Re-Birth

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
SteRo

Re: Re-Birth

Post by SteRo »

SteRo wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:32 pm
frankboase244 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:10 pm Yes, I know we've all be here before (pun intended).
But my questions are;
What is Reborn?
Has anybody considered the role of genetics in Rebirth?
Approach not appropriate. The question should be: What might be the effect of the idea of "rebirth"? And the answer could be: Attenuation of clinging to (this) life.
A buddha can't tell the ignorant that in actuality they are not existing and have never been born. Therefore a buddha tells the ignorant about re-births. That's it.
Exhaling अ and inhaling धीः amounts to བྷྲཱུཾ་བི་ཤྭ་བི་ཤུད་དྷེ It's definitely not science but science may provide guidelines nevertheless.
Mahabrahma

Post by Mahabrahma »

Ceisiwr wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:12 pm What is this “you”?
You could say the entire purpose of Buddhism is to figure that out. My simple answer would be Love.
dhammacoustic

Post by dhammacoustic »

frankboase244 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:10 pm Yes, I know we've all be here before (pun intended).
But my questions are;
What is Reborn?
you are.
Has anybody considered the role of genetics in Rebirth?
physical factors all have their roles. they are not the root cause for one's birth , because if they were, liberation would be impossible...
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Mahabrahma wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:01 pm
Ceisiwr wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:12 pm What is this “you”?
You could say the entire purpose of Buddhism is to figure that out. My simple answer would be Love.
Love is non-self.

The Buddha taught that any idea of a self is simply a case of ignorantly clinging to one or more of the aggregates.
At Savatthi. “Bhikkhus, those ascetics and brahmins who regard anything as self in various ways all regard as self the five aggregates subject to clinging, or a certain one among them. What five?

“Here, bhikkhus, the uninstructed worldling, who is not a seer of the noble ones and is unskilled and undisciplined in their Dhamma, who is not a seer of superior persons and is unskilled and undisciplined in their Dhamma, regards form as self, or self as possessing form, or form as in self, or self as in form. He regards feeling as self … perception as self … volitional formations as self … consciousness as self, or self as possessing consciousness, or consciousness as in self, or self as in consciousness.
https://suttacentral.net/sn22.47/en/bodhi
"Monks, where a self or what belongs to self are not pinned down as a truth or reality..."
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
"I have stopped, Aṅgulimāla … I have stopped for ever"

Aṅgulimāla Sutta
Mahabrahma

Post by Mahabrahma »

Love can be selfish, selfless, or rooted in the non-self meditation, but I assure you all the Love in your life you have felt was real and not false, even before you began to Awaken your Buddhist consciousness. Everyone around you Loves, even that lady on the street walking her dog who considers herself a non-Buddhist, because regardless, all Love is Buddhist, even if their Love is completely fallen and tattered. Perfect Love is Buddha, so you are on the right track :smile: .