Wishes, mettā and other recitations

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Mangaka

Wishes, mettā and other recitations

Post by Mangaka »

Hi everyone, I hope you are all well.

I would like to ask how the Buddha defined wishes (if he actually did at all)? Is there any sutta about this topic?
What I actually mean is for example when some person (A) wish something to person (B). Let say it's something bad and unskillful (from the past times, when there was much of ignorance and unskillfulness of person (A), like hatred, ignorance, greed etc...) So there was some bad wish toward to person (B).
What does it mean to these two persons? Will there be some consequences and influences for person (B)?
Or only for the first person in results of some bad kamma for example?
I hope my unskillful deeds from the past will not affect anyone... I ask because we are sending (if I understand correctly) love and goodness to others during mettā and some other recitations and I'm not sure how it all works. Ratana sutta is another good example, which in a good way affected the city.

Thank you very much for any help and have a nice day.
Eko Care

Re: Wishes, mettā and other recitations

Post by Eko Care »

If (A) wishes any good/bad towards (B), then I think,
  • Immediate effect/result can bee seen in (A) at the very instant. (along with kamma accumulation for an future effect)
  • Effect on person (B) is indirect, I think. (eg: (B) feels it, Others feel it, friendliness or enmity between the two affects all their mutual interactions ..etc)
Mangaka

Re: Wishes, mettā and other recitations

Post by Mangaka »

Thank you for your answer.
I realized Mettā and Karaniyametta sutta are so helpful when one needs to feel goodness, peaceful thoughts etc.
It also helped me personally in times of fear so I recommend to each who is looking for some support.