Anagami have no anger because they dont possess anything?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
pegembara

Re: Anagami have no anger because they dont possess anything?

Post by pegembara »

SarathW wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:59 am
pegembara wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:54 am
SarathW wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:52 am
The point here in the above post is that you do not get angry when you have a self-view.
Does this mean Sotapanna and Anagami also not get angry as they have eliminated self-view?
Even if you are without a doubt that there is no fixed self, the perception of a centre still persists.

The "I am" conceit is only gotten rid of by the arahant. There is no centre left. How can any anger arise if there are no more likes and dislikes?
The sotapanna and anagami know that "smoking" is harmful. The anagami can perhaps control his anger at will by the jhanas whereas the arahant has no need to do so.
Sorry. You did not get my point.
The OP question is why Angami does not have anger.
Is that because they don't have sensual pleasures or self-view or something else.
Then your answer has to tally with Sotapanna and Sakdhagami.
There is a difference between sakkaya ditthi and asmi mana.

Self identity= The view that mistakenly identifies any of the khandha as "self"; the first of the ten fetters (samyojana).
https://www.wisdomlib.org/definition/sakkaya-ditthi

The view is not the same as the lived experience just like a smoker who just learns about the dangers of smoking.

This center is only removed in an arahant (You are not here, there, or anywhere in between). That was why I sort of agree with Doo Doot that the anagami can control anger at will whereas the arahant has no need.

The anagami still possess conceit.
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.