Memories

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Mangaka

Memories

Post by Mangaka »

Hi everyone, what do you think about taking lessons from past actions (through memories)? It is alright if one remembers past deeds (may think about them to understand what happened and how to be aware of faults from now)?
Is this remembering wrong deeds without bad intention (both exactly or inaccurately memories) safe or we risk creating some additional bad kamma?
Eko Care

Re: Memories

Post by Eko Care »

Mangaka wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:12 pm It is alright if one remembers past deeds to understand what happened and how to be aware of faults from now?
Is this remembering wrong deeds without bad intention safe or we risk creating some additional bad kamma?
A great question!
I believe most of the people are not confident in answering this question.

(Excluding the people who are overconfident and trolls)
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Mangaka wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:12 pm Hi everyone, what do you think about taking lessons from past actions (through memories)? It is alright if one remembers past deeds (may think about them to understand what happened and how to be aware of faults from now)?
Is this remembering wrong deeds without bad intention (both exactly or inaccurately memories) safe or we risk creating some additional bad kamma?
Hi Mangaka,

This sutta quote might provide you with some inspiration in connection with memories:

“Just as a royal frontier fortress has a gatekeeper—wise,
experienced, intelligent—to keep out those he doesn’t know
and to let in those he does, for the protection of those
within, and to ward off those without; in the same way, a
disciple of the noble ones is mindful, endowed with
excellent proficiency in mindfulness, remembering &
recollecting what was done and said a long time ago. With
mindfulness as his gatekeeper, the disciple of the noble ones
abandons what is unskillful, develops what is skillful,
abandons what is blameworthy, develops what is blameless,
and looks after himself with purity.” — AN 7:63

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/aut ... ulness.pdf
With metta,

Aloka :anjali:

Mangaka

Post by Mangaka »

Aloka, thank you for sharing this sutta.

If I understand correctly, memories and thinking about past deeds (bad ones - both intentional and non-intentional even if one does not remember exactly) in accordance of understanding and developing oneself, then it is alright, without bad kamma.

Thank you :anjali:
sunnat

Post by sunnat »

Memories are anicca and not self.

The mind objects, like memories or any other feeling or sensation, are phenomena to be treated in the same way : by training to have continuous non judgemental awareness of whatever phenomena has arisen in the present moment, moment to moment.

Chachakka Sutta :

"Bhikkhus, dependent on the mind and mind-objects, mind-consciousness arises; the meeting of the three is mind-contact; with mind-contact as condition there arises [a mind-feeling] felt as pleasant or painful or neither-painful-nor-pleasant. When one is touched by a pleasant mind-feeling, if one does not delight in it, welcome it, and remain holding to it, then the underlying tendency to lust does not lie within one. When one is touched by a painful mind-feeling, if one does not sorrow, grieve and lament, does not weep beating one’s breast and become distraught, then the underlying tendency to aversion does not lie within one. When one is touched by a neither-painful-nor-pleasant mind-feeling, if one understands as it actually is the origination, the disappearance, the gratification, the danger, and the escape in regard to that mind-feeling, then the underlying tendency to ignorance does not lie within one. Bhikkhus, that one shall here and now make an end of suffering by abandoning the underlying tendency to lust for pleasant mind-feeling, by abolishing the underlying tendency to aversion for painful mind-feeling, by extirpating the underlying tendency to ignorance in regard to neither-painful-nor-pleasant mind-feeling, by abandoning ignorance and arousing true knowledge - this is possible."

Attempts to control memories is I-making. Recognising that a memory is not-self dismantles the tendency to I-make.
Mangaka

Post by Mangaka »

Thank you very much. :anjali:
From all answer I understand that thoughts should be guarded well.

Now correct me please if I understand incorrectly:
After reading some text for example, mind will create some thoughts and imagines (good or bad). If I will then think about them, try to remember and to understand what happened, even if one will then create some new thoughts, this time intentionally but without ill will, hatred etc. Just watching them and try to understand them, then it is alright without bad kamma because there is no intention to actually act them out.

Thank you again.
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

Mangaka wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:12 pm Hi everyone, what do you think about taking lessons from past actions (through memories)?
The Buddha instructed this, as follows:
Having done an... action, you should reflect on it: 'This action I have done — did it lead to self-affliction, to the affliction of others, or to both? Was it an unskillful ... action, with painful consequences, painful results?' If, on reflection, you know that it led to self-affliction, to the affliction of others, or to both; it was an unskillful ... action with painful consequences, painful results, then you should feel distressed, ashamed & disgusted with it. Feeling distressed, ashamed & disgusted with it, you should exercise restraint in the future. But if on reflection you know that it did not lead to affliction... it was a skillful mental action with pleasant consequences, pleasant results, then you should stay mentally refreshed & joyful, training day & night in skillful mental qualities.

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
:candle:
Mangaka wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:12 pmIs this remembering wrong deeds without bad intention (both exactly or inaccurately memories) safe or we risk creating some additional bad kamma?
If our intention is pure, there will not be bad kamma if the mind is also wise. Keep in mind, ultimately, the "doer" of those unskillful past actions was not "yourself" but was the element of ignorance.
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Mangaka wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:47 am Thank you very much. :anjali:
From all answer I understand that thoughts should be guarded well.

Now correct me please if I understand incorrectly:
After reading some text for example, mind will create some thoughts and imagines (good or bad). If I will then think about them, try to remember and to understand what happened, even if one will then create some new thoughts, this time intentionally but without ill will, hatred etc. Just watching them and try to understand them, then it is alright without bad kamma because there is no intention to actually act them out.

Thank you again.
Yes, I think that's an accurate and helpful way to think of it. Memories are just mental phenomena which our mind creates. They are to some extent under our control (as when we consciously try to recall something that happened in the past) but often they just occur without us wanting them to arise. The problem then is what to do with them. It is not helpful to generate remorse or blame around them - that's just papañca which can lead us into difficulties like obsessions. So we ought to develop wholesome helpful attitudes around them. Realising that we have done wrong and resolving not to repeat it is helpful, for example. So is thinking about the good actions and realising that we do have the capacity for further goodness. And, as you say, one can just watch them dispassionately. That's helpful because it stops us getting caught up in unwholesome activities like remorse; and also helps develop a sense of detachment. "My memories are not me".
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Mangaka wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:12 pm Hi everyone, what do you think about taking lessons from past actions (through memories)? It is alright if one remembers past deeds (may think about them to understand what happened and how to be aware of faults from now)?
The Buddha remembered the Jhana.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”