Can Mara be real?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
confusedlayman

Re: Can Mara be real?

Post by confusedlayman »

circuit wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:37 am Mara is our clinging to samsara, our clinging to Five Aggregates, to kamatanha, bhavatanha, vibhavatanha , our clinging to notion of self --- unconsciously underlying latent defilements.
cmiiw
so buddha was speaking to clinging or self or Tanha when he already removed them ?
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

It's perfectly ok to personalize one's obsessions. For some it's a useful psychological trick to be able deal with them.
Cleared. αδόξαστος.
johnsmitty

Post by johnsmitty »

oatsandmilk wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:09 pm I have always thought of Mara as part of our inner darkness, the delusion, greed, hatred that we carry around.

Twice in past 20 months I have tried to develop my practice to strictest standards.

When the practice gets really intense and I am present and aware, following the 8FP scrupulously, my mind is becoming purer and purer (I can literally feel my mind getting purer because of the love and compassion I feel for strangers) there is a terrible rude interruption in my life from an unexpected direction.

Can Mara be real and external?

:anjali:
If there is no devil, why is there so much evil in the world?
salayatananirodha

Post by salayatananirodha »

Aloka wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:22 pm
oatsandmilk wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:09 pm

Only in your imagination.

māra is not JUST a metaphor; sometimes he is but take this for example http://obo.genaud.net/dhamma-vinaya/pts ... rn.pts.htm
it accounts moggallana's past life as a māra, and its one of many examples of a māra speaking to and interacting with the buddha or the saṅgha
could someone link the sutta in which māra comes and makes it appear there is like an earthquake while the monks are meditating?
I host a sutta discussion via Zoom Sundays at 11AM Chicago time — message me if you are interested
circuit

Post by circuit »

confusedlayman wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:20 pm

so buddha was speaking to clinging or self or Tanha when he already removed them ?
what is the meaning of "... buddha was speaking to clinging...."

afaik, Buddha speak to his disciples, and in stories about his victory to overcome defilements, depicted as "Mara" and "Mara" is personification of defilements, not a real entity.
form

Post by form »

You will get same kinds of replies.

I ask this at least once in this forum before.
form

Post by form »

circuit wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:37 am Mara is our clinging to samsara, our clinging to Five Aggregates, to kamatanha, bhavatanha, vibhavatanha , our clinging to notion of self --- unconsciously underlying latent defilements.
cmiiw
Why did Mara still disturb him and other Arahats after nibanna?
Last edited by form on Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kusala

Post by Kusala »

oatsandmilk wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:09 pm I have always thought of Mara as part of our inner darkness, the delusion, greed, hatred that we carry around.

Twice in past 20 months I have tried to develop my practice to strictest standards.

When the practice gets really intense and I am present and aware, following the 8FP scrupulously, my mind is becoming purer and purer (I can literally feel my mind getting purer because of the love and compassion I feel for strangers) there is a terrible rude interruption in my life from an unexpected direction.

Yes, Mara is real. Anyone who has developed "Abhijna"(higher knowledge) knows that Mara is real and not just a figment of one's imagination.
"He, the Blessed One, is indeed the Noble Lord, the Perfectly Enlightened One;
He is impeccable in conduct and understanding, the Serene One, the Knower of the Worlds;
He trains perfectly those who wish to be trained; he is Teacher of gods and men; he is Awake and Holy. "

--------------------------------------------
"The Dhamma is well-expounded by the Blessed One,
Apparent here and now, timeless, encouraging investigation,
Leading to liberation, to be experienced individually by the wise. "
form

Post by form »

Kusala wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:58 pm

Yes, Mara is real. Anyone who has developed "Abhijna"(higher knowledge) knows that Mara is real and not just a figment of one's imagination.
Meaning no one here has higher knowledge? No offence. Cos no one here is sure. For me I only based the evidence on the records of the Buddha and others were being disturb by a being in the sutta.
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

Post by Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta »

oatsandmilk wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:09 pm ...

Mara is
  • Real
  • and, "Internal"
:heart:
𝓑𝓾𝓭𝓭𝓱𝓪 𝓗𝓪𝓭 𝓤𝓷𝓮𝓺𝓾𝓲𝓿𝓸𝓬𝓪𝓵𝓵𝔂 𝓓𝓮𝓬𝓵𝓪𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽
  • Iᴅᴇᴀ ᴏꜰ Sᴏᴜʟ ɪs Oᴜᴛᴄᴏᴍᴇ ᴏꜰ ᴀɴ Uᴛᴛᴇʀʟʏ Fᴏᴏʟɪsʜ Vɪᴇᴡ
    V. Nanananda

𝓐𝓷𝓪𝓽𝓽ā 𝓜𝓮𝓪𝓷𝓼 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽 𝓣𝓱𝓮𝓻𝓮 𝓘𝓼
  • Nᴏ sᴜᴄʜ ᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴀs ᴀ Sᴇʟғ, Sᴏᴜʟ, Eɢᴏ, Sᴘɪʀɪᴛ, ᴏʀ Āᴛᴍᴀɴ
    V. Buddhādasa
Lucas Oliveira

Post by Lucas Oliveira »

:namaste:
I participate in this forum using Google Translator. http://translate.google.com.br

http://www.acessoaoinsight.net/
thepea

Post by thepea »

form wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:05 am For those that explained it is imagination,there is no way they can explain the Mara figure that the Buddha and others encounteted n the sutta. Buddha. They are also imagining things?
Mara is the strawman(fiction), enlightenment is sovereignty(fact).
Know what you are is not imagination.
form

Post by form »

One of the chief disciple of Buddha was said in the sutta to be a relative of the current Mara. If I dun remember wrongly it was said that one of the distant previous life of the Buddha was a Mara also.

So Mara is only greed, hatred and delusion? And also internal?

Once the current Mara was described to attach to the intestine of one of his chief disciple.

Once Mara was exposed, he turned into smokes and dashed in many directions. This is special effects of the day because there is no Hollywood last time?
johnsmitty

Post by johnsmitty »

form wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:25 am
cmiiw
Aside from that, I still think my question hits more to the heart of the matter "If there is no devil, why is there so much evil in the world?" I mean if some modern liberal Christians were saying "the devil is just a metaphor" then quoting the story of the devil appearing to Jesus to tempt him in the wilderness wouldn't convince them. I suppose they simply can't be convinced. But if they could, then meditating on "If there is no devil, why is there so much evil in the world?" is perhaps the only way, but they won't consider the question for one moment because they are too full of themselves and their fake atheist 1800s style enlightenment that they've substituted for Buddha's enlightenment.
chownah

Post by chownah »

johnsmitty wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:03 am
form wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:25 am

Aside from that, I still think my question hits more to the heart of the matter "If there is no devil, why is there so much evil in the world?" I mean if some modern liberal Christians were saying "the devil is just a metaphor" then quoting the story of the devil appearing to Jesus to tempt him in the wilderness wouldn't convince them. I suppose they simply can't be convinced. But if they could, then meditating on "If there is no devil, why is there so much evil in the world?" is perhaps the only way, but they won't consider the question for one moment because they are too full of themselves and their fake atheist 1800s style enlightenment that they've substituted for Buddha's enlightenment.
I don't see evil in the world.
Aside from that if there is a devil in a world so full of evil then the devil should be perceived directly by many/most/all people......but the devil is not perceived even indirectly by the people I have met....even the people I have met who believe in the devil have not perceived the devil directly.....
chownah