What is the cleaning s n Goenka spooks about?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
user99

What is the cleaning s n Goenka spooks about?

Post by user99 »

What is the cleaning?
mikenz66

Re: What is the cleaning s n Goenka spooks about?

Post by mikenz66 »

user99 wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:29 pm What is the cleaning?
Presumably you mean "speaks", not "spooks"? :shock:

Could you explain a little more about the context, and/or give a reference?

:heart:
Mike
sunnat

Post by sunnat »

Sweeping?
user99

Post by user99 »

Goenka said that if it hasnt become better it depends of that the cleaning hasnt start.
budo

Post by budo »

Purifying the cause of tension in the body via body scanning.

My own theory is that when the body is hard and conditoned, the mind is weak and over stimulated. When the body is soft, the mind is more sensitive, can discern more, and is thus strong.
ehensens

Post by ehensens »

budo wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:03 pm Purifying the cause of tension in the body via body scanning.

My own theory is that when the body is hard and conditoned, the mind is weak and over stimulated. When the body is soft, the mind is more sensitive, can discern more, and is thus strong.
budo, could you please explain what you mean by "hard" and "soft" body? Thank you!
user99

Post by user99 »

A soft body. As a child.
budo

Post by budo »

ehensens wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:51 pm
budo wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:03 pm Purifying the cause of tension in the body via body scanning.

budo, could you please explain what you mean by "hard" and "soft" body? Thank you!
Conditioned to pain and stimulus is what I mean, so like junk food, body builders, people who are stressed out and have a lot of tension in their body.

The mind stores trauma and tension in the body (this has been studied on war veterans). When this happens the mind isn't sensitive to feelings, as people become conditioned to pain they can no longer feel pain so much, it doesn't mean the tension isn't there, it just means the mind isn't sensitive anymore.

When the body is "hard" or "conditioned", the mind is not sensitive and thus can't discern stress and pain well. Hence people are often masochistic and do things that cause them pain without realizing it.

Once someone starts meditating then all the tension will start to come to the surface as they start releasing it. After a year or more of consistent daily meditation they can start releasing very deep seated and rooted body tension, and then move from tension to the body, to tension in the mind.

I find that the deep tension causes nausea when it is discerned and released, which may align with the symptoms that rise later on the Progress of Insight such as disgust, drawbacks, dispassion, etc..

But basically, you cannot get to the tension in the mind without first going through the body, it's like peeling an onion.

I notice politicians and criminal lawyers who live stressful lives, once they retire can sometimes just drop dead because all the tension comes out at once which kills them, I've read many articles of such cases.

user99 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:03 pm A soft body. As a child.
Yes, the asavas are dormant in a child, so the child has a soft body.

Also I'd like to add, people try to escape the tension in their body with cravings, but this only causes more tension, which creates a snowball effect.
user99

Post by user99 »

Very interesting post. Thank you.