Did Buddha say "All worldlings are mad'?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
SarathW

Re: Did Buddha say "All worldlings are mad'?

Post by SarathW »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:45 pm
Inedible wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:38 pmIt will take a lot of years for toilet paper to be replaced with a better system. By then I hope to have a much better job. This isn't what I went to college for.
It is called a bidet. My parents had one, but I wondered if it was for washing my feet. :?
I think it will take a while to catch on everywhere that it needs to.

When I lived in Burma and Thailand, we had no toilet paper, and we used squat toilets. One uses soap and water to wash the bits that one cannot see, and does not wish to see. A squat toilet is better for a healthy bowel movement, and washing does a better job. Not using toilet paper would be a big benefit for the environment.
I think that Japanese toilets will be the answer.
The Bidet is not practical and taking too much space.
I wonder why this is not come to the radar of environmentalists.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
justindesilva

Post by justindesilva »

SarathW wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:25 am
Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:45 pm
Inedible wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:38 pmIt will take a lot of years for toilet paper to be replaced with a better system. By then I hope to have a much better job. This isn't what I went to college for.
It is called a bidet. My parents had one, but I wondered if it was for washing my feet. :?
I think it will take a while to catch on everywhere that it needs to.

When I lived in Burma and Thailand, we had no toilet paper, and we used squat toilets. One uses soap and water to wash the bits that one cannot see, and does not wish to see. A squat toilet is better for a healthy bowel movement, and washing does a better job. Not using toilet paper would be a big benefit for the environment.
I think that Japanese toilets will be the answer.
The Bidet is not practical and taking too much space.
I wonder why this is not come to the radar of environmentalists.
Still in Asean countries people do not use toilet paper. Long ago around 1940s too in asean countries it was a habbit to take a bucket of water to the toilet for cleaning instead of paper. Unlike now water was freely available. It is a matter of hygiene to use water even now.
If lord Buddha used the term ummattaka for lay people it could be a simile. A lokottara aryan may see a worldly ( laukika) being as a lunatic with micca sankappa. Hence this term ummattaka could be relative.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Agree.
So called fashions could be seen as mad.
When I was young bell bottom trousers seems mad.
But one day we noticed that our boss also wearing one.
Then it became normal!
:rofl:
When all are mad then all are normal.
Last edited by SarathW on Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
form

Post by form »

Whatever the Buddha taught cannot be made into a sweeping statement.
sunnat

Post by sunnat »

Feelings or sensations are routinely ignored by dressing them up with various delusions, ideas, opinions, imges, imagination, fantasies. Those thoughts are then judged according to likes and dislikes and further actions are made. This is madness, only dispelled by abandoning judgements and equanimously observing the rise and fall of all phenomena in the present moment, moment to moment. This is often not done and so people are mad to not do so and mad when not doing so. A practitioner will quickly realise their own insanity as when having a concentrated and calmed mind and becomes aware of the wild monkey mind they carry.
Inedible

Post by Inedible »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:45 pm Not using toilet paper would be a big benefit for the environment.
Sometimes people manage to contaminate all four rolls in the dispenser at the same time. And not only with urine. Big industrial rolls with no cardboard core in the center.

Getting people to change is really difficult. Even when it should be obvious.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Inedible wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:01 am
Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:45 pm Not using toilet paper would be a big benefit for the environment.
Sometimes people manage to contaminate all four rolls in the dispenser at the same time. And not only with urine. Big industrial rolls with no cardboard core in the center.

Do you remember what people most worried queuing and fighting in super markets when the COVID lock-down announced?
If the government ban toilet papers, people will be demonstrate in the street and in US people will use guns to protest it.
justindesilva

Post by justindesilva »

SarathW wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:26 am
Inedible wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:01 am

Do you remember what people most worried queuing and fighting in super markets when the COVID lock-down announced?
If the government ban toilet papers, people will be demonstrate in the street and in US people will use guns to protest it.
The story named "murugasan varsha" is a story which is a prediction by a wise man. He predicts that wiithin a few days there will be a stormy rain which if one exposes will get insane. Yet the king and all without listening gets exposed and wet. The wise man is careful not to get exposed while he sees the king and the rest after exposure dancing with insanity. The wise man who is sane later decides to get exposed to the rain and joins the rest with insanity to be in common. So are we.
sphairos

Post by sphairos »

cappuccino wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:32 pm
Dhammanando wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:24 pm moral sense in some but not in others.
1 percent of the population meets the criteria for psychopathy
no, much more, 1% it's only schizophrenics.

More than 50% of Americans have some kind of depression, anxiety disorder or something else. And it's like that in every country.
How good and wonderful are your days,
How true are your ways?
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

sphairos wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:00 pm
people know right & wrong
befriend

Post by befriend »

Madness or psychosis is actually less insane than someone who sees phenomena as permanent ultamitely satisfying and belonging to an intrinsic self. I have psychosis but am able to see impermanenence Dukkha and Anatta. I'd rather be an insane Buddhist than a sane non Buddhist.
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.