Cambodia (Siem Reap) - any good, active monasteries?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Empty Yogi

Cambodia (Siem Reap) - any good, active monasteries?

Post by Empty Yogi »

Hi

Anybody know if there are monasteries in Cambodia (especially Siem Reap) with active, good quality practitioners?

Online I can only find tourist information. Maybe somebody here can help?

I’m a Buddhist practitioner (mainly Tibetan but have some Theravada exposure). I am thinking of moving to Cambodia for 6-12 months. I work online but have 3-4 hours/day where I’d like to go to a monastery to practice, talk dharma, and help out. I’d particularly like to go to a Theravada monastery.

I’m thinking of Cambodia, Siem Reap, because it is inexpensive, I can live on the outskirts of Siem Reap where it is quiet, have good internet (for work) and be close to a few active monasteries (Wat Bo, Wat Phrom Roy, Wat Dom Nak)

If it weren’t for visa issues and the need for internet I would go to a forest monastery in Thailand. I mention this as a reference to say I’m interested in a practitioner oriented place (as opposed to a ritual or academic oriented monastery).

Thanks!
thang

Re: Cambodia (Siem Reap) - any good, active monasteries?

Post by thang »

I think you can find some information here: http://sangham.net/
It is a forum administered by a western monk residing in Cambodia.
"Bhikkhus, whatever the Tathāgata speaks, _ all that is just so and NOT otherwise."
Kim OHara

Re: Cambodia (Siem Reap) - any good, active monasteries?

Post by Kim OHara »

Empty Yogi wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:39 pm ...I’m thinking of Cambodia, Siem Reap, because it is inexpensive, I can live on the outskirts of Siem Reap where it is quiet, have good internet (for work) and be close to a few active monasteries (Wat Bo, Wat Phrom Roy, Wat Dom Nak)
Cambodia on average will have a low cost of living but Siem Reap is so heavily tourist-oriented that it may be more expensive than most of the country. You might find comparisons with (e.g.) Phnom Penh, Sihanoukville, Battambang worthwhile if you haven't already checked.

:coffee:
Kim