How often is a Samma Sambuddha born?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Post Reply
User avatar
oatsandmilk
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:07 pm

How often is a Samma Sambuddha born?

Post by oatsandmilk »

MN 81 mentions Kassapa Buddha visiting Varanasi.

Even fundamentalist Hindus do not claim it existed before 2000 BCE. Most likely no more than 1000 BCE from archaeological evidence.

That makes the birth of Gautama Buddha only about 400 years after Kassapa Buddha. Is this a correct assumption?

If yes, are Buddhas born every few centuries and might it be that they were born in such a location (say, Caucasian region in 500 CE) that the teachings did not survive for more than a century?
Not long after Jotipāla’s ordination, a fortnight later, the Buddha Kassapa—having stayed in Vebhaliṅga as long as he wished—set out for Benares. Traveling stage by stage, he arrived at Benares, where he stayed near Benares, in the deer park at Isipatana.
https://suttacentral.net/mn81/en/sujato
I know it is idle speculation that does not help practice .. but the mere thought that it may have happened is exhilarating.

:anjali:
santa100
Posts: 4494
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:55 pm

Re: How often is a Samma Sambuddha born?

Post by santa100 »

oatsandmilk wrote:If yes, are Buddhas born every few centuries and might it be that they were born in such a location (say, Caucasian region in 500 CE) that the teachings did not survive for more than a century?

I know it is idle speculation that does not help practice ..
And the reason we shouldn't speculate is because the periods between the arising of Buddhas aren't evenly spaced apart. For example, between Gautama Buddha and the future Buddha Metteyya, it'll take a very long long time, according to DN 26.
2600htz
Posts: 600
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:37 pm

Re: How often is a Samma Sambuddha born?

Post by 2600htz »

Hi:

No that is incorrect.
The life span of humans at the time of Kassapa Buddha was 20.000 years, so he lived before this "generation of humans".
There are some estimates, but probably billions of years ago.

The Buddha in that sutta smiles because at the same spot Kassapa used to live, by that he meant the same location. Maybe and just maybe the earth after each cycle always forms the same kind of continents.

Regards.
User avatar
oatsandmilk
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:07 pm

Re: How often is a Samma Sambuddha born?

Post by oatsandmilk »

2600htz wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:15 pm Hi:

No that is incorrect.
The life span of humans at the time of Kassapa Buddha was 20.000 years, so he lived before this "generation of humans".
There are some estimates, but probably billions of years ago.

The Buddha in that sutta smiles because at the same spot Kassapa used to live, by that he meant the same location. Maybe and just maybe the earth after each cycle always forms the same kind of continents.

Regards.
The point I was trying to make was that Kassapa Buddha traveled to Varanasi, a city that was at most 500 years old at the time of Gautama Buddha. Or, did you mean this Varanasi was "billions of years ago"?

:anjali:
Last edited by oatsandmilk on Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta
Posts: 1440
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:06 pm

Re: How often is a Samma Sambuddha born?

Post by Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta »

oatsandmilk wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:07 pm MN 81 mentions Kassapa Buddha visiting Varanasi.

Even fundamentalist Hindus do not claim it existed before 2000 BCE. Most likely no more than 1000 BCE from archaeological evidence.

That makes the birth of Gautama Buddha only about 400 years after Kassapa Buddha. Is this a correct assumption?

If yes, are Buddhas born every few centuries and might it be that they were born in such a location (say, Caucasian region in 500 CE) that the teachings did not survive for more than a century?
Not long after Jotipāla’s ordination, a fortnight later, the Buddha Kassapa—having stayed in Vebhaliṅga as long as he wished—set out for Benares. Traveling stage by stage, he arrived at Benares, where he stayed near Benares, in the deer park at Isipatana.
https://suttacentral.net/mn81/en/sujato
I know it is idle speculation that does not help practice .. but the mere thought that it may have happened is exhilarating.

:anjali:


Whenever a person abides by the teachings of Sakyamunī Buddha, a Sammasambuddha is born, in his heart.


:heart:
.


🅢🅐🅑🅑🅔 🅓🅗🅐🅜🅜🅐 🅐🅝🅐🅣🅣🅐

Self ...
  • "an entirely and perfectly foolish idea" :D ~ MN22
coconut
Posts: 1061
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:10 am

Re: How often is a Samma Sambuddha born?

Post by coconut »

Samma Sambuddha's are exceptionally very rare. 90% of Buddhas are pacceka buddhas. So odds are you won't have a chance of being human/deva in the same time as the next Samma Sambuddha's dispensation as 1) If you're a puthujanna you probably won't be a human nor deva and 2) if you're an Ariya, you'll probably attain Arahantship before the next Samma Sambuddha arises.

This is basically your only time in a dispensation of a Samma Sambuddha, unless you have incredibly good karma like Gotama did.

Also, keep in mind Gotama was going to be a Pacceka Buddha, it's only because of Brahma Sahampati that he decided to teach the dhamma.
Then Brahma Sahampati, having known with his own awareness the line of thinking in the Blessed One's awareness, thought: "The world is lost! The world is destroyed! The mind of the Tathagata, the Arahant, the Rightly Self-awakened One inclines to dwelling at ease, not to teaching the Dhamma!" Then, just as a strong man might extend his flexed arm or flex his extended arm, Brahma Sahampati disappeared from the Brahma-world and reappeared in front of the Blessed One. Arranging his upper robe over one shoulder, he knelt down with his right knee on the ground, saluted the Blessed One with his hands before his heart, and said to him: "Lord, let the Blessed One teach the Dhamma! Let the One-Well-Gone teach the Dhamma! There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma."
User avatar
confusedlayman
Posts: 4260
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:16 am
Location: Human Realm (as of now)

Re: How often is a Samma Sambuddha born?

Post by confusedlayman »

oatsandmilk wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:41 pm
2600htz wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:15 pm Hi:

No that is incorrect.
The life span of humans at the time of Kassapa Buddha was 20.000 years, so he lived before this "generation of humans".
There are some estimates, but probably billions of years ago.

The Buddha in that sutta smiles because at the same spot Kassapa used to live, by that he meant the same location. Maybe and just maybe the earth after each cycle always forms the same kind of continents.

Regards.
The point I was trying to make was that Kassapa Buddha traveled to Varanasi, a city that was at most 500 years old at the time of Gautama Buddha. Or, did you mean this Varanasi was "billions of years ago"?

:anjali:
kasappa buddha walked in same place 5 billion years ago maybe? and same place now is called Varanasi.. during his time it might be called different name...
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
2600htz
Posts: 600
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:37 pm

Re: How often is a Samma Sambuddha born?

Post by 2600htz »

oatsandmilk wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:41 pm
2600htz wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:15 pm Hi:

No that is incorrect.
The life span of humans at the time of Kassapa Buddha was 20.000 years, so he lived before this "generation of humans".
There are some estimates, but probably billions of years ago.

The Buddha in that sutta smiles because at the same spot Kassapa used to live, by that he meant the same location. Maybe and just maybe the earth after each cycle always forms the same kind of continents.

Regards.
The point I was trying to make was that Kassapa Buddha traveled to Varanasi, a city that was at most 500 years old at the time of Gautama Buddha. Or, did you mean this Varanasi was "billions of years ago"?

:anjali:

Hi Oatsandmilk:

I get your point, and you are right that it is wierd that the sutta mentions Kassapa Buddha traveled to Varanasi, since it is a city with probably only a couple of thousand years. Usually in the suttas they say something like "this city at that time was known as xxxx". But in this case maybe "Varanasi" means something like "city near the river" (im just making an example), so Varanasi was a good name in both periods, or a name that can be used to describe that portion of land, even if that was not the actual name at the time.

I am only certain that Kassapa Buddha didnt live just 3000 years ago, since that does not agree with several important data of the suttas.

Regards.
User avatar
salayatananirodha
Posts: 965
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:34 am
Contact:

Re: How often is a Samma Sambuddha born?

Post by salayatananirodha »

digha nikaya 14 details the seven buddhas
this aeon is auspicious and has/will have five sammāsambuddhas but, before, several aeons passed between sammāsambuddhas
it's considered quite rare
16. 'In what has the world originated?' — so said the Yakkha Hemavata, — 'with what is the world intimate? by what is the world afflicted, after having grasped at what?' (167)

17. 'In six the world has originated, O Hemavata,' — so said Bhagavat, — 'with six it is intimate, by six the world is afflicted, after having grasped at six.' (168)

- Hemavatasutta


links:
https://www.facebook.com/noblebuddhadhamma/
https://seeingthroughthenet.net/books/
http://buddhadust.net/backmatter/indexe ... ta_toc.htm
https://www.ancient-buddhist-texts.net/index.htm
Post Reply