All attachment and suffering are fundamentally voluntary.

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Grigoris

Re: All attachment and suffering are fundamentally voluntary.

Post by Grigoris »

binocular wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:43 pmIn contrast, in Buddhism, we get a standard formula like this:
“From an inconceivable beginning comes the wandering-on. A beginning point is not discernible, though beings hindered by ignorance and fettered by craving are transmigrating & wandering on.
https://www.dhammatalks.org/suttas/SN/SN15_9.html
This does not contradict their claim that the essence of mind is unconditioned. If something is unconditioned it, by definition, has no beginning or end.
ye dhammā hetuppabhavā tesaṁ hetuṁ tathāgato āha,
tesaṃca yo nirodho - evaṁvādī mahāsamaṇo.

Of those phenomena which arise from causes:
Those causes have been taught by the Tathāgata,
And their cessation too - thus proclaims the Great Ascetic.
Grigoris

Post by Grigoris »

Zom wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:54 pmThe ultimate nature of mind is suffering...
That would mean that liberation is unattainable.

Zom

Post by Zom »

exactly the opposite
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Grigoris wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:02 pm
Sam Vara wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:07 amto mean that in the West, we somehow lack the mental tools or the language to deal with or understand what some non-Western Buddhists mean when they talk about mind.
Yes, we lack the language. How many terms for mind are you aware of in English?
1:1 correspondences between terms in different languages has little to do with whether we lack the mental tools or the language to deal with concepts from another language. My thesaurus gives dozens of terms for concepts associated with mind, perception, thought, etc., and by judicious use of multiple terms, I guess we can handle most of what other cultures present us with. If we can't, then I wonder how anyone (yourself included) made any progress in that direction.
I have not come across any detailed and analysis of mind like that found in Abhidhamma and Abhidharma.
The old problem of induction would suggest that this tells us little of whether such a thing actually exists, though; and far less of whether less detailed and subtle analyses are any bar to understanding those texts.
You cannot see why training, education and experience in psychology could give somebody an insight into how limited the work on mind is?
Of course I can, but I'm also aware of the dangers of déformation professionnelle. Current clinical psychology is one thing, and "Western thought" is another.
Western thought tends to focus on material (ie neurological) pathways.

Mind is generally considered to be a consequence of the brain and brain function
Ah, yes, there's that equation between what you know and "Western thought" again. Spinoza and Hume and James didn't use the term "neurological pathways" at all, so far as I can remember...
I believe our technical language fails us. That is the piece of equipment we are lacking.
So, as a Westerner, you failed to understand because you lacked the technical language? Or, by judicious use of concepts, did you somehow manage to get around the problem?
Last edited by Sam Vara on Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grigoris

Post by Grigoris »

Zom wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:15 pm
exactly the opposite
If the ultimate (which implies unconditioned) nature of mind is suffering, that means that it cannot be altered since it is not dependent on causes and conditions. In which case suffering is/was/will be forever.

How is it that liberation is possible then?

Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Grigoris wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:37 pm
If the ultimate (which implies unconditioned) nature of mind is suffering, that means that it cannot be altered since it is not dependent on causes and conditions. In which case suffering is/was/will be forever.

[/quote]

Suffering would be forever only if the mind was forever. Liberation might be liberation from, as opposed to of, the mind.
Grigoris

Post by Grigoris »

Sam Vara wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:37 pmIf we can't, then I wonder how anyone (yourself included) made any progress in that direction.
By using their terms since some of them are essentially untranslatable.
The old problem of induction would suggest that this tells us little of whether such a thing actually exists, though; and far less of whether less detailed and subtle analyses are any bar to understanding those texts.
I am not interested in philosophical gymnastics.
Of course I can, but I'm also aware of the dangers of déformation professionnelle. Current clinical psychology is one thing, and "Western thought" is another.
I didn't/wouldn't say that clinical psychology is all that Western thought has to offer on mind and it's functioning. But I would say that it is pretty bloody central.
Ah, yes, there's that equation between what you know and "Western thought" again. Spinoza and Hume and James didn't use the term "neurological pathways" at all, so far as I can remember...
I do not believe that Spinoza and Hume can even hold a candle to Buddhist analysis of mind function. They are too trapped in the realm of theory. Like I said earlier: Buddhism is not a philosophy in the Western sense, it is a praxis.
So, as a Westerner, you failed to understand because you lacked the technical language?
No, mainly because I have just adopted Buddhist terminology and the conceptual elaboration of the terms, rather than just throwing around the terms mind.

Atman/Atta is another term which is wrongly translated into "self" or "soul" for Western consumption, when neither of these terms adequately defines it. I prefer to use the term "atman" and then describe it's characteristics. If any Western concept comes close to describing "atman", it is the Cathar Gnostic interpretation of the soul.

But that is a whole other discussion.

Grigoris

Post by Grigoris »

Sam Vara wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:41 pm
Grigoris wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:37 pm If the ultimate (which implies unconditioned) nature of mind is suffering, that means that it cannot be altered since it is not dependent on causes and conditions. In which case suffering is/was/will be forever.

Suffering would be forever only if the mind was forever. Liberation might be liberation from, as opposed to of, the mind.
Sure. But now you are saying that suffering is somehow separate to "mind", while we still have not defined the woefully inadequate term "mind". :smile:
Last edited by Grigoris on Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zom

Post by Zom »

If the nature of mind is unconditioned, then it is impossible to change the mind, to cleanse it. Thus, it will be forever defiled. But precisely because mind is totally conditioned, it is possible to cleanse it, and once the mind loses its craving to existence and self-sustaining, it stops reproducing itself, completely ceasing on final cessation (which is nibbana). This is what Buddha taught. Anything else is false non-Dhamma, the shelter of eternalists.
Grigoris

Post by Grigoris »

Zom wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:50 pm
If the nature of mind is unconditioned, then it is impossible to change the mind, to cleanse it. Thus, it will be forever defiled. But precisely because mind is totally conditioned, it is possible to cleanse it, and once the mind loses its craving to existence and self-sustaining, it stops reproducing itself, completely ceasing on final cessation (which is nibbana). This is what Buddha taught. Anything else is false non-Dhamma, the shelter of eternalists.
1. I did not posit that the nature of mind is unconditioned. :strawman: 2. We still have not defined what is meant by mind. 3. Name calling is generally not considered an effective form of argumentation.

Zom

Post by Zom »

I did not posit that the nature of mind is unconditioned
But you did: "If the ultimate (which implies unconditioned) nature...".
We still have not defined what is meant by mind.
This is something that cognizes. But doesn't matter, really, since everything is suffering, impermanent, and notself.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Grigoris wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:47 pm
Sam Vara wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:37 pmIf we can't, then I wonder how anyone (yourself included) made any progress in that direction.
By using their terms since some of them are essentially untranslatable.
See my earlier point about 1:1 translation of terms. Had you not been able to translate their terms into concepts that you could understand, then you couldn't have used them.
I am not interested in philosophical gymnastics.
I appreciate that, but that's more at the level of gentle stretching than gymnastics.
I didn't/wouldn't say that clinical psychology is all that Western thought has to offer on mind and it's functioning. But I would say that it is pretty bloody central.
Maybe the bits you are missing lie somewhat off-centre...
I do not believe that Spinoza and Hume can even hold a candle to Buddhist analysis of mind function. They are too trapped in the realm of theory. Like I said earlier: Buddhism is not a philosophy in the Western sense, it is a praxis.
Yes, I understand that, but the question is not one of direct comparison, or who is better or worse, or more theoretical or practical; it is one of whether "the West" gives us (via these and hundreds of other thinkers) the concepts by which we can understand what Buddhists in other cultures have thought and said.
No, mainly because I have just adopted Buddhist terminology and the conceptual elaboration of the terms, rather than just throwing around the terms mind.
Yes, hence my point on the futility of looking for 1:1 verbal correlations. That's always going to lead us astray. We often use a bundle of different English words in order to grasp a Buddhist term or phrase, and rightly so. That's what I mean when I say that "the West" furnishes us with the words and concepts we need in order to do that.
Atman/Atta is another term which is wrongly translated into "self" or "soul" for Western consumption, when neither of these terms adequately defines it. I prefer to use the term "atman" and then describe it's characteristics. If any Western concept comes close to describing "atman", it is the Cathar Gnostic interpretation of the soul.
Agreed, at least the first part. I don't know about Gnostic Cathars, but I'm interested in historico-theological gymnastics, so I'll have a Google! :anjali:
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Grigoris wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:49 pm Sure. But now you are saying that suffering is somehow separate to "mind", while we still have not defined the woefully inadequate term "mind". :smile:
No, I've not got a position on this one. I'm not capable of defining the English term, and as far as I understand the various Buddhist candidates are used inconsistently. I'm just pointing out that things might be different from the way you portray them.
Grigoris

Post by Grigoris »

Zom wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:54 pm
I did not posit that the nature of mind is unconditioned
But you did: "If the ultimate (which implies unconditioned) nature...".
Still beating the straw man, huh? And cherry picking too...

Don't mind me, please don't let me interrupt your conversation with yourself.

chownah

Post by chownah »

Grigoris wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:05 pm
...but I do agree that from what I have seen it probably is an extremely nuanced anaysis of mind....but I'm not sure because I've not read enough of it to make that determination credibly.....why do you recommend I go study some?
chownah
I think you have already answered your own question.
Please tell me how I answered my own question...that question being "why do you recommend I go study some?" I still have no idea why you made the unsolicited recommendation.
chownah