Help!

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
tellyontellyon

Help!

Post by tellyontellyon »

Hi.
I'm wondering... for Buddhists and Theravada Buddhism I'm particular, are there any beings, deities, spirits to pray to or invoke if you are in some sort of trouble?
I've heard 'paritta'? chanting can help with some things... What is that? How does it help? Thank you :)
“To dare is to lose one's footing momentarily. Not to dare is to lose oneself.”
― Søren Kierkegaard
Aloka

Re: Help!

Post by Aloka »

Chanting Ratana Sutta (The Jewel Discourse) is said to be helpful.

SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Metta Sutta:

These dispossessed deities discussed the situation among themselves and decided to frighten the monks away by showing them terrifying objects, by making dreadful noises and by creating a sickening stench. Accordingly, they materialized all these terrifying conditions and afflicted the monks. The monks soon grew pale and could no longer concentrate on their subjects of meditation. As the deities continued to harass them, they lost even their basic mindfulness, and their brains seemed to become smothered by the oppressing visions, noise and stench. When the monks assembled to wait upon the seniormost Elder of the group, each one recounted his experiences. The Elder suggested: "Let us go, brethren, to the Blessed One and place our problem before him. There are two kinds of rains' retreat — the early and the late. Though we will be breaking the early one by leaving this place, we can always take upon ourselves the late one after meeting the Lord." The monks agreed and they set out at once, it is said, without even informing the devotees.

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/aut ... 5.html#ch2
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
coconut

Post by coconut »

tellyontellyon wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:23 am Hi.
I'm wondering... for Buddhists and Theravada Buddhism I'm particular, are there any beings, deities, spirits to pray to or invoke if you are in some sort of trouble?
I've heard 'paritta'? chanting can help with some things... What is that? How does it help? Thank you :)
Higher beings don't interfere with lower beings, for the same reason the queen of england doesn't interfere with those underneath her. You can pray to the queen of england, but she will not visit you. To enter her awareness, you have to enter her plane of existence, such as being a part of the monarchy, a world leader, part of the government, etc.. Do you think a poor person in a Brazil favela will ever enter into the Queen's awareness no matter how much he prays and cries? No. The chance of that happening is 0.000001%

Higher beings are even higher than the queen of england, they pervade entire galaxies, so they're even less likely to hear you, so the chance of that is 0.000000001%, since they have to deal with a higher noise to signal ratio, you are basically a needle in a haystack to them, or like bacteria to us, too many to focus on.

The only reason devas went to the Buddha is because the Buddha transcended them already, he attained a higher plane than all of them by mastering jhanas.

The Buddha first met the devas when he attained fourth jhana and was mastering the nimittas of fourth jhana.

Aside from that, higher beings find humans disgusting.

“Well then, chieftain, I shall give you a simile. For by means of a simile some sensible people understand the meaning of what is said. Suppose there were a man sunk over his head in a sewer. Then you were to order someone to pull him out of the sewer, and they’d agree to do so. Then you’d tell them to carefully scrape the dung off that man’s body with bamboo scrapers, and they’d agree to do so. Then you’d tell them to carefully scrub that man’s body down with pale clay three times, and they’d do so. Then you’d tell them to smear that man’s body with oil, and carefully wash him down with fine paste three times, and they’d do so. Then you’d tell them to dress that man’s hair and beard, and they’d do so. Then you’d tell them to provide that man with costly garlands, makeup, and clothes, and they’d do so. Then you’d tell them to bring that man up to the stilt longhouse and set him up with the five kinds of sensual stimulation, and they’d do so.

What do you think, chieftain? Now that man is nicely bathed and anointed, with hair and beard dressed, bedecked with garlands and bracelets, dressed in white, supplied and provided with the five kinds of sensual stimulation upstairs in the stilt longhouse. Would he want to dive back into that sewer again?”

“No, Master Kassapa. Why is that? Because that sewer is filthy, stinking, disgusting, and repulsive, and it’s regarded as such.”

“In the same way, chieftain, to the gods, human beings are filthy, stinking, disgusting, and repulsive, and are regarded as such. The smell of humans reaches the gods even a hundred leagues away. What then of your friends and colleagues, relatives and kin who are reborn in a higher realm after doing good things? Will they come back to tell you that there is an afterlife? By this method, too, it ought to be proven that there is an afterlife.”
- DN 23

And also time moves much faster for them, so you are like bacteria to them, you are born and die really fast, they won't even bother listening to you.
“Well then, chieftain, I’ll ask you about this in return, and you can answer as you like. A hundred human years are equivalent to one day and night for the gods of the Thirty-Three. Thirty such days make a month, and twelve months make a year. The gods of the Thirty Three have a lifespan of a thousand such years. Now, as to your friends who are reborn in the company of the gods of the Thirty-Three after doing good things. If they think, ‘First I’ll amuse myself for two or three days, supplied and provided with the five kinds of heavenly sensual stimulation. Then I’ll go back to Pāyāsi and tell him that there is an afterlife.’ Would they come back to tell you that there is an afterlife?”

“No, Master Kassapa. For I would be long dead by then. But Master Kassapa, who has told you that the gods of the Thirty-Three exist, or that they have such a long life span? I don’t believe you.”
Mahabrahma

Post by Mahabrahma »

The more powerful have always helped the weaker and in need, because the only power is Love, Metta, Mahakaruna, Kindness, Empathy, Mercy, and the Sharing of Joy. And there is no one more powerful than a Buddha.
That sage who has perfect insight,
at the summit of spiritual perfection:
that’s who I call a brahmin.

-Dhammapada.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

Mahabrahma wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:10 pm there is no one more powerful than a Buddha.
can't pray to Buddha……

as I said, he is gone
Coaching
I specialize in Theravada Buddhism.
Mahabrahma

Post by Mahabrahma »

cappuccino wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:29 pm
Mahabrahma wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:10 pm there is no one more powerful than a Buddha.
can't pray to Buddha……

as I said, he is gone
If one doesn't think the Buddha is accessible, they should find Him within. With remembrance, Metta, meditation, the following of the Dhamma, and the Path to Enlightenment.
Last edited by Mahabrahma on Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
That sage who has perfect insight,
at the summit of spiritual perfection:
that’s who I call a brahmin.

-Dhammapada.
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

In short, no. Innumerable places in the Canon, the Buddha explained the job is ours to do ourselves. This confuses some, because the Buddha acknowledged the existence of heavenly and hell beings, but nowhere did he encourage praying to them. They can't do anything for you. That is the Theravada understanding.

Paritta chantings are blessings, good wishes encouraging a good mind state and remembrance of the Buddha and the arahants.
Kusala

Post by Kusala »

Sacca-kiriya has nothing to do with spirits or deities, but it's really powerful...

"Sacca-kiriya is a solemn declaration of truth, expressed in ritual speech...The sacca-kiriya presumes a moral force of truth that is operating in the world, and is stronger than gods or humans. Although sacca-kiriyā often refer to characteristics of the Buddha, the Buddhist teaching, and the monastic community, it can also refer to facts with regard to natural phenomena...

Some scholars believe that the effectiveness of a sacca-kiriyā as portrayed in stories depends on virtue and good character, whereas other scholars understand the sacca-kiriyā to be merely about speaking according to facts..."

"Indologist William Norman Brown argued that the sacca-kiriyā is based on "truth of life, personal integrity, truth in one's personal conduct in its totality, truth in acceptance of responsibilities and fulfillment of them".[67][68] Through this personal integrity, the speaker of the sacca-kiriyā "can bend the cosmic forces to his will".[69] Brown believed that this interpretation of the sacca-kiriya dates back as early as the Rig Veda (1700–1100 BCE). For this argument, Brown referred to an ancient Vedic belief that human beings could derive a power out of truth by fulfilling their duties (Sanskrit: vrata) according to the cosmic order (Sanskrit: ṛta).

Brown, as well as Indologist Heinrich Zimmer, described the sacca-kiriyā as such perfect and moral fulfillment of duty, referring to examples in Buddhist scripture and the Hindu Bhagavadgītā.[70][71] This fulfillment implies a high commitment to a virtue or vow and a sense of sacrifice to that end. Zimmer further argued that living one's life in a virtuous way like this, is in itself a sacca-kiriyā.[72]..."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacca-kiriya

Listen to this monk invoke the Sacca-Kiriya...the video is 7:35 ...

"He, the Blessed One, is indeed the Noble Lord, the Perfectly Enlightened One;
He is impeccable in conduct and understanding, the Serene One, the Knower of the Worlds;
He trains perfectly those who wish to be trained; he is Teacher of gods and men; he is Awake and Holy. "

--------------------------------------------
"The Dhamma is well-expounded by the Blessed One,
Apparent here and now, timeless, encouraging investigation,
Leading to liberation, to be experienced individually by the wise. "