Where do you sit to do meditation?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
JC938

Post by JC938 »

Hi,

Is using bed room ok to do sitting meditation?

I prefer sitting on grass in the open along with trees and nature but i live in bangkok. And the nearest place i can think of is puttamonthon but its currently closed due to covid.

Thanks for the answers.
anagaarika

Re: Where do you sit to do meditation?

Post by anagaarika »

Any place that is quite and comfy should do. I see no problem with bedroom - I meditate on a cushion on my bed (sitting posture).
skandha

Post by skandha »

I prefer to meditate in my bedroom than in nature and under the trees.

My bedroom is pretty quiet compared to that in nature; no worries about insects, strong wind, heat from the sun; ground is flat. I have got no need for inspiring sights of nature as I will be closing my eyes, and the training is not about delighting in sights or that of any of the senses anyway.
A true master of knowledge has passed beyond all that is known and become dispassionate towards all vedanās.
- Sn 529
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

only on bed ... no floor.. but not in sit posture and not every month
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
justindesilva

Post by justindesilva »

confusedlayman wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:24 pm only on bed ... no floor.. but not in sit posture and not every month
I meditate in any posture except anapanasati meditarion. It is called Iriyapatha. We have 4 postures we use all the time. Standing, sitting, walking or sleeping. We can use yoniso manasikara to assess our immediate attention and use it for cittadamma analysis.
Again we can use vipassana to analyse our eating etc. Walking is for walking meditation made at any time. If we sit at a station or a beach we can have attention (sati) on various sounds. When I go to sleep I make my attention on sounds on grass hoppers and divert it to a maitri bhavana. Summarily bhavana is isolating ones mind on a single object , wherever and which posture one is in.
Ananda thero is said to have attained arhant status in between sitting and sleeping postures.