Looking for Sri Lankan Monastery to practice Brahma-viharas

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Polar Bear

Looking for Sri Lankan Monastery to practice Brahma-viharas

Post by Polar Bear »

Hi Everyone,

I’m wondering if anyone knows of a monastery in Sri Lanka where one can specifically request to do a retreat focusing on developing the Brahma-viharas in the classical way outlined in the Visuddhimagga, or in a way fairly similar to it if not perfectly faithful.

Thanks for your time.

:anjali:
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."
bazzaman

Re: Looking for Sri Lankan Monastery to practice Brahma-viharas

Post by bazzaman »

Bramavihara practice 'according to Visuddhimagga' would be taught at Sri Lankan monestaries that are aligned with the Pa-Auk Sayadaw. But these are usally taught after the yogi has developed samadhi with other practices. I have heard that the reason for this is that the objects are very subtle and difficult to develop without prior development of samadhi.
Atāṇo loko anabhissaro...

Yena yena hi maññanti tato taṃ hoti aññathā,
cappuccino

Re: Looking for Sri Lankan Monastery to practice Brahma-viharas

Post by cappuccino »

why a monastery?

just do it
"All men's souls are immortal, but the souls of the righteous are immortal and divine." -Socrates
Good for Your Soul