Why do we have unique fingerprints?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Is this evidence to support Kamma Vipaka?
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Re: Why do we have unique fingerprints?

Post by Sam Vara »

SarathW wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:42 am Why do we have unique fingerprints?
Only if it leads to you being caught for a crime! :tongue:

I suppose one reading on SN 35.145, the Kammasutta, is that the body we have in the present moment is the way it is because of old kamma.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Kamma is non-scientific as it can’t be falsified.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
chownah

Post by chownah »

From wikipedia:
Fingerprints are impressions left on surfaces by the friction ridges on the finger of a human.[1] The matching of two fingerprints is among the most widely used and most reliable biometric techniques. Fingerprint matching considers only the obvious features of a fingerprint.[2]

A friction ridge is a raised portion of the epidermis on the digits (fingers and toes), the palm of the hand or the sole of the foot, consisting of one or more connected ridge units of friction ridge skin.[citation needed] These are sometimes known as "epidermal ridges" which are caused by the underlying interface between the dermal papillae of the dermis and the interpapillary (rete) pegs of the epidermis. These epidermal ridges serve to amplify vibrations triggered, for example, when fingertips brush across an uneven surface, better transmitting the signals to sensory nerves involved in fine texture perception.[3] These ridges may also assist in gripping rough surfaces and may improve surface contact in wet conditions.[4]
chownah
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Actually, now I think even we as individuals also unique.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

Noble Eightfold Path ends kamma. Buddhas and Arahants must have no fingerprints.
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

I heard a Christian minister say that all fingerprints are unique and that this "proves" that we have a soul created by God. So I looked it up and actually there is a possibility that at least one other person (or primate) has the same fingerprints as you do. And it makes sense, after all, the finger is a finite area, it is not an infinite amount of space, so eventually there would have to be another person with the same pattern.

Some higher primates, great apes, also have fingerprints.

https://www.popmatters.com/160245-front ... 39394.html
form

Post by form »

Why do u think the Buddha can tune in to individual mental frequency to telepathy another? It is like your handphone number ok?
chownah

Post by chownah »

DNS wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:32 am
I heard a Christian minister say that all fingerprints are unique and that this "proves" that we have a soul created by God. So I looked it up and actually there is a possibility that at least one other person (or primate) has the same fingerprints as you do. And it makes sense, after all, the finger is a finite area, it is not an infinite amount of space, so eventually there would have to be another person with the same pattern.

Some higher primates, great apes, also have fingerprints.

https://www.popmatters.com/160245-front ... 39394.html
Three interesting conjectures. I won't comment on the minister's conjecture. I guage the possibility of there being duplicates as being probably true....however in fact just because we judge that there is a possibility of something happening does not mean that in fact it actually does happen.

The conjecture about it being inevitable that there are matches because of the finite area of the fingerprint should be studied carefully to understand it better. It is not necessary to have an infinite area to have an infinite number of patterns in that area (mathematically speaking). One thing to watch is how one conceives of the number of people one expects there will be. One could conceive of an infinite number of people...or one could conceive that the number of people is finite. Another thing to watch is the number of different fingerprint patterns which are possible (this depends on how minutely one can observe the pattern). If the number of patterns is more than the number of people then it might not be that eventually there would be a repeat of a pattern.

Of course, all of this discussion is just a fabricated narrative......if there is a repeat of a pattern then it exists regardless of our current narrative....and....if there is no repeat of a pattern then it does not exist regardless of our current narrative.
chownah
chownah

Post by chownah »

SarathW wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:13 pm Actually, now I think even we as individuals also unique.
When I was born the hospital put my foot print (in ink) on a document (maybe it was my original birth certificate) to use as positive identification.
chownah
asahi

Post by asahi »

I think Buddha was narrated as having ten spiral shell finger prints which means perfection of paramis .
No bashing No gossiping
mjaviem

Post by mjaviem »

SarathW wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:13 pm Actually, now I think even we as individuals also unique.
Probably true. Our individual DNA sequence probably won't be found on any one else. What are you trying to see demonstrated? Kamma-vipāka? I think our DNA sequence is the result of combining the DNA sequences of our parents.
Namo Tassa Bhagavato Arahato Sammā Sambuddhassa
justindesilva

Post by justindesilva »

mjaviem wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:13 pm
Probably true. Our individual DNA sequence probably won't be found on any one else. What are you trying to see demonstrated? Kamma-vipāka? I think our DNA sequence is the result of combining the DNA sequences of our parents.
It is strange that astrologers in India using predictions with Nandivakyam first read the thumb impression and relate it to an ola leaf, while their future ppredictions are said to be very accurate. They often refer occurings as sickness due to kamma vipakas. These predictions are said to have been scripted many 1000s years ago by various rishis. The key to these ola leaves are made with the thumb impression .
Though astrology seems not in order with budda damma, nandi vakyam seems to be realistically correct.
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

I think the process that forms fingerprints has to partly pattern-less.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.