Pali Text Society

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
form

Pali Text Society

Post by form »

Are all the members in this society Buddhists?
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Re: Pali Text Society

Post by Sam Vara »

form wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:09 am Are all the members in this society Buddhists?
There is no requirement to be a Buddhist mentioned on their website. Fill in the application form, include the small fee, and that's it. I would imagine that most members are, though, or else academics doing research. Richard Gombrich used to be President, and he has never called himself a Buddhist.
Samana_Johann

Post by Samana_Johann »

form wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:09 am Are all the members in this society Buddhists?
It would be surely a good question raised if those undertaking are the Buddhas, Dhamma, Sanghas refugees and possible about the instructor. And good to share further after having asked personally and direct.

At least dealing with the tripple Gems, the Sanghas heritage, shouldn't be forgotten.

(Typos and grammar edited)
Last edited by Samana_Johann on Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:21 am, edited 4 times in total.
Neither invited nor member of the community here, but the here given as received: Dhamma-dana
coconut

Post by coconut »

Are most Buddhists, Buddhists?
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

I’m a member as I buy a lot of their books. You don’t have to be though.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
form

Post by form »

Those that are not Buddhist but members of Pali Text Society, what stance do they hold to Buddhism? Philosophical? Or do they exclude all the mythologies? Examine from a scientific angle?