Uncertainty risk gambling and emotion

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
The_common_zero

Uncertainty risk gambling and emotion

Post by The_common_zero »

I was wondering if there are any Buddhist writings that contain the ideas of uncertainty risk gambling and emotion all in one lecture?
cappuccino

Re: Uncertainty risk gambling and emotion

Post by cappuccino »

Gambling increases greed.

Best avoided.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

The_common_zero wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:16 am I was wondering if there are any Buddhist writings that contain the ideas of uncertainty risk gambling and emotion all in one lecture?
avoid gambling unless u do match fixing and u know certainly u will win..
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

When in Burma, I knew a monk who bought lottery tickets. I advised him: “The chances of winning the lottery are very low. If you give dāna, even to an animal, you are guaranteed to get at least 1,000 times in return.”

If you want to take a calculated risk to make a profit in this current existence, invest in any company that is doing something to improve the quality of life for living beings. Do not keep your savings in the bank. Banks have no ethical standards. They will invest in weapons or the sale of livestock for slaughter if it promises a good profit. Allegedly, they may even engage in money-laundering.

Speculating on stocks is very risky, and most people lose money. However, investing in stocks of ethical companies has a high probability of bringing good profits in the long term. The Buddha advised that trading is an activity with little work that brings rich rewards if it succeeds. (Subha Sutta, Majjhimanikāya).

All ordinary persons are not so spiritually advanced as to be free from greed. One should accept that everyone will follow desire until they gain the higher stages of the path. One should direct that greed in skilful ways to seek lawful happiness.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

This is the way that leads to ​riches, that is to say, to be a giver of food, drink, cloth, sandals, garlands, perfumes, unguents, bed, roof and lighting to monks and brahmans.

This is the way that leads to poverty, that is to say, not to be a giver of food, drink, cloth, sandals, garlands, perfumes, unguents, bed, roof and lighting to monks and brahmans.

Cula-kammavibhanga Sutta
mario92

Post by mario92 »

Namaste if for example there is some group in facebook with expert gamblers giving signals can this be considered wrong livelihood ( even if there is a good chance of winning)? If someone loses his money like other gamblers gambling, am i responsible for their losing? Is it bad kamma to get involved in their losing?
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

The scriptures say:
(d) "There are, young householder, these six evil consequences in indulging in gambling:

(i) the winner begets hate,
(ii) the loser grieves for lost wealth,
(iii) loss of wealth,
(iv) his word is not relied upon in a court of law,
(v) he is despised by his friends and associates,
(vi) he is not sought after for matrimony; for people would say he is a gambler and is not fit to look after a wife.

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .nara.html
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati