sutta reference on dāna

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
salayatananirodha

sutta reference on dāna

Post by salayatananirodha »

i recall reading on suttacentral a particular sutta that says that people might give a gift for various reasons, like being angry or out of stupidity
can someone find
I host a sutta discussion via Zoom Sundays at 11AM Chicago time — message me if you are interested
DooDoot

Re: sutta reference on dāna

Post by DooDoot »

There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

Or, instead… he gives a gift with the thought, 'Just as there were the great sacrifices of the sages of the past … in the same way will this be my distribution of gifts'… on the break-up of the body, after death, he reappears in the company of the devas who delight in creation. Then, having exhausted that action, that power, that status, that sovereignty, he is a returner, coming back to this world.

Dana Sutta: Giving
salayatananirodha

its not that one
I host a sutta discussion via Zoom Sundays at 11AM Chicago time — message me if you are interested
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Several of the ten suttas in the Dānavagga of the AN's Book of the Eights answer to this description. See. AN 8:31 to AN 8:40.

This is AN 8:33...
“Bhikkhus, there are these eight grounds for giving. What eight?

(1) One gives a gift from desire. (2) One gives a gift from hatred. (3) One gives a gift from delusion. (4) One gives a gift from fear. (5) One gives a gift, thinking: ‘Giving was practiced before by my father and forefathers; I should not abandon this ancient family custom.’ (6) One gives a gift, thinking: ‘Having given this gift, with the breakup of the body, after death, I will be reborn in a good destination, in a heavenly world.’ (7) One gives a gift, thinking: ‘When I am giving this gift my mind becomes placid, and elation and joy arise.’ (8) One gives a gift for the purpose of ornamenting the mind, equipping the mind. These are the eight grounds for giving.”
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
salayatananirodha

Dhammanando wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:01 am Several of the ten suttas in the Dānavagga of the AN's Book of the Eights answer to this description. See. AN 8:31 to AN 8:40.

This is AN 8:33...
“Bhikkhus, there are these eight grounds for giving. What eight?

(1) One gives a gift from desire. (2) One gives a gift from hatred. (3) One gives a gift from delusion. (4) One gives a gift from fear. (5) One gives a gift, thinking: ‘Giving was practiced before by my father and forefathers; I should not abandon this ancient family custom.’ (6) One gives a gift, thinking: ‘Having given this gift, with the breakup of the body, after death, I will be reborn in a good destination, in a heavenly world.’ (7) One gives a gift, thinking: ‘When I am giving this gift my mind becomes placid, and elation and joy arise.’ (8) One gives a gift for the purpose of ornamenting the mind, equipping the mind. These are the eight grounds for giving.”
:bow: