Why does Sotappana assure no lower life?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
DooDoot

Re: Why does Sotappana assure no lower life?

Post by DooDoot »

SarathW wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:05 amSotapanna still thinks in terms of I and you. Even Buddha use it as a convention.
Possibly... when speaking in conventions (such as when speaking to children or to grandmothers) but not when explaining Dhamma.
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Could you write that phrase without you please?
I create a post in the line with this and ven .Dhammanado mentioned that in Eglish we can't write like that.
I can't locate the post.
Thanks.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

I found it.
Translation error in MN10.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=33528&p=500270&hilit=
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

This appears to be a basic or low level practise, where the word "pajānāti" is used; which is not even " sampajāna" (saṃ + pajāna). "Sampajāna" is "thorough" (saṃ) "pajānāti" (pajāna) rather than mere ordinary "pajānāti". I imagine a sotappana has lots of "sampajāna".
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

Post by Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta »

Someone seriously needs to learn how to quote properly on DW. Repeated mistakes regarding quotations, deliberate or otherwise, won't do any good.

The following "quotation" is wrong:
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:56 am
Jerafreyr wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:44 pm Breaking the supports that hold up the roof of an illusory self is what causes karma to no longer stick. Once you experience the moment when you are free from self you receive the assurance of the eightfold path. You may fall back into patterns of creating karma but they will mostly be good. At this point you are incapable of regressing into lower paths and [you] are destined to be called an awakened one.
:goodpost:
SarathW wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:57 am Yes it is a :goodpost:
𝓑𝓾𝓭𝓭𝓱𝓪 𝓗𝓪𝓭 𝓤𝓷𝓮𝓺𝓾𝓲𝓿𝓸𝓬𝓪𝓵𝓵𝔂 𝓓𝓮𝓬𝓵𝓪𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽
  • Iᴅᴇᴀ ᴏꜰ Sᴏᴜʟ ɪs Oᴜᴛᴄᴏᴍᴇ ᴏꜰ ᴀɴ Uᴛᴛᴇʀʟʏ Fᴏᴏʟɪsʜ Vɪᴇᴡ
    V. Nanananda

𝓐𝓷𝓪𝓽𝓽ā 𝓜𝓮𝓪𝓷𝓼 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽 𝓣𝓱𝓮𝓻𝓮 𝓘𝓼
  • Nᴏ sᴜᴄʜ ᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴀs ᴀ Sᴇʟғ, Sᴏᴜʟ, Eɢᴏ, Sᴘɪʀɪᴛ, ᴏʀ Āᴛᴍᴀɴ
    V. Buddhādasa
sunnat

Post by sunnat »

The instructions are progressive. From monks (established in silas) Go sit. Crosslegged (stable posture, can fall asleep and not fall over). Upright (not intentionally moving) to focus on the area around the mouth with the right mindset (ardent, unwavering, equanimous) then on to. Body in body. I am this I am that I am neither this nor that. Then on to a realisation that this is body (not this is my body) with bare awareness, just awareness and on to... Etc for all kayanupassana, vedana, citta and dhamma. To be experienced
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:09 am Someone seriously needs to learn how to quote properly on DW. Repeated mistakes regarding quotations, deliberate or otherwise, won't do any good.

The following "quotation" is wrong:
The above appears to be an example of taking "rules personally". Keep in mind fetters to be cut for stream-entry:

1. Identity-view

2. Clinging to rules

3. Doubt or confusion about the path. :spy:

Disciple

Post by Disciple »

How difficult is it to attain stream entry?
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

DooDoot wrote:
SarathW wrote:Sotapanna still thinks in terms of I and you. Even Buddha use it as a convention.
Possibly... when speaking in conventions (such as when speaking to children or to grandmothers) but not when explaining Dhamma.
there is no need to speak differently

nor a way to speak differently
2600htz

Post by 2600htz »

Hello:

A Sotapanna is free from states of woe because he cannot longer commit the six major wrongdoings, but mainly because of being free of false beliefs (niyata micca ditthi). Most people are not going to kill an arahant or their mother in the next couple of rebirths, things a sotapanna cannot longer do any more, but false beliefs are much more common and widely spread.

Regards.
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Ajahn Amaro talks about Sotapanna level here:

:anjali: