Revenge

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
binocular

Revenge

Post by binocular »

Greetings.

Revenge is intentional mental, verbal, and bodily action. As such, it is vipaka. Possibly over more lifetimes.

How is revenge accounted for in the Canon and the Commentaries?

Thanks.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
SarathW

Re: Revenge

Post by SarathW »

There a Buddhist story about someone eating an egg from a nest.
Revenge continued for many years each other eating their siblings until they met Buddha.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

When the Buddha insulted Devadatta, the later sought revenge. There is also the story of Aṅgulimāla whom the results of his past actions ripened after he attained release. In the following Dhammapada verse, retaliation is presented as a "possibility" for harsh speech:
Speak not harshly to anyone, for those thus spoken to might retort. Indeed, angry speech hurts, and retaliation may overtake you.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

I would add that the Buddha's teachings on Kamma and Vipaka can be understood through his teachings on DO, not determinism nor free will. The teachings on DO is akin to self knowledge, which is rooted in ignorance and does not lead to release. It helps us see how certain conclusions are dependent on underlying metaphysical assumptions that leads to ignorant action such as revenge.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.
robertk

Post by robertk »

binocular wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:52 am Greetings.

Revenge is intentional mental, verbal, and bodily action. As such, it is vipaka. Possibly over more lifetimes.

How is revenge accounted for in the Canon and the Commentaries?

Thanks.
I think revenge - as emotion and intention- would not be classified as vipaka . It is the jati of akusala kamma.
binocular

Post by binocular »

robertk wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:09 pmI think revenge - as emotion and intention- would not be classified as vipaka . It is the jati of akusala kamma.
Action taken with the intention of revenge surely has kammic fruits?

For example, if a person finds themselves raped, this could be the act of revenge by someone they had raped before (or in a previous lifetime).
While it needn't be the case that victim and perpetrator "trade places" in a kammic sense, this can nevertheless be the case when revenge is involved.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!