Why should we seek Nibbana/Nirwana/Enlightenment?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Rahula

Re: Why should we seek Nibbana/Nirwana/Enlightenment?

Post by Rahula »

whynotme wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:16 am Even to practice jhana, the undesire state you must have a desire I will do this, sit down, crossed legs etc... That's desire.

Desire is one of four bases of iddhipada, to get samadhi. The problem is you get wrong desire rather than desire itself.
Your understanding seems different to my understanding, but there is no point arguing or trying to be correct, isn't it?
Maybe I'm wrong.
May you be happy, healthy & successful in everything you do! :anjali:
Rahula

Post by Rahula »

I would like to elaborate on my understanding.

The foundation of Buddhism is Four Noble Truths, Dukka, Samudaya, Nirodha & path to NIbbana.

When understanding Dukka, one can look at what we can see in our present life as Dukka.
But is it enough? If you are wealthy and have a luxurious life your problems are limited. Of cause, people can point out that wealthy people have more issues and their mind is not at a peace. But compared to those African children dying without food and water, wealthy people have less suffering, Dukka. (at least that is my understanding).

Consider this scenario; if someone is satisfied with what they have, live a peaceful life without worrying about worldly things too much, if they are happy with the simple life they have, one can think that they don't have to look for enlightenment.

For example, a yogi in India, who meditates and manage a peaceful life might think he doesn't need the Nibbana as described by Buddha.

But that is only because he doesn't look beyond this lifetime. He might have a peaceful life in this lifetime, but he might not in his next life. That is the danger of Samsara. So, if your view is limited to this lifetime, for whatever reason, you might be in the same danger.

But if you look at Dukka (suffering) throughout Samsara, you will understand the necessity of Nibbana. Then we all can understand the importance of dedicating our life towards attaining Nibbana, as it is the most important thing in our lives. That's the reason why Buddha got Rahula, Nanda & all others to follow the same path. If you miss this opportunity, we don't know when we will get the next opportunity.

So, only looking at what we see as Dukka in this lifetime enough for understanding Dukka?
or are you missing out as you don't like to believe in rebirth or things beyond this life?
mjaviem

Post by mjaviem »

A peaceful yogi is going to get old and sick and/or die. As he hasn't reached enlightenment he's not fully at ease, he still cares for his life and any afflictions that can come. Results of kamma can still manifest. He's not truly free in the present moment. The same for the rich. You don't need to have an expanded view to a future life to understand you are not free. So, should you seek Nibbana? It's up to you. I don't see an absolute reason. This is how I see it for now
Namo Tassa Bhagavato Arahato Sammā Sambuddhassa
Rahula

Post by Rahula »

mjaviem wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:07 am A peaceful yogi is going to get old and sick and/or die. As he hasn't reached enlightenment he's not fully at ease, he still cares for his life and any afflictions that can come. Results of kamma can still manifest. He's not truly free in the present moment. The same for the rich. You don't need to have an expanded view to a future life to understand you are not free. So, should you seek Nibbana? It's up to you. I don't see an absolute reason. This is how I see it for now
I met a Buddhist practitioner who said "You don't have to attain Nibbana if you can control yourself at The Eight Worldly Concerns". (gain and fear of loss, pleasure and fear of pain, good reputation and fear of bad reputation, praise and fear of blame).

It means if he thinks he can control himself, he will not seek Nibbana.
He is also a non-believer of Dukka as Samsara dukka. That is the danger of it (as far as I can understand).
mjaviem

Post by mjaviem »

Rahula wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:54 pm
mjaviem wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:07 am A peaceful yogi is going to get old and sick and/or die. As he hasn't reached enlightenment he's not fully at ease, he still cares for his life and any afflictions that can come. Results of kamma can still manifest. He's not truly free in the present moment. The same for the rich. You don't need to have an expanded view to a future life to understand you are not free. So, should you seek Nibbana? It's up to you. I don't see an absolute reason. This is how I see it for now
I met a Buddhist practitioner who said "You don't have to attain Nibbana if you can control yourself at The Eight Worldly Concerns". (gain and fear of loss, pleasure and fear of pain, good reputation and fear of bad reputation, praise and fear of blame).

It means if he thinks he can control himself, he will not seek Nibbana.
He is also a non-believer of Dukka as Samsara dukka. That is the danger of it (as far as I can understand).
Ok, he has wrong view and he has no reason to seek Nibbana. Are you telling me that there is only one reason, the reason, to seek Nibbana and that it comes with right view? Well, I don't know, I thought the reason was something conventional not to be found in nature like the convention of a self.
Namo Tassa Bhagavato Arahato Sammā Sambuddhassa