Collecting all references about Samsara Dukkha

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Rahula

Collecting all references about Samsara Dukkha

Post by Rahula »

I'm trying to collect all references about Samsara Dukkha.
Following are what I found so far, please help me to make this collection.
Thank you!

Anamatagga-samyutta — The unimaginable beginnings of samsara
SN 15.13: Timsa Sutta
"From an inconceivable beginning comes transmigration. A beginning point is not evident, though beings hindered by ignorance and fettered by craving are transmigrating & wandering on. What do you think, monks? Which is greater, the blood you have shed from having your heads cut off while transmigrating & wandering this long, long time, or the water in the four great oceans?"
SN 15.3: Assu Sutta — Tears
"Long have you (repeatedly) experienced the death of a mother. The tears you have shed over the death of a mother while transmigrating & wandering this long, long time — crying & weeping from being joined with what is displeasing, being separated from what is pleasing — are greater than the water in the four great oceans.

"Long have you (repeatedly) experienced the death of a father... the death of a brother... the death of a sister... the death of a son... the death of a daughter... loss with regard to relatives... loss with regard to wealth... loss with regard to disease. The tears you have shed over loss with regard to disease while transmigrating & wandering this long, long time — crying & weeping from being joined with what is displeasing, being separated from what is pleasing — are greater than the water in the four great oceans.
SN 15.4 Khīra Sutta: Mother's Milk
which is more: the mother's milk that you have drunk as you roamed and wandered on through this long course-this or the water in the four great oceans?"
SN 15.11: Duggata Sutta
"When you see someone who has fallen on hard times, overwhelmed with hard times, you should conclude: 'We, too, have experienced just this sort of thing in the course of that long, long time."
SN 15.12: Sukhita Sutta
When you see someone who is happy & well-provided in life, you should conclude: 'We, too, have experienced just this sort of thing in the course of that long, long time."
SN 15.10 Puggala Sutta: Stack of bones
One person, roaming and wandering on hindered by ignorance and fettered by craving, would leave behind a stack of bones, a heap of bones, a pile of bones as large as this Mount Vepulla, if there were someone to collect them and what is collected would not perish."
SN 15.14-19: Mata Sutta
A being who has not been your mother at one time in the past is not easy to find... A being who has not been your father... your brother... your sister... your son... your daughter at one time in the past is not easy to find.
Dhammapada
Santati the King's Minister:
"On the numberless occasions, when this woman has died in this very manner,
and you have wept over her, you have shed tears more abundant than,
all the water contained in the Four Great Oceans.
The Weaver's Daughter
"Grieve not, disciple, for in the round of existences without conceivable beginning, you have even thus, over the death of your daughter, shed tears more abundant than the water contained in the four great oceans."
May you be happy, healthy & successful in everything you do! :anjali:
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Collecting all references about Samsara Dukkha

Post by DNS »

"Monks, suppose that this great earth were totally covered with water, and a man were to toss a yoke with a single hole there. A wind from the east would push it west, a wind from the west would push it east. A wind from the north would push it south, a wind from the south would push it north. And suppose a blind sea-turtle were there. It would come to the surface once every one hundred years. Now what do you think: would that blind sea-turtle, coming to the surface once every one hundred years, stick his neck into the yoke with a single hole?"

"It would be a sheer coincidence, lord, that the blind sea-turtle, coming to the surface once every one hundred years, would stick his neck into the yoke with a single hole."

"It's likewise a sheer coincidence that one obtains the human state. "
Samyutta Nikaya 56.48
"He recalls to mind his various temporary states in days gone by; one birth, or two or three or four or five births, 10 or 20, 30 or 50, a 100 or a 1,000 or a 100,000 births, through many cycles of cosmic contraction and cosmic expansion . . .

. . . he recollects his numerous past lives: that is, (he recollects) one birth, two, three, four, or five births; ten, twenty, thirty, forty, or fifty births; a hundred, a thousand, or a hundred thousand births; many hundreds of births, many thousands of births, many hundreds of thousands of births. (He recalls:) 'Then I had such a name, belonged to such a clan, had such an appearance; such was my food, such my experience of pleasure and pain, such my span of life. Passing away thence, I re-arose there. There too I had such a name, belonged to such a clan, had such an appearance; such was my food, such my experience of pleasure and pain, such my span of life. Passing away thence, I re-arose here.' Thus he recollects his numerous past lives in their modes and their details."
Digha Nikaya 1
Rahula

Post by Rahula »

DNS wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 7:17 pm
Thank you!
sunnat

Post by sunnat »

'With the experience of total liberation the following words of joy (udana) came forth:

“Anekajatisamsaram sandhavissam anibbisam, gahakarakam gavesanto dukkha jati punappunam. Gahakaraka dittho’si puna geham na kahasi,sabba te phasuka bhagga gahakutam visankhitam,visankharagatam cittam tanhanam khayamajjhaga”.

-Through countless births I wandered in samsara, seeking, but not finding, the builder of the house. I have been taking birth in misery again and again. O builder of the house you are now seen! You cannot build the house again. All the rafters and the central pole are shattered. The mind is free from all the sankhara. The craving-free stage is achieved.'

- https://www.vridhamma.org/Gotama-the-Buddha
pegembara

Post by pegembara »

"Bhikkhus, all is burning. And what is the all that is burning?

"The eye is burning, forms are burning, eye-consciousness is burning, eye-contact is burning, also whatever is felt as pleasant or painful or neither-painful-nor-pleasant that arises with eye-contact for its indispensable condition, that too is burning. Burning with what? Burning with the fire of lust, with the fire of hate, with the fire of delusion. I say it is burning with birth, aging and death, with sorrows, with lamentations, with pains, with griefs, with despairs.

"The ear is burning, sounds are burning...

"The nose is burning, odors are burning...

"The tongue is burning, flavors are burning...

"The body is burning, tangibles are burning...

"The mind is burning, ideas are burning, mind-consciousness is burning, mind-contact is burning, also whatever is felt as pleasant or painful or neither-painful-nor-pleasant that arises with mind-contact for its indispensable condition, that too is burning. Burning with what? Burning with the fire of lust, with the fire of hate, with the fire of delusion. I say it is burning with birth, aging and death, with sorrows, with lamentations, with pains, with griefs, with despairs.

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .nymo.html
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.
Rahula

Re:

Post by Rahula »

sunnat wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 12:17 am
Thank you!
Rahula

Post by Rahula »

pegembara wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 2:08 am
Thank you :anjali: