Population of women in theravada communities

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Swami Bananananda

Population of women in theravada communities

Post by Swami Bananananda »

I am interested to know the population of women in theravada communities.

This does not include women who are born into theravada buddhist families in southeast Asian countries or children of immigrant families living in United States/Europe/etc.

It also does not include women who have been to goenka 10 day vipassana treats as part of their search for a path to follow.

I am curious to know if women in the western world are inclined towards such views and lifestyles. According to the gender roles/gender mental make-ups in western society, are women interested in this topic?
Nicolas

Re: Population of women in theravada communities

Post by Nicolas »

At my local Theravada/insight meditation center (in the United States), there are about the same amount of men and women, or perhaps slightly more women than men.
binocular

Post by binocular »

Swami Bananananda wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:02 pmI am curious to know if women in the western world are inclined towards such views and lifestyles. According to the gender roles/gender mental make-ups in western society, are women interested in this topic?
At this forum, for example, the majority of posters are male.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
Wizard in the Forest

Post by Wizard in the Forest »

I'm a woman and people who show up at my meditation center are also pretty balanced out with men and women, but there's still more women.
"One is not born a woman, but becomes one."- Simone de Beauvoir
Wizard in the Forest

Post by Wizard in the Forest »

But I'm the child of Hispanic immigrants so I'm not sure if that counts. I'm not a child of any South Asian people though. Central and South American, but uh, technically I'm Central American indigenous.
"One is not born a woman, but becomes one."- Simone de Beauvoir