to us "(I paraphrase)
If you are attacked by a spirit, do two things: one is powerful metta, beaming it out like radiation. Spirits can't withstand such positive radiations and run away. Not just regular metta for yourself or another, but big metta, like the radiation of hot sunlight or heat from a huge fire. They can't come close.

The second is pure sila, pure mortality. Spirits are terrified of people with pure hearts, with pure sila. They flee from them.

And third is come to this monastery. There are no evil spirits within the boundaries of the monastery."
squizzlebizzle

Post by squizzlebizzle »

JamesTheGiant wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:58 am
pegembara wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:16 am
So, which method of defence should one choose when faced with disturbances by spirits? Just as in the art of self-defence, a person must learn all the different stances to enable him to apply the correct one when required.

http://psychoticbuddha.blogspot.com/201 ... citta.html
That link is really good. Recommended.

When I was living at a monastery, my ajahn said to us "(I paraphrase)
If you are attacked by a spirit, do two things: one is powerful metta, beaming it out like radiation. Spirits can't withstand such positive radiations and run away. Not just regular metta for yourself or another, but big metta, like the radiation of hot sunlight or heat from a huge fire. They can't come close.

The second is pure sila, pure mortality. Spirits are terrified of people with pure hearts, with pure sila. They flee from them.

And third is come to this monastery. There are no evil spirits within the boundaries of the monastery."
I have tried radiating metta on many of the occasions while being attacked. Perhaps I am not doing it with enough skill yet. I will keep trying.

I am already trying to practice sila as tightly as i can.

But these statements cannot be true. The buddha was attacked by demons constantly, and he was the Tathagata. The suttas have stories of arahants being attacked by demons, and they are arahants.
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

squizzlebizzle wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:18 am But these statements cannot be true. The buddha was attacked by demons constantly, and he was the Tathagata. The suttas have stories of arahants being attacked by demons, and they are arahants.
Hmm, yes that's a good point. :shrug:
form

Post by form »

Is there a video on how one is attacked by a demon?
arch

Post by arch »

Hi

We’re you able to find help? I have been dealing with the same for the past 2 years. I was a strong a Vipassana meditator before this and feel that they were able to connect through other connections of mine. They are very harmful and harm continuously… I have been looking for help too.

-A
Dhammavamsa

Post by Dhammavamsa »

Maybe Atanatiya Sutta will help ?
Deleted
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

how you know its ghost and not your brain doing tricks?
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
Pondera

Post by Pondera »

It’s schizophrenia. I know because I AM A SCHIZOPHRENIC.

I have one demon at the moment. If I open my crown chakra then I have one demon and one brahma.

Ie. (as the Buddha has said) “in this world with its Mara’s and Brahmas).

Try opening your third eye. This is a good way to shut them up.

Try concentrating on your breathing diaphragm. This is also a good way to shut them up.

I have auditory, visual, and tactile hallucinations. It is called Schizophrenia.

Whatever you call it - drugs like (for example) quetiapine are helpful https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quetiapine

If I wasn’t on quetiapine I would be rocking back and forth with my knees between my arms in a PADDED ROOM.

Get HELP! Talk to a medical doctor and get advice.

Burning sage WONT HELP!

Calling upon JESUS CHRIST won’t help! (Well. When I do, my demon hisses and scurries away. But he always comes back. My Brahma goes “pff - yeah right).

Chanting mantras won’t help. They DON’T care. They’re too powerful. They’re not afraid of you or your sage or your mantras.

If anything, they are like this.

If you only suffer moderately, they will teach you certain spiritual things.

If you do well and master those things, then the voices will grow less frequent, less severe, and less audible.

If you fail, they will try to kill you by convincing you that suicide is the only way out.

I have good days and bad days. On a good day I don’t hear anything and they’re quiet.

On a bad day, all I want is for the anxiety to end and to end my life. But I carry on. I have responsibilities and obligations to people.

That is ONLY because I’m medicated.

If I was severe and NOT medicated it would be “kill your self. You’re the anti christ. Kill your self before the beast takes over your body and brings about the Apocalypse. You will burn in Hell”.

And all sorts of pleasant things like that. :tongue:
Like the three marks of conditioned existence, this world in itself is filthy, hostile, and crowded
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

Pondera wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:09 am It’s schizophrenia.

On a bad day, all I want is for the anxiety to end and to end my life. But I carry on.
the desire to end anxiety is one thing

the desire to end life is another

you have not confused these

perhaps anxiety will end
Coaching
I specialize in Theravada Buddhism.
Pondera

Post by Pondera »

cappuccino wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:16 am
Pondera wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:09 am It’s schizophrenia.

On a bad day, all I want is for the anxiety to end and to end my life. But I carry on.
the desire to end anxiety is one thing

the desire to end life is another

you have not confused these

perhaps anxiety will end
Insightful. They are certainly two very different ailments.

For me. They come at the same time. Like two spouts of water coming out from a dam.

I stop one and the other rushes out twice as fast.

A juggling act. :juggling:

The trick is to shut the voices up completely.

My third eye has a tendency to close. Which hinders insight. Which is counter productive. Because I need insight to realize that if I simply open my third eye, the voices lose their footing and the thoughts of anxiety and suicide automatically cease.

It’s a day to day struggle.

I used to know what it was like to watch the days and nights go through my hands like sand.

Now. Every day is a struggle from morning to night to battle with these entities. Every moment is captured as a defeat or a victory.

In general, I am winning. But the long game is a hard one to play.
Like the three marks of conditioned existence, this world in itself is filthy, hostile, and crowded
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

Pondera wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:26 am Every day is a struggle from morning to night to battle with these entities. Every moment is captured as a defeat or a victory.
everyone has a voice in their head

well I cannot speak for everyone

but I would think so
Coaching
Dhammavamsa

Post by Dhammavamsa »

cappuccino wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:27 am
Pondera wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:26 am Every day is a struggle from morning to night to battle with these entities. Every moment is captured as a defeat or a victory.
everyone has a voice in their head

well I cannot speak for everyone

but I would think so
Wow, how you guys or everyone got a voice in your head?
I don't experience it at all, be it meditating or daily life. Are you sure those people normal in term of mental health?
Deleted
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

Dhammavamsa wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:36 am Are you sure those people normal in term of mental health?
the voice I hear is only imaginary

talking to myself

I don't actually hear
Coaching
Dhammavamsa

Post by Dhammavamsa »

cappuccino wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:37 am
Dhammavamsa wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:36 am Are you sure those people normal in term of mental health?
the voice I hear is only imaginary

talking to myself
Oh I see. Freak me out. I thought everyone here literally got a different voice in their head. To me, it is schizophrenia and I saw them in Hospital, really unfortunate and disturbing.
Deleted
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

Dhammavamsa wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:38 am . To me, it is schizophrenia and I saw them in Hospital, really unfortunate and disturbing.
so those suttas that describe the Buddha, Anuruddha,etc, hearing devas conversing when developing psychic powers or those suttas where Mara is intruding are really about schizophrenia?
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati