Bringing up questions with teachers

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
mabw

Bringing up questions with teachers

Post by mabw »

Have any of you ever had the experience where your teacher actually said something that the texts don't support?

I don't exactly have a teacher but I usually go to the monastic whom I took refuge under to clarify questions and for pastoral reasons. His response once on rebirth was, in my opinion, not classical to say the least. I shan't elaborate for his response does not diminish my respect for him and since we do not have a formal teacher-student relationship anyway. He apparently got his understanding from his teacher who, if you are familiar with Burmese monastic examinations, was apparently quite qualified.

I'm just asking this question in cases where there is a formal teacher - student relationship. Is there such a thing as Theravadan epistemology to address this? Something approximating Dharmakirti and Dignaga for example.
cappuccino

Re: Bringing up questions with teachers

Post by cappuccino »

Learn from Buddha

:shrug:
mabw

Post by mabw »

cappuccino wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:35 am Learn from Buddha

:shrug:
If only we could. What we have though are texts and people's interpretation of his words. Hence my question.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

mabw wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:52 am
cappuccino wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:35 am Learn from Buddha
If only we could. What we have though are texts and people's interpretation of his words. Hence my question.
I would rely on translations
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

mabw wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:31 am Have any of you ever had the experience where your teacher actually said something that the texts don't support?
Sure, it happens sometimes. People can be mistaken. Teachers and monks aren't infallible, they don't have a direct hotline to the Buddha.
mabw

Post by mabw »

JamesTheGiant wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:00 am
Sure, it happens sometimes. People can be mistaken. Teachers and monks aren't infallible, they don't have a direct hotline to the Buddha.
I should have included this in the question above: "what do you do then? do you bring it up to the teacher? i don't imagine many Asian teachers to be open to being questioned. if there is a formal teacher-student relationship, often times the student is expected to conform."
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

mabw wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:31 am Have any of you ever had the experience where your teacher actually said something that the texts don't support?

... we do not have a formal teacher-student relationship anyway ...
A teacher-student relationship isn't a 'formal' one. But it is obvious that you don't have a teacher-student relationship with that monk because of this post of yours.
Cleared. αδόξαστος.
Inedible

Post by Inedible »

One of these days I'm going to meet a teacher who doesn't think I made up the word jhana.
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

mabw wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:11 am "what do you do then? do you bring it up to the teacher? i don't imagine many Asian teachers to be open to being questioned. if there is a formal teacher-student relationship, often times the student is expected to conform."
If a teacher isn't open to being questioned or corrected, that's a deal-breaker for me, I would not have them as a teacher. That's a really important point.
Fortunately I know many good bhikkhus who welcome correction. Usually I do my research on the question, find a sutta or whatever, and ask them later in a more private setting.
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

Someone isn't necessarily a bad teacher because they don't adopt a non-classical interpretation of the suttas. The main thing that is important in any teacher is to watch their morality. If you have concerns there after watching for a substantial amount of time, then you should seek someone else.
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

mabw wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:31 am His response once on rebirth was, in my opinion, not classical to say the least.
There is no uniform doctrine in cultural Theravada Buddhism.
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
circuit

Post by circuit »

mabw wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:31 am ....... His response once on rebirth was, in my opinion, not classical to say the least. ....
imho,

2600 years ago, The Buddha answered questions from people, and if the people who already have view about rebirth, then The Buddha use the term "rebirth" and give new meanings to answer them in order to make them realize Anicca, Dukkha, Anatta , to understand Paticca Samuppada, and order to make them choose the Path to Nibbana , the Path to Freedom. and let go of rebirth view.