how can i live for an aeon or the remainder of an aeon?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
salayatananirodha

how can i live for an aeon or the remainder of an aeon?

Post by salayatananirodha »

I host a sutta discussion via Zoom Sundays at 11AM Chicago time — message me if you are interested
Mr. Seek

Re: how can i live for an aeon or the remainder of an aeon?

Post by Mr. Seek »

I think they're referring to the four bases of power in that text? Iddhipada.

As to how, I have no idea. Isn't the goal of Buddhism to delve into that...
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

salayatananirodha wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:39 pm with psychic power? (from https://archive.org/details/DialoguesOfTheBuddha-Part3/)Screen Shot 2020-11-27 at 10.38.54 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-11-27 at 10.39.26 AM.png
he should will let this aggregates continuation go on and his life energy will be boosted for that range for eon or something.. his life energy won't deplete ..im not sure im just speculating.
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
robertk

Post by robertk »

An ayukappa, the range of human life at that time.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

robertk wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:17 pm An ayukappa, the range of human life at that time.
during buddha time? 100 years or 100 billion years?
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

salayatananirodha wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:39 pm with psychic power?
was possible for Buddha

he was indifferent… the rest is history
robertk

Post by robertk »

confusedlayman wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:10 pm
robertk wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:17 pm An ayukappa, the range of human life at that time.
during buddha time? 100 years or 100 billion years?
A little longer than a 100 years
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

Sutta wrote:Now at that time, monks, the human life span was 60,000 years, with girls marriageable at 500. And at that time there were six afflictions: cold, heat, hunger, thirst, defecation, & urination.

Yet even though people were so long-lived, long-lasting, with so few afflictions, that teacher Araka taught the Dhamma to his disciples in this way: 'Next to nothing, brahmans, is the life of human beings — limited, trifling, of much stress & many despairs.

One should touch this like a sage, do what is skillful, follow the holy life. For one who is born there is no freedom from death.
Araka's Teaching
tamdrin

Post by tamdrin »

psychic powers are impermanent.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

tamdrin wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:38 am psychic powers are impermanent.
True.. only cessastion is peace
frank k

Post by frank k »

That's the commentary interpretation.
The more likely common sense straightforward interpretation of the sutta is the way kappa is normally used, as the remainder of a cosmic aeon.
To give an example of how long an aeon is, that's the lifespan of a brahma realm being, and in this present aeon, 7 buddhas will arise and pass away.

AFAIK it only mentions the Buddha and Moggallana claiming to be able to exercise that ability of living out the aeon/kappa.
If it were only to extending one's life by 10-20 years, it's hard to imagine why so few disciples could do it, and why the Buddha would have to use an ambiguous and confusing word 'kappa'/cosmic aeon.

My guess, as how this ability would work, is probably you'd find a nice safe hiding place in the mountains where it's cold and quiet, sit in meditation in a state similar to 9th attainment of cessation (no breathing, super low metabolic rate), and wield manifold superpowers (as usual in 6 abhinna) in mind made bodies that to most people would seem like ordinary bodies, but maybe a little more subtle, like the body casts no shadow (taoist sages throughout time have also mastered 5 of the 6 abhinna, my uncle's friend saw a taoist immortal cast no shadow in a mind made body).

Another example, during the last 10 years of ajahn chah's life, where he was infirm and constantly bed ridden and body unconscious various disciples had seen him in other places having conversations and interacting with the sangha while he was known to be deathly ill and bed ridden.

www.lucid24.org/sted : ☸Lucid24.org🐘 STED definitions
www.audtip.org/audtip: 🎙️🔊Audio Tales in Pāli: ☸Dharma and Vinaya in many languages
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

frank k wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:40 pm That's the commentary interpretation.
The more likely common sense straightforward interpretation of the sutta is the way kappa is normally used, as the remainder of a cosmic aeon.
To give an example of how long an aeon is, that's the lifespan of a brahma realm being, and in this present aeon, 7 buddhas will arise and pass away.

AFAIK it only mentions the Buddha and Moggallana claiming to be able to exercise that ability of living out the aeon/kappa.
If it were only to extending one's life by 10-20 years, it's hard to imagine why so few disciples could do it, and why the Buddha would have to use an ambiguous and confusing word 'kappa'/cosmic aeon.

My guess, as how this ability would work, is probably you'd find a nice safe hiding place in the mountains where it's cold and quiet, sit in meditation in a state similar to 9th attainment of cessation (no breathing, super low metabolic rate), and wield manifold superpowers (as usual in 6 abhinna) in mind made bodies that to most people would seem like ordinary bodies, but maybe a little more subtle, like the body casts no shadow (taoist sages throughout time have also mastered 5 of the 6 abhinna, my uncle's friend saw a taoist immortal cast no shadow in a mind made body).

Another example, during the last 10 years of ajahn chah's life, where he was infirm and constantly bed ridden and body unconscious various disciples had seen him in other places having conversations and interacting with the sangha while he was known to be deathly ill and bed ridden.

Why only they can do?
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

this current age is almost over

hence Buddha would be here

however, he would soon be leaving
Inedible

Post by Inedible »

Have you considered reading books by Mantak Chia? You open the energy channels of the body and learn to draw in energies. Preserve your prenatal chi and extend your life.
frank k

Post by frank k »

Probably similar to how Anuruddha was the foremost in divine eye, could see 1000 world systems, and only the Buddha could see further out.
It's not that other disciples didn't have divine eyes that could see with less distance and quality. But the Buddha and anuruddha were exceptionally good.

confusedlayman wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:41 pm
frank k wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:40 pm That's the commentary interpretation.

Why only they can do?
www.lucid24.org/sted : ☸Lucid24.org🐘 STED definitions
www.audtip.org/audtip: 🎙️🔊Audio Tales in Pāli: ☸Dharma and Vinaya in many languages