What are Samprapalapa?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
SarathW

Re: What are Samprapalapa?

Post by SarathW »

Sam Vara wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:55 am I understand palāpa to mean something like "nonsense" or "pointless, idle talk", but what is the "Sampra" bit?
Sorry for the confusion.
Thanks to DD now I found some more definitions.
One is samphappalāpī, he is one who speaks at the wrong time, who speaks of what is not actual,{4} who speaks unprofitable words, who speaks of what is contrary to the Dhamma, of what is contrary to the Vinaya; he is one who speaks words which are not worth treasuring, at the wrong time, that which is nt reasonable, not moderate, or words which are related to what is not profitable.

http://www.buddha-vacana.org/sutta/angu ... phappalapa

“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Sam Vara

Post by Sam Vara »

SarathW wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:45 pm
Sam Vara wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:55 am I understand palāpa to mean something like "nonsense" or "pointless, idle talk", but what is the "Sampra" bit?
Sorry for the confusion.
Thanks to DD now I found some more definitions.
One is samphappalāpī, he is one who speaks at the wrong time, who speaks of what is not actual,{4} who speaks unprofitable words, who speaks of what is contrary to the Dhamma, of what is contrary to the Vinaya; he is one who speaks words which are not worth treasuring, at the wrong time, that which is nt reasonable, not moderate, or words which are related to what is not profitable.

No, my fault - I should have tried to work it out before asking!

It's a good question, and my guess is that the roots can vary. There appears to be delusion involved, as the talk self-defeatingly leads away from the Dhamma. Sometimes it is greed, as we are talking nonsense and idle speech in order to amuse people so they like us. We like to be the centre of attention and be popular or admired. But I like the idea that we are merely averse to the real practice; we engage in samphappalapa because we are fearful of what would arise, were we to sit still in silence. I find that quite a powerful idea.

To pick up on Chownah's point about babies, sometimes there is a correct context for it. I believe that people have shown that babies and small children really thrive better if people play silly games and chatter to them. Good mothers do it. That got me wondering how the Buddha would have dealt with small children and babies. Would the Blessed One have ignored them, or used them as "props" or similes in his talks to adults? Or would he have played with them, talked nonsense to make them smile?
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

To my knowledge, Buddha never had any contact with a person seven years old.
Sam Vara

Post by Sam Vara »

SarathW wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:49 am To my knowledge, Buddha never had any contact with a person seven years old.
Now at that time a baby boy was lying face-up on the prince's lap. So the Blessed One said to the prince, "What do you think, prince: If this young boy, through your own negligence or that of the nurse, were to take a stick or a piece of gravel into its mouth, what would you do?"
(MN 58)

Such contact is not often reported, presumably because it has little teaching value. But I guess it must have happened!
sentinel

Post by sentinel »

SarathW wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:49 am To my knowledge, Buddha never had any contact with a person seven years old.
I remember there is a story where a 7 years boy attained arahant ! Maybe someone might know the source ?
You always gain by giving
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

sentinel wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:11 am
I remember there is a story where a 7 years boy attained arahant ! Maybe someone might know the source ?
Rahula: the Buddha's son, who according to the Commentary was seven years old when this discourse was delivered to him.

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Why do people like idle chatter?
Sam Vara

Post by Sam Vara »

SarathW wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 6:31 am Why do people like idle chatter?
It depends on how it is defined, of course; saying it is idle implies that it is a rest from the real work that should be done, and that will vary according to people's ideas of the goal.

My guess is that it is attractive to us because it is like a form of verbal mutual grooming. We gain pleasure from being with others, finding out about them and the world, and feeling accepted. Perhaps there is evolutionary pressure to indulge in idle chatter, as it helps us bond and meet potential sexual partners.
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

SarathW wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 6:31 am Why do people like idle chatter?
Ignorance. 'Ignorance' is always the appropriate answer to questions of the kind "why do people like [this or that]?"
Exhaling अ and inhaling धीः amounts to བྷྲཱུཾ་བི་ཤྭ་བི་ཤུད་དྷེ It's definitely not science but science may provide guidelines nevertheless.