Religious tolerance

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
form

Religious tolerance

Post by form »

Did the Buddha promote tolerance towards other religions?
rolling_boulder

Re: Religious tolerance

Post by rolling_boulder »

Sure, there was even a spot at (I believe) the Jeta grove monastery for Jain ascetics to live
The world is swept away. It does not endure...
The world is without shelter, without protector...
The world is without ownership. One has to pass on, leaving everything behind...
The world is insufficient, insatiable, a slave to craving.
Sherab

Post by Sherab »

form wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:30 am Did the Buddha promote tolerance towards other religions?
What a weird question. Why would the Buddha promote tolerance or intolerance of any religion? The Buddha was only interested in liberating sentient beings from senseless samsara. That's it and nothing else.
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

Sherab wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:46 am The Buddha was only interested in liberating sentient beings from senseless samsara. That's it and nothing else.
Not at all. Have you read the suttas?
He have advice to householders about how to have a happy and healthy life, he advised devout lay-followers of other religions to continue to support their sadhus and recluses, he gave advice to kings and princess about how to run an effective kingdom, he talked about a lot of worldly things.
form

Post by form »

I am sorry that I did not put the background for this discussion topic earlier. It came from my recent reading Dr W Rahula "what did the Buddha taught" again.

He proposed this which caught my attention this time and he cited the sutta about what the Buddha said to a Jain that wanted to be a Buddhist being counter convinced after a debate, to continue to respect jain stuff etc. He also cited the rule of a Buddhist king that allowed religious tolerance.

This is quite a change for me as I often read about Buddha debate with other sects that only one can be correct.
form

Post by form »

JamesTheGiant wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:34 am
Sherab wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:46 am The Buddha was only interested in liberating sentient beings from senseless samsara. That's it and nothing else.
He have advice to householders about how to have a happy and healthy life, he advised devout lay-followers of other religions to continue to support their sadhus and recluses, he gave advice to kings and princess about how to run an effective kingdom, he talked about a lot of worldly things.
I was just going thru those. Indeed very practical and meant for everyday life.
binocular

Post by binocular »

JamesTheGiant wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:34 amHe have advice to householders about how to have a happy and healthy life, he advised devout lay-followers of other religions to continue to support their sadhus and recluses, he gave advice to kings and princess about how to run an effective kingdom, he talked about a lot of worldly things.
He was also skilled in the art of talking diplomatically.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
form

Post by form »

binocular wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:04 am
JamesTheGiant wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:34 amHe have advice to householders about how to have a happy and healthy life, he advised devout lay-followers of other religions to continue to support their sadhus and recluses, he gave advice to kings and princess about how to run an effective kingdom, he talked about a lot of worldly things.
He was also skilled in the art of talking diplomatically.
Especially in the case when he talked to a king that killed his own father, if he dun talk carefully, he may be killed or faced something bad. After the king left, then he revealed unfavourable things about the king.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

I would say it depends on the religion
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
Antaradhana

Post by Antaradhana »

It is important to understand that at the time of the Buddha in the territory of the Indian principalities, there was only one formed religion - Brahmanism. Buddha did not recognize the authority of the Vedas, and also said that in earlier times (era), the brahmans led a righteous life, and the current brahmanas mired in debauchery, chasing fame and wealth, and well as polluted themselves with bloody sacrifices. Buddha tried to turn the Brahmins to Dhamma, and some of them became either monks or worldly followers of the Buddha. New teachings appeared among the samans, such as the teachings of the Makkhali Gosala and Nigantha Nataputta, but the Buddha strongly criticized their teachings as false and leading to decay.
All that is subject to arising is subject to termination, all formations are non-permanent. And that which is impermanent is suffering. Regarding what is impermanent and prone to suffering, one cannot say: "This is mine, I am this, this is my self".
binocular

Post by binocular »

form wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:52 amEspecially in the case when he talked to a king that killed his own father, if he dun talk carefully, he may be killed or faced something bad. After the king left, then he revealed unfavourable things about the king.
Hence one needs to be careful and not jump to the conclusion that the suttas support modern ecumenical ideas like religious tolerance.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
Sherab

Post by Sherab »

JamesTheGiant wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:34 am
Yes but these are borne of expediencies and tailored to specific individuals or situations. It is not promotion per se. If it is promotion, it would as a support to the promotion of the Dhamma of liberation of the Buddha.