refererence to laywoman with psychic powers

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
bazzaman

refererence to laywoman with psychic powers

Post by bazzaman »

I don't know if it is in the Canon or the commentaries, but I am looking for a reference to a story about a laywoman, who, during the Buddha's time, fed monks with the food they liked best by reading their minds. I tried the search feature with no luck. Ditto with other search engines.
Atāṇo loko anabhissaro...

Yena yena hi maññanti tato taṃ hoti aññathā,
SDC

Re: refererence to laywoman with psychic powers

Post by SDC »

AN 1.248-267 are lists of the most prominent lay male and female followers, and what made them outstanding. If any possessed psychic powers I would imagine they would be listed there. In fact, I only recall a very few instances where the laity witnessed a monastic displaying psychic abilities, let alone any cases where a lay person had such abilities themselves.
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
bazzaman

Post by bazzaman »

Thank you Bhante.

bazzaman

Post by bazzaman »

bazzaman wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:30 am Thank you Bhante. Since you gave me her name I could do a more effective search. U Pandiata Sayadaw relates her story in "In This Very Life, which is where I probably came across it decades ago. http://aimwell.org/inthisverylife.html# ... Conditions

bazzaman

Post by bazzaman »

bazzaman wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:40 am
bazzaman wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:30 am Thank you Bhante. Since you gave me her name I could do a more effective search. U Pandita Sayadaw relates her story in "In This Very Life, which is where I probably came across it decades ago. http://aimwell.org/inthisverylife.html# ... Conditions

Cause_and_Effect

Post by Cause_and_Effect »

The story here is valuable

"Some forest monks dwelt near the village of Mātika. A devout woman, receiving instruction from the monks, attained Non-returning and the ability to read others’ thoughts. Since she knew every thought of the monks, she provided whatever they needed without even being asked. Before long the monks attained Arahantship and returned to pay respects to the Buddha. On being asked, they told him how well the lay woman had looked after their needs.

Hearing this, a certain monk asked permission to go there. From the moment he arrived, she provided everything he wanted. The monk, fearing that evil thoughts might arise, soon left and told the Buddha why he couldn’t remain there. The Buddha told him to return and to restrain his wild mind. He did so, and soon gained Arahantship."

So if we perceive that our thoughts could be read or we are in the presence of a mind reader, we would exercise far more restraint over what thoughts we allowed ourselves to indulge in.

Ṭhānissaro Bhikkhu had given a description of this when in the presence of his teacher Ajahn Fuang also.

There is a sutta which I cannot recall the name of currently but it is mentioned that a guardian of one's practice is by using 'the witness as standard', that there are powerful meditators and many devas who can witness ones thoughts and actions and this is a further discipline for right conduct in all matters and at all times.
"Therein monks, that Dimension should be known wherein the eye ceases and the perception of forms fades away...the ear... the nose...the tongue... the body ceases and the perception of touch fades away...

That Dimension should be known wherein mentality ceases and the perception of mind-objects fades away.
That Dimension should be known; that Dimension should be known."

(S. IV. 98) - The Dimension beyond the All