The Buddha has very high IQ

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
form

The Buddha has very high IQ

Post by form »

Evident from the way he deducted many things and the facts he used to debate in the sutta. It is surprising that IQ was not emphasized in the success for quest of enlightenment.
SarathW

Re: The Buddha has very high IQ

Post by SarathW »

Perhaps Buddha would have failed the IQ test altogether.

“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
justindesilva

Post by justindesilva »

SarathW wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:26 am Perhaps Buddha would have failed the IQ test altogether.

Iq is a measure of sankappa. But Lord budda with samma sankappa ( and lokuttara gnana) was beyond and above the world we live in.
It also reflects vicikicca of the prutagjana.
Mahabrahma

Post by Mahabrahma »

Buddha's IQ is absolute and infinite. Such is the way of Enlightenment.
That sage who has perfect insight,
at the summit of spiritual perfection:
that’s who I call a brahmin.

-Dhammapada.
Crazy cloud

Post by Crazy cloud »

My guess is that Gotama had basically the same IQ as we, but that the Buddha made use of and mastered intuitive intelligence by letting go of Gotama's knowledge and wisdom.
If you didn't care
What happened to me
And I didn't care for you

We would zig-zag our way
Through the boredom and pain
Occasionally glancing up through the rain

Wondering which of the
Buggers to blame
And watching for pigs on the wing
- Roger Waters
Mahabrahma

Post by Mahabrahma »

Real IQ is real IQ. IQ can be a Spiritual thing, modern IQ tests aren't quite what do justice to what a person's intelligence is based off of, which can only be based off of one thing that is and can make them intelligent, and that is their compassion and Love for other beings. With Love, you can unlock the secrets of the Universe and beyond, and that is real IQ.

IQ stands for "Intelligence Quotient".

-Dhammapada.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

those who make use of malleble conciousness after emerging from jhana will have iq unparalleled to anyone who dont have jhana

which means the ability to do things or acquire knowledge in post jhana access concentration is unimaginable
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
sakyan

Post by sakyan »

form wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:02 am Evident from the way he deducted many things and the facts he used to debate in the sutta. It is surprising that IQ was not emphasized in the success for quest of enlightenment.
IQ would not be a proper term but wisdom faculty is necessary for enlightenment as per suttas.

The Tathagatha however was indeed very wise. His wisdom reflects even in the Jatakas when he was born as an animal or a bird. He alone was able to prevent wars, defeat armies and was able to become a king from an ordinary person in many of his Jatakas. It's normal for Bodhisattas to possess outstanding wisdom considering the fact that they usually have a huge store of merits.

All ariyas do possess the wisdom faculty as a requisite for attaining magga-phala. This wisdom faculty is however not the normal wisdom instead it's the wisdom of the Noble ones. It is a very necessary faculty and power required for enlightenment.
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

Ancient India provided different paths to spiritual knowledge, which can be summarized as practices focusing on devotion, and practices that are more intellectual in nature such as in philosophy. In Buddhist context, this often presented itself as the path of insight and the path of concentration with endless debates about whether they are separate paths leading to the same goal, or being two sides of the same coin.

The path of insight seems to rely on a degree of intellectual prowess. For example, certain monks who had problems with concentration practices would emphasize the necessity of intelligence, such as Ven. Nanavira Thera. We have also the story of the Panthaka Brothers, of which the Buddha provided certain practices focusing on concentration to those with limited intellectual ability and resulting in psychic powers.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

Mahabrahma wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:01 am Buddha's IQ is absolute and infinite. Such is the way of Enlightenment.
misleading, fanciful idea

:coffee:
Coaching
I specialize in Theravada Buddhism.
santa100

Post by santa100 »

form wrote:Evident from the way he deducted many things and the facts he used to debate in the sutta. It is surprising that IQ was not emphasized in the success for quest of enlightenment.
While IQ is a nice useful feature that could help one to succeed in worldly life, it's not an important factor to help one attaining enlightenment. See the case of Ven. Culapanthaka, who was so dumb that he couldn't even memorize one verse, and still able to attain arahantship. And actually even for worldly success, IQ alone is not gonna cut it. It'd need to be accompanied by EQ(Emotional intelligence)
Mahabrahma

Post by Mahabrahma »

santa100 wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:24 pm
form wrote:Evident from the way he deducted many things and the facts he used to debate in the sutta. It is surprising that IQ was not emphasized in the success for quest of enlightenment.
While IQ is a nice useful feature that could help one to succeed in worldly life, it's not an important factor to help one attaining enlightenment. See the case of Ven. Culapanthaka, who was so dumb that he couldn't even memorize one verse, and still able to attain arahantship. And actually even for worldly success, IQ alone is not gonna cut it. It'd need to be accompanied by EQ(Emotional intelligence)
Real intelligence lies in Love, if you never forget that you will stop judging people by worldly standards.

-Dhammapada.
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

cappuccino wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:42 pm
Mahabrahma wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:01 am Buddha's IQ is absolute and infinite. Such is the way of Enlightenment.
misleading, fanciful idea

:coffee:
Agreed. The idea that the modern concept of academic testing based "intelligence quotient" has anything to do with the Buddha's enlightenment is the height of western based "Buddhist" conceit. Next we are going to be discussing which Meyers-Briggs type he was.
Mahabrahma

Post by Mahabrahma »

We're not talking of a modern IQ test here. If Buddha were asked to take it He may just walk by it and provisionally score a 0. But the reality of what He is capable of doing with His infinite Buddhist Sagacity, lying in Buddhahood and His Enlightenment is boundless and has no limit. That is why I say Buddha has an infinite IQ, which is based in His Metta. Even an Enlightened mouse full of Mahakaruna for all beings would have an infinite actual IQ in the system I am describing. I am not talking about modern IQ tests, but about real IQ, real intelligence: Love.

-Dhammapada.
form

Post by form »

Mahabrahma wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:36 pm We're not talking of a modern IQ test here. If Buddha were asked to take it He may just walk by it and provisionally score a 0. But the reality of what He is capable of doing with His infinite Buddhist Sagacity, lying in Buddhahood and His Enlightenment is boundless and has no limit. That is why I say Buddha has an infinite IQ, which is based in His Metta. Even an Enlightened mouse full of Mahakaruna for all beings would have an infinite actual IQ in the system I am describing. I am not talking about modern IQ tests, but about real IQ, real intelligence: Love.

He will score high for sure as he was highly educated before he went off wandering looking for enlightenment, even after enlightenment he knew what not to say to a King as he could be killed should he said something unpleasant to the King. Only after the king left he revealed that the king will end up in hell to his disciples.