How to control my mind?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
JC938

How to control my mind?

Post by JC938 »

Hi,

I want to lose alot of weight. Few days ago I successfully controlled my mind and followed my diet for 5 days straight. But now I keep failing to control, I keep eating after seeing tasty food. How to control my mind?

Thanks.
sunnat

Post by sunnat »

avoid unnecessary stimulation, don't use the "see food" diet..
Practice a lot of diligent anapanasati. Let go of the craving feelings, they are not you. Eat healthy food. Exercise.
JC938

Re:

Post by JC938 »

sunnat wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:35 am avoid unnecessary stimulation, don't use the "see food" diet..
Practice a lot of diligent anapanasati. Let go of the craving feelings, they are not you. Eat healthy food. Exercise.
Thank you, I will try again (and again and again and again).
sunnat

Post by sunnat »

that's good.
It is the trying again and again, with no regrets, that leads to success.
denise

Re: How to control my mind?

Post by denise »

have had to use the "don't bring it in the house" method....but oh the temptation...if it comes in, it's just a matter of time before it's gone :o
coconut

Re: How to control my mind?

Post by coconut »

JC938 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:24 am Hi,

I want to lose alot of weight. Few days ago I successfully controlled my mind and followed my diet for 5 days straight. But now I keep failing to control, I keep eating after seeing tasty food. How to control my mind?

Thanks.
“Bhikkhus, this is how Nanda guards the doors of the sense faculties: If he needs to look to the east, he does so after he has fully considered the matter and clearly comprehends it thus: ‘When I look to the east, bad unwholesome states of longing and dejection will not flow in upon me.’ If he needs to look to the west … to the north … to the south … to look up … to look down … to survey the intermediate directions, he does so after he has fully considered the matter and clearly comprehends it thus: ‘When I look to the intermediate directions, bad unwholesome states of longing and dejection will not flow in upon me.’ That is how Nanda guards the doors of the sense faculties.

“This is Nanda’s mindfulness and clear comprehension: Nanda knows feelings as they arise, as they remain present, as they disappear; he knows perceptions as they arise, as they remain present, as they disappear; he knows thoughts as they arise, as they remain present, as they disappear. That is Nanda’s mindfulness and clear comprehension.

https://suttacentral.net/an8.9/en/bodhi

You control your mind by removing bad thoughts, feelings, and perceptions.
“But if while walking … standing … sitting … lying down a sensual thought or a thought of ill will or an aggressive thought arises in a bhikkhu and he does not tolerate it, but rejects it, dispels it, gets rid of it, and brings it to an end, that bhikkhu—who in such a manner is ardent and afraid of wrongdoing—is called constantly energetic and resolute.
- iti 110

Read the sutta MN 20 which tells you how to stop bad thoughts.

You need to be aware of your thoughts 24/7, you need to catch your thoughts Arising before they develop into emotions and impulsivity.