The Buddha statue

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Mangaka

The Buddha statue

Post by Mangaka »

Hello everyone, please I would like to ask about the Buddha statue (attached image in this topic).
I hope it is statue od the Buddha Siddhattha Gotama, some people told me that it isn't him...

Please... what do you think? I do prostrations daily before the Buddha and my prostrations belongs to the Buddha Siddhattha Gotama, Dhamma and Sangha.

Thank you very much and have a nice day
Attachments
IMG_20210121_030904663.jpg
DNS
Site Admin

Re: The Buddha statue

Post by DNS »

It's Amitabha Buddha, the buddha who presides over the Western Pure Land according to some schools of Mahayana Buddhism. Statues of Amitabha typically have two circles made with the hands and both shoulders covered with the robe.

However, it looks similar to Gotama-Buddha, so imo, you can consider it the Buddha of this Dispensation, Gotama-Buddha, if you like.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Statues of Gotama typically have only one shoulder covered and sometimes (though not always), one hand reaching for the ground, in the earth-witness pose when he attained enlightenment.

Mangaka

Post by Mangaka »

Thank you very much for your answer.
I hope it isn't bad that I did prostrations (as Theravada buddhist) before this statue, what should I do? Should I find for example statue like that you shared, ask for forgivness for my ignorance? I wasn't sure about statue... I still have a lot to learn and deepen my understanding.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Other opinions might vary from mine, but my opinion is that it is just a symbol; so if you see it as The Buddha (Gotama), then that works.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

DNS wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:39 am It's Amitabha Buddha, the buddha who presides over the Western Pure Land according to some schools of Mahayana Buddhism. Statues of Amitabha typically have two circles made with the hands and both shoulders covered with the robe.

However, it looks similar to Gotama-Buddha, so imo, you can consider it the Buddha of this Dispensation, Gotama-Buddha, if you like.
Yes. That is my understanding too.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
justindesilva

Post by justindesilva »

DNS wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:43 am Statues of Gotama typically have only one shoulder covered and sometimes (though not always), one hand reaching for the ground, in the earth-witness pose when he attained enlightenment.

A budda statue found in Gandara ( now pakistan) as made in around 2CE can be seen in a national museum of London.
Another standing statue on rock of budda about 40:ft tall.It is a well renowned statue well applauded by many a tourist visiting Sri Lanka. It's name is Avukana budda statue with many qualities of Budda shown. The sculptor of this statue is said to have meditated on the 9 qualities of Lord budda, before making it, while he has developed a similar image in his mind.
At the same time a very historical statue called samadhi budda statue at Anuradhapura which is also thousands of years ago. This samadhi statue was liked by former prime minister of India Javaharlal Nehru. He is said to have spent much time in meditation in front of this.
Various statues are built with different mudras indicating different mind states of budda. Each mudra has a different meaning. Further it is noticed that the features of sculpted statues relates to the country where it is done.
However what matters is the qualities of Lord budda that has to be identified in reflection .
justindesilva

Post by justindesilva »

DNS wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:43 am Statues of Gotama typically have only one shoulder covered and sometimes (though not always), one hand reaching for the ground, in the earth-witness pose when he attained enlightenment.

A budda statue found in Gandara ( now pakistan) as made in around 2CE can be seen in a national museum of London.
Another standing statue on rock of budda about 40:ft tall.It is a well renowned statue well applauded by many a tourist visiting Sri Lanka. It's name is Avukana budda statue with many qualities of Budda shown. The sculptor of this statue is said to have meditated on the 9 qualities of Lord budda, before making it, while he has developed a similar image in his mind.
At the same time a very historical statue called samadhi budda statue at Anuradhapura which is also thousands of years ago. This samadhi statue was liked by former prime minister of India Javaharlal Nehru. He is said to have spent much time in meditation in front of this.
Various statues are built with different mudras indicating different mind states of budda. Each mudra has a different meaning. Further it is noticed that the features of sculpted statues relates to the country where it is done.
However what matters is the qualities of Lord budda that has to be identified in reflection .