I'm being tired
Then give it a rest.
indeed
Coaching
I specialize in Theravada Buddhism.
Talisman25

Re: Monastics and suicide

Post by Talisman25 »

I have just learned of Bikkhu Samahita’s passing. I have read the comments and I feel that as Dhamma practitioners we are missing something very important.

Bikkhu Samahita was not only a monk he was also clearly an Ajahn or Dhamma teacher of the highest calibre: in that capacity his modern means of communicating the Dhamma reached many people, myself included.

Bikkhu Samahita was also a man dwelling in samsara : Jan Erik Hansen, thereby subject to the vicissitudes of life which as Bhuddists we attribute to past khamma ripening as khamma-vipaka.

I strongly believe that Ajahn Samahita’s dhamma teachings are ongoing if we choose to investigate further. I would like to follow those lessons in the context of a new thread. Ajahn Samahita has a dhamma teachings on you tube under “ Dhamma on air.”

I am going to open a new thread under one of those titles: The Ultimate Comeback Kid.” My intention is to continue my understanding of dhamma, I would ask that anyone who wishes to comment first watch the video for context.
thepea

Post by thepea »

Talisman25 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:01 pm I have just learned of Bikkhu Samahita’s passing. I have read the comments and I feel that as Dhamma practitioners we are missing something very important.

Bikkhu Samahita was not only a monk he was also clearly an Ajahn or Dhamma teacher of the highest calibre: in that capacity his modern means of communicating the Dhamma reached many people, myself included.

Bikkhu Samahita was also a man dwelling in samsara : Jan Erik Hansen, thereby subject to the vicissitudes of life which as Bhuddists we attribute to past khamma ripening as khamma-vipaka.

I strongly believe that Ajahn Samahita’s dhamma teachings are ongoing if we choose to investigate further. I would like to follow those lessons in the context of a new thread. Ajahn Samahita has a dhamma teachings on you tube under “ Dhamma on air.”

I am going to open a new thread under one of those titles: The Ultimate Comeback Kid.” My intention is to continue my understanding of dhamma, I would ask that anyone who wishes to comment first watch the video for context.
My original concern which has not been addressed is that the bhikku had been practicing his dhamma for decades I would have assumed the Kamma leading to him committing suicide would have been exhausted over this period of time.
It leads me to the concern of what exactly he was teaching and where do bhikku s recieve ajahn status from. It seems a system destined to promote the decline of dhamma where anyone in robes can declare them self a teacher, when seclusion and practice may be what they require.
I’m not drawing this as a conclusion to the bhikku, I’m just saying it isn’t sitting well with me and my understanding of dhamma.
Garrib

Post by Garrib »

thepea wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:56 am
Talisman25 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:01 pm I have just learned of Bikkhu Samahita’s passing. I have read the comments and I feel that as Dhamma practitioners we are missing something very important.

My original concern which has not been addressed is that the bhikku had been practicing his dhamma for decades I would have assumed the Kamma leading to him committing suicide would have been exhausted over this period of time.
It leads me to the concern of what exactly he was teaching and where do bhikku s recieve ajahn status from. It seems a system destined to promote the decline of dhamma where anyone in robes can declare them self a teacher, when seclusion and practice may be what they require.
I’m not drawing this as a conclusion to the bhikku, I’m just saying it isn’t sitting well with me and my understanding of dhamma.
Does living in a remote jungle hermitage on a rural Sri Lankan mountain and practicing meditation there for years count as "seclusion" and "practice"? If so, then Bhante Samahita had seclusion and practice.
thepea

Post by thepea »

Garrib wrote:
Does living in a remote jungle hermitage on a rural Sri Lankan mountain and practicing meditation there for years count as "seclusion" and "practice"? If so, then Bhante Samahita had seclusion and practice.
Understand I’m not stating facts from about the bhikku, but perhaps his elaborate internet teachings were a distraction from looking at the more deep rooted complexes. For example when something of this nature were to arise a nice little dhamma distraction on the internet was used like a drug to help to suppress this complex.
It is possible to use such things ones entire life and never once ever really face ones past kamma.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

thepea wrote: I would have assumed the Kamma leading to him committing suicide would have been exhausted over this period of time.
well… suicide is just dying early
Coaching
thepea

Post by thepea »

cappuccino wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:30 pm
thepea wrote: I would have assumed the Kamma leading to him committing suicide would have been exhausted over this period of time.
well… suicide is just dying early
Not really.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

thepea wrote:
cappuccino wrote: well… suicide is just dying early
Not really.
how so?
Coaching
thepea

Post by thepea »

cappuccino wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:28 pm
thepea wrote:
cappuccino wrote: well… suicide is just dying early
Not really.
how so?
It’s immoral. Nothing just about it.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

thepea wrote:
cappuccino wrote:
thepea wrote:
Not really.
how so?
It’s immoral.
suicide is not well-thought-out

I guess
Coaching
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

whenever I considered suicide:
either it was cruel to others, or (I foresaw) my future was good
Last edited by cappuccino on Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Coaching
thepea

Post by thepea »

cappuccino wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:26 am whenever I considered suicide:
either it was cruel to others, or my future was good
Incomplete.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

thepea wrote: