Breakthrough discovery using jhana

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
confusedlayman

Breakthrough discovery using jhana

Post by confusedlayman »

is it possible to find cure for alzheimers disease or discover water fuel engine by directing mind to sceintifc questions and answers emerging from 4th jhana?
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
SteRo

Re: Breakthrough discovery using jhana

Post by SteRo »

:rolleye:
Cleared. αδόξαστος.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

No.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

Scientific discoveries aren't the kind of "breakthrough" the jhanas relate to. Persisting in endless questions like this will ensure the concentrated states of the jhanas stay a theoretical construct to you.
form

Post by form »

There could be some links. Many great scientists made important inventions or discoveries when they were semi conscious.
samseva

Post by samseva »

confusedlayman wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:24 pm is it possible to find cure for alzheimers disease or discover water fuel engine by directing mind to sceintifc questions and answers emerging from 4th jhana?
Such discoveries are made from everyday levels of concentration, and jhāna is a deep state of concentration (with the absence of usual mental noise/negative states of mind).

So if you have prior medical or scientific knowledge—or whatever knowledge based on the subject—deep states of concentration, such as jhāna (having emerged beforehand) are likely conducive to such discoveries.
Garrib

Post by Garrib »

samseva wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:45 am
confusedlayman wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:24 pm is it possible to find cure for alzheimers disease or discover water fuel engine by directing mind to sceintifc questions and answers emerging from 4th jhana?
Such discoveries are made from everyday levels of concentration, and jhāna is a deep state of concentration (with the absence of usual mental noise/negative states of mind).

So if you have prior medical or scientific knowledge—or whatever knowledge based on the subject—deep states of concentration, such as jhāna (having emerged beforehand) are likely conducive to such discoveries.
This sounds reasonable to me
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

Ceisiwr wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:24 pmNo.
Why
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

dharmacorps wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:35 pm Scientific discoveries aren't the kind of "breakthrough" the jhanas relate to. Persisting in endless questions like this will ensure the concentrated states of the jhanas stay a theoretical construct to you.
just asking genuinly as once i emerged from 3rd jhana to post 3rd jhana neibourhood concentration.. my conciousness was super charged like never before... i thought if i had this in normal waking state i could have done better on academics or do something good for this world...
sakyan

Post by sakyan »

Most probably a Yes. If there is a solution to any problem then it can be probably found through directing the mind to it after emerging from the 4th Jhana.
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

confusedlayman wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:33 am
just asking genuinly as once i emerged from 3rd jhana to post 3rd jhana neibourhood concentration.. my conciousness was super charged like never before... i thought if i had this in normal waking state i could have done better on academics or do something good for this world...
So you attained the 4th jhana and you determined that academics could do more good for the world? My guess is you are overestimating yourself and your jhanic attainments, are confused, or both. The jhanas are borne of seclusion and renunciation--not engagement with the world. Your vast number of questions and posts on here don't seem commensurate with the conditions for jhana. Not trying to be discouraging, but I would, again, encourage you to get a in-person teacher to help you direct your large amount of energy. :anjali:
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

confusedlayman wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:33 am just asking genuinly as once i emerged from 3rd jhana to post 3rd jhana neibourhood concentration.. my conciousness was super charged like never before... i thought if i had this in normal waking state i could have done better on academics or do something good for this world...
It's not easy to tame monkey mind. Usually jhanas do the job. But if jhanas don't do this job it's likely that they are fake jhanas.
Cleared. αδόξαστος.
form

Post by form »

Anyone tried this, reading sutta before meditation, then meditate, after meditation insights came to them?
justindesilva

Post by justindesilva »

Jhana is to clear the mind fro klesha. Once the mind is cleared then we can advance that state to vipassana to find answers to abhidamma. These answers to abhidamma with Rupa with Apo,tejo, vayo, patavi, akasa could have a break through with knowledge of science as biology, physics and chemistry. And also our link with the earth and our human physiology. Apo,tejo
Vayo patavi akasa have been described as cohesion, heat or temperature, air, and inertia with space as akasa.
Yet I have no idea if consciousness and awareness which is vingnana can be described with science and if possible with what branch of science.
Neurology can of course describe how Nama darma acts with beings.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

dharmacorps wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:02 pm
confusedlayman wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:33 am
So you attained the 4th jhana and you determined that academics could do more good for the world? My guess is you are overestimating yourself and your jhanic attainments, are confused, or both. The jhanas are borne of seclusion and renunciation--not engagement with the world. Your vast number of questions and posts on here don't seem commensurate with the conditions for jhana. Not trying to be discouraging, but I would, again, encourage you to get a in-person teacher to help you direct your large amount of energy. :anjali:
I never entered 4th jhnana... u have intepreted wrongly.. i never had equnimity in jhana.