Are any of the ancient texts ever at odds with each other?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
mikenz66

Re: Are any of the ancient texts ever at odds with each other?

Post by mikenz66 »

Eko Care wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:37 pm Was Bhikkhu Bodhi writing this with the assumption of "Abhidhamma didn't exist at that time for sure" ?
He is careful to speak of suttas, as you can see. Of course, noone can know for sure the state of the Tipitaka at the time of the passing of the Buddha, sutta, vinaya, or abhidhamma.
Eko Care wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:37 pm Is there any evidence or reason to assume that "neither teacher nor student aimed at conceptual completeness, because it was an oral culture"?
The question I would like to ask is whether there is any evidence that all students should aim for conceptual completeness. Is that the most efficient route to awakening?

:heart:
Mike
Eko Care

Post by Eko Care »

mikenz66 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:25 pm The question I would like to ask is whether there is any evidence that all students should aim for conceptual completeness.
May be, if he has time. :smile:
Yassa ima dve panna atthi, sutamayi cintamayi ca, ayam ugghatitahnnu .
Yassa sutamayi panna atthi cintamayi n'atthi, ayam vipancitannuu.
Yassa n'eva sutamayi panna atthi na cintamayi, ayam neyyo.

Tattha Bhagava akkharehi ca padehi ca ugghateti,
byanjanehi ca akarehi ca vipancayati,
niruttlhi ca niddesehi ca vitthareti.

Tattha ugghatana adi,
vipahcana majjhe,
vittharana pariyosanam.

So 'yam dhammavinayo ugghatiyanto ugghatitannu puggalam vineti, tena nam ahu: adi kalyano ti,
vipaiiciyanto vipancitahiiupuggalam vineti, tena nam ahu: majjhe kalyano ti,
vitthariyanto neyyapuggalam vineti, tena nam ahu: pariyosana kalyano ti.

NETTI-PAKARANA
pitithefool

Post by pitithefool »

mikenz66 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:25 pm
Eko Care wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:37 pm Was Bhikkhu Bodhi writing this with the assumption of "Abhidhamma didn't exist at that time for sure" ?
He is careful to speak of suttas, as you can see. Of course, noone can know for sure the state of the Tipitaka at the time of the passing of the Buddha, sutta, vinaya, or abhidhamma.
Eko Care wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:37 pm Is there any evidence or reason to assume that "neither teacher nor student aimed at conceptual completeness, because it was an oral culture"?
The question I would like to ask is whether there is any evidence that all students should aim for conceptual completeness. Is that the most efficient route to awakening?

:heart:
Mike
I know this question wasn't aimed at me, but I think there is a sort of base-level conceptual completeness that has to be there but not really to the extent of encyclopedic knowledge. I think that can get too deep into minutia. And if we have that view, then the views in the commentaries diverging from one another aren't life-threatening or really all that important. As long as the commonality between them leads to a good practical application, which I believe it does, then it's essentially correct. I think that's what the ancient sangha probably had but it would slightly change over time in those minutia.
Please note: This profile picture is not actually a picture of the user.