Where outside of Dhammawheel can one ask Orthodox Theravada questions and get Orthodox answers?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
zan

Where outside of Dhammawheel can one ask Orthodox Theravada questions and get Orthodox answers?

Post by zan »

Is there another forum? An email for a temple or Bhikkhu/Bhikkhuni or some other source?
I am just a learner. Keep that in mind when you read my words.

Just to be safe, assume all of my words could be incorrect. Look to an arahant for total accuracy and confirmation.
cappuccino

Re: Where outside of Dhammawheel can one ask Orthodox Theravada questions and get Orthodox answers?

Post by cappuccino »

life will always reflect

(we may learn from life)
"All men's souls are immortal, but the souls of the righteous are immortal and divine." -Socrates
Good for Your Soul
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Where outside of Dhammawheel can one ask Orthodox Theravada questions and get Orthodox answers?

Post by DNS »

Even many temples would not be an alternative. I remember reading one of Bhante D's posts that the eternalism found in Maha Boowa, Ajahn Mun view is ubiquitous in Thai temples.

Maybe Burmese tradition temples?
SDC

Post by SDC »

Not trying to bust chops, but you could just read more commentarial material to get a better idea about what constitutes "orthodoxy" in Theravada. If you ask people, you'll just keep getting different degrees of interpretation and opinion. Or in the very least just make sure you ask many people to make sure you get a solid consensus.

What are you trying to figure out?
"As fruits fall from the tree, so people too, both young and old, fall when this body breaks." - Raṭṭhapāla (MN 82)
Pārāpariya | Phussa | Subhā of Jīvaka’s Mango Grove | Kappa
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

DNS wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 3:05 pm the eternalism found in Maha Boowa, Ajahn Mun view is ubiquitous in Thai temples.
what you call eternalism is Buddhism

eternalism is about identity, not eternity
"All men's souls are immortal, but the souls of the righteous are immortal and divine." -Socrates
Good for Your Soul
zan

Post by zan »

SDC wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 3:08 pm Not trying to bust chops, but you could just read more commentarial material to get a better idea about what constitutes "orthodoxy" in Theravada. If you ask people, you'll just keep getting different degrees of interpretation and opinion. Or in the very least just make sure you ask many people to make sure you get a solid consensus.

Thanks. You're absolutely right and if the commentaries were available in English I'd be doing what you suggest.

I'm trying to figure out many things.
zan

Post by zan »

DNS wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 3:05 pm Even many temples would not be an alternative. I remember reading one of Bhante D's posts that the eternalism found in Maha Boowa, Ajahn Mun view is ubiquitous in Thai temples.

Maybe Burmese tradition temples?
Thanks.

Just to be safe, assume all of my words could be incorrect. Look to an arahant for total accuracy and confirmation.
zan

Post by zan »

robertk wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 5:25 pm https://groups.io/g/dsg
Thanks! Aren't there other groups? I feel like I've seen Abhidhamma/commentary groups but can't remember where.

SDC

Post by SDC »

zan wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 3:18 pm
SDC wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 3:08 pm Not trying to bust chops, but you could just read more commentarial material to get a better idea about what constitutes "orthodoxy" in Theravada. If you ask people, you'll just keep getting different degrees of interpretation and opinion. Or in the very least just make sure you ask many people to make sure you get a solid consensus.

Thanks. You're absolutely right and if the commentaries were available in English I'd be doing what you suggest.

Well perhaps you have strict definition of "commentary". This is how I see it: a commentary by definition is an explanatory note on a text. More specifically, an exegesis is a critical explanation or interpretation of a text. History has a funny way of establishing a hierarchy of legitimacy when it comes to commentary - that somehow, whatever is oldest is most accurate. With the Pali Canon itself excluded from this particular scrutiny - being the focus of the commentary - there is no reason to assume that an ancient commentary is more valuable than the assessment of a present day scholar or learned monastic, or that a present day account of an ancient commentary (commentary on a commentary) is somehow too far dissociated from the original to be trustworthy.

If the focus remains on understanding what was committed to memory in the oral tradition, and is recognized - more than anything else available - as a likely account of what the Buddha said (the canon), then it does not seem necessary to uphold the comprehension of an ancient commentary as the utmost permissive condition for access to the scriptures. I say this to you because it seems you put a lot of pressure on yourself to line up many ducks before you make a pursuit, but please never forget that such provisions are reasoned from a position of pre-comprehension, and will not serve you beyond a certain point. Clarity on the matter of reliability and trustworthiness of the content of the canon is *always and forever* the achievement of the goal itself, and not in the accuracy or value determined prior to making the effort.

In short, I don't think that a lack of availability of certain translated material is a legitimate hindrance to access and I would at least suggest you question your reasons for upholding it that way.
"As fruits fall from the tree, so people too, both young and old, fall when this body breaks." - Raṭṭhapāla (MN 82)
Pārāpariya | Phussa | Subhā of Jīvaka’s Mango Grove | Kappa
zan

Post by zan »

SDC wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 5:32 pm
zan wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 3:18 pm

Well perhaps you have strict definition of "commentary". This is how I see it: a commentary by definition is an explanatory note on a text. More specifically, an exegesis is a critical explanation or interpretation of a text. History has a funny way of establishing a hierarchy of legitimacy when it comes to commentary - that somehow, whatever is oldest is most accurate. With the Pali Canon itself excluded from this particular scrutiny - being the focus of the commentary - there is no reason to assume that an ancient commentary is more valuable than the assessment of a present day scholar or learned monastic, or that a present day account of an ancient commentary (commentary on a commentary) is somehow too far dissociated from the original to be trustworthy.

If the focus remains on understanding what was committed to memory in the oral tradition, and is recognized - more than anything else available - as a likely account of what the Buddha said (the canon), then it does not seem necessary to uphold the comprehension of an ancient commentary as the utmost permissive condition for access to the scriptures. I say this to you because it seems you put a lot of pressure on yourself to line up many ducks before you make a pursuit, but please never forget that such provisions are reasoned from a position of pre-comprehension, and will not serve you beyond a certain point. Clarity on the matter of reliability and trustworthiness of the content of the canon is *always and forever* the achievement of the goal itself, and not in the accuracy or value determined prior to making the effort.

In short, I don't think that a lack of availability of certain translated material is a legitimate hindrance to access and I would at least suggest you question your reasons for upholding it that way.
Thanks.
My definition is the orthodox Theravada commentaries; the Atthakatha. Maybe sub commentaries too; the tikas, though I'm less familiar with them.

zan

Post by zan »

DNS wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 7:57 pm robertk's forum:

http://www.abhidhamma.org/
Awesome thank you!

bazzaman

Post by bazzaman »

I don't know if this is suitable... https://old.reddit.com/r/theravada/ ; but it might lead to other links.
Atāṇo loko anabhissaro...

Yena yena hi maññanti tato taṃ hoti aññathā,
zan

Post by zan »

bazzaman wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 12:46 am I don't know if this is suitable... https://old.reddit.com/r/theravada/ ; but it might lead to other links.
Thanks!