Why modern Sutta practice doesn't lead to Samadhi?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Eko Care

Re: Why modern Sutta practice doesn't lead to Samadhi?

Post by Eko Care »

robertk wrote:
My personal opinion is that you can't gain Panna by reading Abhidhamma
Reading Abhidhamma may be with kusala or akusala cittas - many conditions will denote which it is.

Yet I believe studying the Abhidhamma can be a condition to grow confidence in the Dhamma- and even to see how the Abhidhamma is happening at every moment of life. It shows what is mentality and what is materiality. Hard to find the right terms to properly praise it I think.
The bhikkhu, who is well practised in the Vinaya, arrives, by fulfilling the precepts, at the three kinds of knowledge,which are fully treated of therein.
The bhikkhu, who is well versed in the Suttas, arrives, by his attainment of concentration, at the six branches of super-knowledge, which are fully treated of therein
The bhikkhu, who is well cultivated in the Abhidhamma, arrives, by his attainment of understanding, at the four analyses, which are fully treated of therein.
(Atthasalini)
It is likely that a European reader, reading through the English translation now offered to the public, will not be favourable un his judgment. The plan of the work itself is enough to prejudice him, while a good knowledge of the cardinal doctrines of the Buddha and Buddhist philosophy is necessary, if Buddhaghosa is to be appreciated. And that is impossible for him unless he is eminently sympathetic towards Buddhist thought.

In the present work it is not the aim of Buddhaghosa to expound any particular doctrine ; he is only concerned with' explaining the meanings of terms that occur in the Dhammasanganl. In doing this he has freely scattered the gems of his thought at every opportunity, and has thus enhanced the value of the work.

("The Expositor (atthasalini) Vol.1" PTS )