Are you a Dictionary-believer or Commentary-believer?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

Dictionary-believer
43%
Commentary-believer
29%
Choice-driven
29%

Total votes: 14

Eko Care

Post by Eko Care »

Here 'Dictionary believer' means the one who uses the common meaning for words without believing the option given by commentaries.
Your selection will affect your whole understanding of Dhamma and view, because it affects the interpretation of rest of the words as well.
Eg: Meaning of the words like

Anidassana Vinyana,
Pabbhassara Citta,
Sambhavesi,
Antara parinibbayi,
Thatagata (Abyakata Samyutta),
Saddhanusari,
Dhammanusari,
Magga patipanno,
Nama

..etc
Last edited by Eko Care on Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DooDoot

Re: Are you a Dictionary-believer or Commentary-believer?

Post by DooDoot »

The current Pali dictionaries, particularly the PTS, appear often sectarian interpretive rather than etymological; therefore appear cannot be relied on. The impression is the English scholars who compiled the PTS Dictionaries were indoctrinated by Sri Lankans in a country (Sri Lanka) where Buddhism came close to extinction and had to be revived by the Burmese.

These interpretive dictionaries often follow the Commentaries, therefore this topic's choices appear illogical.

The 3rd choice of this topic is equally illogical; given Buddhism is not about choosing your own idiosyncratic doctrinal interpretation.

I think the only way to understand Pali words is to: (i) use an etymological approach and (ii) analyze how they are used contextually in the suttas.

For example, the word 'upapajjati' is found in MN 148, where it obviously does not mean 'reborn' or 'reincarnated'.

Therefore, if we use an etymological approach and also analyze how words are used contextually in the suttas; we can find the meaning of a word that will fit most or all contexts.
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
Eko Care

Post by Eko Care »

DooDoot wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:28 pm .. use an etymological approach ...
So it is an (unpublished) etymological dictionary.
Wikipedia
Etymological dictionaries are the product of research in historical linguistics.
For many words in any language, the etymology will be uncertain, disputed, or simply unknown.
(may be like this)
Eko Care

Post by Eko Care »

Dear DooDoot, I'll ask your permission first, to critically see what you said.
DooDoot wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:28 pm The current Pali dictionaries, particularly the PTS, appear often sectarian interpretive rather than etymological;
From a secular point of view PTS may be sectarian interpretive.
From a traditional western monk's point of view PTS may be philological.
[Ven. Nyanaponika - Visuddhimagga Introduction:]The PED, as its preface states, is “essentially preliminary”; for when it was published many books had still not been collated; it leaves out many words even from the Sutta Piþaka, and the Sub-commentaries are not touched by it. Also—and most important here—in the making of that dictionary the study of Pali literature had for the most part not been tackled much from, shall one say, the philosophical, or better, epistemological, angle,24 work and interest having been concentrated till then almost exclusively on history and philology.
For instance, the epistemologically unimportant word vimána (divine mansion) is given more than twice the space allotted to the term paþiccasamuppáda (dependent origination), a difficult subject of central importance, the article on which is altogether inadequate and misleading (owing partly to misapplication of the “historical method”).
From the commentarial point of view PTS may be a philological attempt or secular attempt.
DooDoot wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:28 pm English scholars who compiled the PTS Dictionaries were indoctrinated by Sri Lankans
but not fully
DooDoot wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:28 pm in a country (Sri Lanka) where Buddhism came close to extinction and had to be revived by the Burmese.
What revived at several times in Sri Lanka was Upasampada not the doctrine.
DooDoot wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:28 pm had to be revived by the Burmese.
If revived, then no problem
DooDoot wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:28 pm These interpretive dictionaries often follow the Commentaries
May be not always
DooDoot wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:28 pm ; given Buddhism is not about choosing your own idiosyncratic doctrinal interpretation.
Have you ever seen people doing the correct thing?
DooDoot wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:28 pm only way
Is this the differently interpreted word "Ekayana Magga"?
DooDoot wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:28 pm I think the only way to understand Pali words is to: (i) use an etymological approach and (ii) analyze how they are used contextually in the suttas.
That may be similar to say like this: (i) use an UNCERTAIN approach and (ii) analyze UNCERTAINLY how they are used contextually in the suttas.
DooDoot wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:28 pm For example, the word 'upapajjati' is found in MN 148, where it obviously does not mean 'reborn' or 'reincarnated'.
I feel like ven. Buddhaghosa speaking.
You seem like re-inventing gunpowder.
MN 148 Chachakkasuttavaṇṇanā
.... Tattha na upapajjatīti na yujjati. .....
DooDoot wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:28 pm if we use an etymological approach and also analyze how words are used contextually in the suttas;
we can find the meaning of a word that will fit most or all contexts.
or some
DooDoot wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:28 pm the above is not reconcilable for the dictionary or commentary sects; how the word "upapajjati" is translated as both "tenable" and "to be reborn"
Inverse Theory
DooDoot wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:28 pm only an "etymological" approach can resolve the above "contextual" conundrum
can re-solve what has already solved.
Eko Care

Post by Eko Care »

Eko Care wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:00 am
DooDoot wrote:
For example, the word 'upapajjati' is found in MN 148, where it obviously does not mean 'reborn' or 'reincarnated'.
I feel like ven. Buddhaghosa speaking.
You seem like re-inventing gunpowder.
Correction: (Here I meant the following idea. My first language is not English)

I feel like ven. Buddhaghosa speaking to me. (Because what he has said is actually what the commentary says.)
He seems like re-inventing gunpowder. (Because he gives an already given meaning as if he invented it)
Eko Care

Post by Eko Care »

Maria Heim's new The Forerunner of All Things (Oxford University Press, 2013)
is one of the few books to explore Buddhaghosa's extremely wide corpus of work on a whole. She focuses on the theme of intention (cetana) to explore how Buddhaghosa articulates a moral psychology very different from modern Western conceptions of ethics that focus on individual choices and decisions. The book is an important work for philosophers in moral psychology as well as students of Theravada.

Have you atleast read some pages of one of these?
Maria Heim, Professor of Religion: 1, 2
While my training and scholarship are focused on premodern South Asian Buddhism, I teach about the whole Buddhist world, past and present, across diverse traditions in Asia and the west. ...
and much of my work involves texts that have not been translated into any modern language. My focus is primarily on the intellectual history of the Theravada tradition, that is, the main form of Buddhism found today in Sri Lanka and mainland Southeast Asia.
I have also worked a great deal on the 5th century Theravada thinker Buddhaghosa.
Interview "Buddhaghosa: Immeasurable Words"
Maria Heim: I have tried to point out that modern ways of reading based on historicist philology that began in the late 18thcentury in Europe are hardly universal. As we note that the theories and interpretative practices of modern philology are themselves products of a certain localized history, we can become aware of alternative ways of reading and thinking about texts from other times and places that were innocent of them. For me this perhaps obvious insight has entailed wanting to know what Buddhaghosa's "theory of text" is and what he thinks is required to interpret a text. (Sheldon Pollock's work has been good on helping us to think about how texts often suggest an implicit or explicit theory of text and alternative philologies.)

I have found Buddhaghosa to be remarkably explicit about this once I let myself be guided by his agendas. He tells us repeatedly that the "meaning and phrasing" of scripture are immeasurable, that we should look for beauty in every unit of text, that some kinds of Buddhist knowledge are particularist and context-dependent while other forms of it have a more abstract, view-from-nowhere quality, that the Buddha spoke in both colloquial and analytically-precise registers that should be interpreted differently, and so on. These qualities of the Buddha's knowledge suggest different ways of reading and interpreting it, and so can function as guidelines for us. We then arrive at understandings of Buddhist ideas and intellectual practices different from what we would have if we limited ourselves to European philology's interest in text criticism, historicism, etc.
Voice of the Buddha: Buddhaghosa on the Immeasurable Words
By examining the significance of the immeasurability of scripture in commentarial practice and as a general principle, this book offers new tools to understand the huge scriptural and commentarial literature of the Pali tradition. And by taking seriously a traditional commentator's theory of texts, it beckons us to learn from commentaries themselves how we might read and interpret them and the texts on which they comment.
Some publications/articles:
The Forerunner of All Things: Buddhaghosa on Mind, Intention, and Agency. New York: Oxford University Press, 2013.
“She Who Heard Much: Notes on Receiving, Interpreting, and Transmitting Buddhavacana.” International Journal of Hindu Studies, 2015.
“Visuddhimagga/Buddhaghosa.” Oxford Bibliographies for Buddhism, ed. Richard Payne, et. al. Oxford, 2017.
“Buddhaghosa on the Phenomenology of Love and Compassion.” The Oxford Handbook of Indian Philosophy, edited by Jonardon Ganeri. New York: Oxford University Press, 2017: 171-189.
The Voice of the Buddha: Buddhaghosa on the Immeasurable Words. New York: Oxford University Press, 2018.
“In a Double Way: Nāma-rūpa in Buddhaghosa’s Phenomenology,” co-authored with Chakravarthi Ram-Prasad. Philosophy East and West, 2018 68.4: 1085-1115.
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

Eko Care wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:43 pm ....
Amazing. You appear to be the only poster on this topic you created after the invoking of the censors. What is the point & benefit of this topic about 'dictionaries' when the dictionaries cannot even be critiqued using the suttas? What is the point of starting this topic when one cannot post their opinion on the topic?
Eko Care wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:43 pm Eg: Meaning of the words like

Anidassana Vinyana,
Pabbhassara Citta,
Sambhavesi,
Antara parinibbayi,
Thatagata (Abyakata Samyutta),
Saddhanusari,
Dhammanusari,
Magga patipanno,
Nama

..etc
Pointless contributing to the above when posts quoting dictionaries & suttas will be censored & removed.
Eko Care wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:43 pmAre you a Dictionary-believer or Commentary-believer?

Dictionary-believer?
Commentary-believer?
Choice-driven?
Sorry but we are not allowed to answer the above questions honestly & intelligently. If we do, the asker of the questions may invoke the censors. :spy:
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
Eko Care

Post by Eko Care »

Actually the Pali language and their meanings came down (from the Blessed One's time), by the monks who believed the commentary.

So there is no way to find a Pali independent from the commentary. All the old Pali grammar books are kind of sub-commentaries.

So if one believes an own interpretation of the pali text, then it will be a mixture of commentarial and anti-commentarial interpretations, which leads nowhere because it is a
Salad.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

I believe only if I can experience it in some way.
For instance, I believe in Nibbana based on simple experiences such as observing precepts.
However, I use commentary or a dictionary to build my groundwork.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
SDC

Post by SDC »

Eko Care wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:52 am Actually the Pali language and their meanings came down (from the Blessed One's time), by the monks who believed the commentary.

So there is no way to find a Pali independent from the commentary. All the old Pali grammar books are kind of sub-commentaries.

So if one believes an own interpretation of the pali text, then it will be a mixture of commentarial and anti-commentarial interpretations, which leads nowhere because it is a
Salad.
You’re actually sort of trashing the ancient commentators and grammarians by trying to make this argument. Modern PEDs and translations are the result of their very hard work. Your issue is with how people continue to build on those primary meanings with interpretations that are at variance with the broader perspective of certain commentaries. That is a valid argument. You should probably find a simpler way to make your point. Something like, “I think the commentarial interpretation is most practical for gaining freedom from suffering because…”.
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
Eko Care

Post by Eko Care »

I think the commentarial interpretation is most trustworthy,
compared to other interpretations which have been created by
mere speculating about the meanings of textual phrases
using the dictionaries.
SDC

Post by SDC »

Eko Care wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:50 pm I think the commentarial interpretation is most trustworthy,
compared to other interpretations which have been created by
mere speculating about the meanings of textual phrases
using the dictionaries.
Depends on what dictionary you’re talking about. As far as I know, most Pali-English dictionaries are to some degree based off of commentarial views. I agree that there are many interpretations that build upon that basic framework into something completely at variance with the broader view of the commentarial tradition, but the very basis is still rooted in what came from the ancient grammarians and commentators. Like I said, you should structure your argument a little better so you don’t inadvertently end up calling into question the soundness of commentarial interpretations that are responsible for modern knowledge of the Pali language and therefore has a solid presence in modern translations and dictionaries.

It would probably be most efficient for you to just promote what you think is the soundness of the commentarial tradition without trying to take an additional swipe at everything else. It belittles the commentarial tradition, in the sense that you think it necessary to undermine what else is available in order for your beliefs to shine. If your goal is to lead people to liberation, you should spend more time on what works rather than on criticizing what doesn’t. If I gave you a map to buried treasure would it be useful to waste a lot of time telling you why it’s a bad idea to stay away from the burning pit of lava or would I just make it clear which path will get you around it?
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

I don't read pali language, so the question is irrelevant to me. I just read English translations of suttas, and leave dictionaries and commentaries to whoever is doing the translation.
2600htz

Post by 2600htz »

Hi:

Uhmm i would say choice driven.
Usually i go by what the translated suttas say.
If the topic is controversial i listen to different explanations either commentaries or people, but then i go to the interpretation of whom i consider my teacher. Im more tilted towards the teachers perspective most of the time. My teacher is more of a meditator than an intellectual, so in intellectual matters of buddhism im more open to different ideas.

Regards
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
DooDoot wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:28 pm The current Pali dictionaries, particularly the PTS, appear often sectarian interpretive rather than etymological; therefore appear cannot be relied on. The impression is the English scholars who compiled the PTS Dictionaries were indoctrinated by Sri Lankans in a country (Sri Lanka) where Buddhism came close to extinction and had to be revived by the Burmese.

These interpretive dictionaries often follow the Commentaries, therefore this topic's choices appear illogical.

The 3rd choice of this topic is equally illogical; given Buddhism is not about choosing your own idiosyncratic doctrinal interpretation.

I think the only way to understand Pali words is to: (i) use an etymological approach and (ii) analyze how they are used contextually in the suttas.

Therefore, if we use an etymological approach and also analyze how words are used contextually in the suttas; we can find the meaning of a word that will fit most or all contexts.
I think DooDoot's initial analysis here is an appropriate one.

I would also add, in light of the wording of the poll question, that's it's not a matter of "belief" since the Dhamma is to understood, not merely treated as an object for faith-based veneration.

Therefore, the best interpretation is the one that helps you understand the Dhamma of the Buddha. If you're being partisan about that endeavour, you're cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."