No. of wives allowed during Buddha's time?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
form

No. of wives allowed during Buddha's time?

Post by form »

I am asking this with regards to the precept concerning adultery.
whynotme

Re: No. of wives allowed during Buddha's time?

Post by whynotme »

Kings had many wives during Buddha's time. It seems adultery doesn't relate with number of wives, if people accept them.

It seems the precepts are about making other suffering. So if society accepts multi wives as normal, it will not make they hurt. OTOH, cheating with other's wives make ppl hurt, so it is in the precept.

IMO, marriage is a social contract, the problem is what people write in the contract. If the contract is one wife based on social condition / laws, then multiple wives will break the contract and make other suffering. But if the conditions in the society accept multiple wives, or the laws don't forbit it, then it does not break the precept.
Please stop following me
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

The Buddhist ideal appears to be monogamy since most suttas refer to one wife (e.g. AN 4.55; DN 31; etc) however SN 55.7 refers to wives (dāresu; plural).
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
form

Post by form »

DooDoot wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:46 am The Buddhist ideal appears to be monogamy since most suttas refer to one wife (e.g. AN 4.55; DN 31; etc) however SN 55.7 refers to wives (dāresu; plural).
What about kings and higher caste people?
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

form wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:29 am I am asking this with regards to the precept concerning adultery.
Regardless of how many wives might have been allowed to be "married" what has this question to do with adultery?
Exhaling अ and inhaling धीः amounts to བྷྲཱུཾ་བི་ཤྭ་བི་ཤུད་དྷེ
form

Post by form »

SteRo wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:07 am
form wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:29 am I am asking this with regards to the precept concerning adultery.
Regardless of how many wives might have been allowed to be "married" what has this question to do with adultery?
If more than one wife is allowed, then it is technically possible for a married man to have sex with more than one woman without breaking the precept.
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

form wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:16 am
If more than one wife is allowed, then it is technically possible for a married man to have sex with more than one woman without breaking the precept.
So why you've opened that thread at all?
robertk

Post by robertk »

SteRo wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:21 am

mod warning: please do not add meta comments to threads.

For further guidance please read terms of service.
e. Disruptive meta-discussion (i.e. discussion about discussion, including in-topic complaints about the existence of discussions that don't suit your preferences
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

robertk wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:37 am
SteRo wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:21 am

mod warning: please do not add meta comments to threads.
No meta comment intended. But taking into account the awareness of the OP that "If more than one wife is allowed, then it is technically possible for a married man to have sex with more than one woman without breaking the precept." then my question is justified and it appears as if the OP's question does not reflect what the OP actually is concerned about.

So the implicit questions seem to be:
1. Was polygamy allowed per worldly regulations in Buddha's time?
Only if this question can be answered in the affirmative does this thread make sense in the context of the precepts but then the actually relevant question is:
2. Did the Buddha allow polygamy, too?
justindesilva

Post by justindesilva »

Parabhava sutta and Sigalovada Sutta are two unique suttas to advice the lay societies to follow correct buddhist principles. Both these advise how to carry on with lay family life while indicating not to go out with additional women, while it is misconduct. To my knowledge Lord birds never regularised laws for social Life of the lay society.
Pulsar

Post by Pulsar »

OP asked regarding number of wives allowed during Buddha's time...
I am asking this with regards to the precept concerning adultery.
It is a loaded question, I feel only the supreme court can tackle this issue, since it involves many moral issues (since someone said it should not hurt another) and many legal issues.
whynotme wrote
It seems the precepts are about making other suffering
If so, with many wives, other wives will suffer when the king chooses one out of the lot, for a given occasion. Or won't they?

Wives allowed at Buddha's time? We are not aware of the rules that prevailed at Buddha's time.
We are not aware of who was allowed the privilege of large numbers of wives? Was it based on the wealth and power? A poor guy could not afford this luxury in any case. Besides this rule is rather odd?
Were wealthy women allowed many husbands? Present day courts will toss it out.
Were the rules the same for all kingdoms? or did these change from kingdom to kingdom? Or did kings change the rules, as one dethroned another?
Buddha himself was only into the ending of suffering via the teaching.
It seems he had cordial relations with kings who had many wives.

As for the following: excerpt from sutta cited. SN 55.7
Furthermore, a noble disciple reflects: ‘If someone were to have sexual relations with my wives, I wouldn’t like it. But if I were to have sexual relations with someone else’s wives, he wouldn’t like that either. The thing that is disliked by me is also disliked by others. Since I dislike this thing, how can I inflict it on others?’ Reflecting in this way, they give up sexual misconduct themselves. And they encourage others to give up sexual misconduct, praising the giving up of sexual misconduct. So their bodily behavior is purified in three points.
This raises many questions too. Is the noble disciple Sotapanna or Arahant? If it is an Arahant then, issues mentioned do not arise. If it is a Sotapanna, would he care? would he be into many wives? or care to have sex with other's wife?
It is an interesting speculation. Or were these words linking 'Noble' and 'many wives' plainly an error? If so it is not the first time Buddha was misreported in the Pali canon.
This is one of those questions that leads to a ton of mental proliferation, which Buddha was not
fond of, and advised us against.
Nevertheless for the unenlightened among us, it provides
entertainment.
Wth love :candle:
Mahabrahma

Post by Mahabrahma »

Buddha lived in a time where the Vedic religion was highly practiced and during that time there were many rules and lawbooks about having many wives. In modern day society has deteriorated morally as Kali-Yuga has progressed and outside of strict Spiritual Life it is very difficult to have multiple wives.
Pulsar

Post by Pulsar »

Mahabrahma wrote
outside of strict Spiritual Life it is very difficult to have multiple wives.
O I see ... a spiritual person can have many wives?????? How do you come up with this stuff? Is it in the Lotus sutra?
With love :candle:
Mahabrahma

Post by Mahabrahma »

Pulsar wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:46 pm Mahabrahma wrote
outside of strict Spiritual Life it is very difficult to have multiple wives.
O I see ... a spiritual person can have many wives?????? How do you come up with this stuff? Is it in the Lotus sutra?
With love :candle:
:heart: I'd rather it not be a topic of interest. :heart: