suttas where mind and body (31 body parts of meditator) dichotomy is incontrovertible, exposing Abhidhamma incoherence (

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Pondera

Re: suttas where mind and body (31 body parts of meditator) dichotomy is incontrovertible, exposing Abhidhamma incoheren

Post by Pondera »

mikenz66 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 2:45 am
Pondera wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 12:37 am
pegembara wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 12:27 am
Indeed. But the crux is: does this occur during Jhana or after emerging from it?
“Mendicants, develop immersion.
“samādhiṁ, bhikkhave, bhāvetha;
A mendicant who has immersion truly understands.
samāhito, bhikkhave, bhikkhu yathābhūtaṁ pajānāti.
https://suttacentral.net/sn22.5/en/sujato
My grasp of Pali syntax is not strong, but according to the Pali lookup on Sutta Central, samāhito is the past participle form. Whether it means "was in samādhi" or "entered samādhi in the past and is still in it" seems to be the crux of the matter.

:heart:
Mike
I suppose the discussion is settled. What becomes of heavy jhana views, in such a case?

What is their rebuttal? Further denial? Alternate explanations?

It seems piti and sukha are too intense. :shrug:
Like the three marks of conditioned existence, this world in itself is filthy, hostile, and crowded
waryoffolly

Re: suttas where mind and body (31 body parts of meditator) dichotomy is incontrovertible, exposing Abhidhamma incoheren

Post by waryoffolly »

mikenz66 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 4:25 am
waryoffolly wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 3:46 am Yes I agree that samatha and vipassana are needed. However, I interpret both samatha and vipassana as present in jhana. The sati-sampajano in the third jhana formula, and the upekkha-sati-parisuddhim in the fourth seem to be clearly stating this to me. I think it’s odd to interpret either of those phrases as pure samatha, to me they instead suggest the purification and perfection of vipassana! Although I’m open to evidence to the contrary on this.
It appears to be possible for vipassana and samatha to be arise in any order:
One person has internal serenity of heart, but not the higher wisdom of discernment of principles.
Idha, bhikkhave, ekacco puggalo lābhī hoti ajjhattaṁ cetosamathassa, na lābhī adhipaññādhammavipassanāya.

One person has the higher wisdom of discernment of principles, but not internal serenity of heart.
Idha pana, bhikkhave, ekacco puggalo lābhī hoti adhipaññādhammavipassanāya, na lābhī ajjhattaṁ cetosamathassa.
https://suttacentral.net/an4.94/en/sujato
:heart:
Mike
Also agreed. I think they are brought to balance together in 4th jhana, where regardless of the order developed they both exist and are present there. The endpoint of development requires both of them, but the development itself can take any order. In my current view 4th jhana is that developmental endpoint where both are present.
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

Ratnakar wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 1:54 am So one does observing a&p of 5 aggregates in access, doesn't one?
Certainly & very clearly. However, this remains not sufficient to uproot the underlying tendencies to defilement. Regards
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

waryoffolly wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 12:49 am
And another interesting question: If you believe insight occurs after jhana, then why not just develop samadhi to the same level as post-jhana samadhi and use that for insight practice?

If you believe insight occurs outside of jhana then you must also either believe: 1. You can develop samadhi of the same strength as post-jhana samadhi and therefore jhana is irrelevant for insight or 2. You cannot develop samadhi of the same strength as post-jhana samadhi without first entering jhana.

If you believe 1, then the Buddha repeatedly taught an unneeded level of samadhi and even defined this unneeded level of samadhi as the samadhi bala (and I think indriya as well).

2 also seems like quite a strange thing to believe! It’s basically saying that you have to “overreach” your samadhi in order to attain sufficient concentration for insight. Ie to reach a insight productive samadhi at, to be crude, say 7/10 you first must develop a higher level samadhi at a 9/10 and exit it. Why couldn’t you just develop samadhi straight to the level of 7/10 needed for insight without having to go to 9/10 first?
Part of liberation is in seeing the conditionality of the Jhāna, their gratification, drawback and escape:

“Mendicants, there are these five faculties. What five? The faculties of faith, energy, mindfulness, immersion, and wisdom. A mendicant comes to be freed by not grasping after truly understanding these five faculties’ origin, ending, gratification, drawback, and escape. Such a mendicant is called a perfected one, with defilements ended, who has completed the spiritual journey, done what had to be done, laid down the burden, achieved their own true goal, utterly ended the fetters of rebirth, and is rightly freed through enlightenment.”

SN 48.6

Naturally this can only be done outside of Jhāna, meaning there is insight outside of Jhāna. Once there has been insight then there is understanding (pañña).
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
Ratnakar

Post by Ratnakar »

DooDoot wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 9:55 am
Ratnakar wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 1:54 am So one does observing a&p of 5 aggregates in access, doesn't one?
Certainly & very clearly. However, this remains not sufficient to uproot the underlying tendencies to defilement. Regards
Do you think access is part of right concentration or not ?
BrokenBones

Post by BrokenBones »

So if I'm understanding hard jhana rightly...

One has to leave behind Right Samadhi (assuming hard jhana is Right)... retrospectively examine the jhana that is no longer in ones awareness (you could argue it never was) and uses the fabricated memory of what has been but is no longer... to gain insight... sounds a bit iffy to me.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

pitithefool wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 4:42 pm
So you're saying that having the thoughts of letting go because of insight into the three marks takes you farther away from concentration?
You do not think "now I will let go". You just let go after insight (which is the result of discursive thought) due to understanding (pañña). In MN 19 there is normal discursive thinking which is beneficial but even this is seen as disturbing and so is given up, abandoned, brought to a halt, is stilled. It is only then that access concentration or Jhāna can occur. There is no normal thinking in Jhāna. No using thinking to aid Jhāna. You have to understand that even good thoughts are preventing the Jhāna from arising. What is left are noble intentions (vitakka-vicāra) of renunciation, non-ill will and harmlessness which are of course the very opposite of the hindrances. Upon leaving the 1st Jhāna there is then reviewing via discursive thought, followed by insight followed by understanding. The noble vitakka-vicāra themselves are seen as being disturbances to the stillness of the mind, and so now there is an understanding that these too should be given up, abandoned, brought to a halt, tranquilised. The 2nd Jhāna now becomes possible with this new understanding.
Also, saying that you aren't controlling the process is equally absurd.

For there to be Jhāna you need to stop trying to control the meditation. You simply become mindful of the breath and allow it to calm your mind and your mind to calm the breath, until there is stillness. If a hindrance arises due to inappropriate attention you attend back to the breath. This is energy, which is sense restraint and is too letting go. You remember (sati) to let go of the hindrance and attend back to that which starves it, namely the breath. As the hindrances subside, rapture appears. None of this involves normal thinking and pondering about it.
Letting go is a fabrication, it's willed. As long as we are willing actions, there is becoming and the taking on of a self, even when that action has the characteristic of realizing non-self.
If this were true nibbāna would be impossible.

“But, bhikkhus, when one does not intend, and one does not plan, and one does not have a tendency towards anything, no basis exists for the maintenance of consciousness. When there is no basis, there is no support for the establishing of consciousness. When consciousness is unestablished and does not come to growth, there is no descent of name-and-form. With the cessation of name-and-form comes cessation of the six sense bases…. Such is the cessation of this whole mass of suffering.”

SN 12.39
Only when the raft has been abandoned at the far shore is Anatta fully realized. Jhana is not free from that process nor is it meant to be and it would be ludicrous to say so.
The underling tendencies do not underlie the spiritual vedanā of Jhāna, so there is no sense of self in Jhāna. This is part of the insight which occurs outside of Jhāna. To see that there was no self, no controller there, and that a sense of self is not a concrete thing but merely a mistaken notion that arises due to conditions.
The path is fabricated.
Yes.
Again, if you were actually reading anything that I said, you would have noticed that under most circumstances it would be better to fabricate an intention in a non-verbal way, however as MN 20 points out (unless that's a fake sutta too), you can and should use verbal fabrications when they are necessary in order to settle the mind.
Addressed above.
Again, are you listening to anything I'm saying or are you just arguing because you enjoy wallowing in disagreement?
I'm listening, but I'm not agreeing. I'm certainly not "wallowing" in the disagreement. It would be better if we all sung from the same hymn sheet, but since the master is gone that is always going to be just an ideal.
Again, MN 20 lays this out perfectly clearly. Whether or not that's occuring in jhana is a rather arbitrary assessment at this point, but again I argue that it is jhana so long as the jhana factors are present.
This is wrong understanding. You can't make the mind halt by thinking it into stillness. There is thinking prior to access concentration and the Jhāna, but these are seen as being burdensome and so are given up. Only then can there be any hope of Jhāna occurring, along with the need of other factors.
Also, how the heck does a sotapanna have right concentration and it isn't the four jhanas? The canon defines right concentration as nothing other than the four jhanas. Nowhere in the canon is there special sotapanna concentration. No if we go be the sutta pitaka's definitions, if it is right concentration, it is jhana. Haven't we gone over this before?
The sotāpanna & sakadāgāmi still have lust for sense objects because they have not experienced the bliss and sukha that lies close to the edge of the world, i.e. Jhāna. Their concentration is looser. An anāgāmī has attained the Jhāna but they have not given up desire for these states and the formless. The Arahant has attained these states, gained insight into them, has then an understanding regarding their conditionality and so has abolished ignorance. AN 3.86 would be worth a read. Only the anāgāmī & Arahant have fulfilled the Higher Mind, i.e. the jhānāni. Not then having fulfilled the Higher Mind, yet having some insight, it follows the sotāpanna & sakadāgāmi have a lower form of Right Concentration. This is access concentration.
Alright I'm gonna say this one more time, It does require vitakka-vicara to set it up, but once in jhana, it's free standing as long as the jhana is maintained. The type of vipassana that happens in the first jhana is something like "sensuality is course, impermanent, an arrow etc, the first jhana is blissful, peaceful, a shelter" when the fabrications leading to that jhana are an act of discernment. We see the drawbacks of the five aggregates (vipassana), see the rewards in jhana (also vipassana), and choose to fabricate the path (panna). For the second jhana, we see the drawbacks of vitakka-vicara (vipassana), the reward of unification (vipassana), and choose to fabricate the path (panna). For the third jhana, we see the drawbacks of piti (vipassana), the rewards of equanimity (vipassana), and choose to fabricate the path(panna). This process continues until there is no further escape and we've abandoned everything we can abandon.
In order to have insight you require paṭisañcikkhati. This would require normal thinking and pondering. If we accept that vitakka-vicāra in the 1st Jhāna means this normal discursive thought (it doesn't) then there can be insight whilst in this Jhāna. From the 2nd Jhāna onwards this thinking and pondering is gone, which means there can be no paṭisañcikkhati which in turn means no insight. You cannot have insight without normal discursive thought:

At Savatthī. “Bhikkhus, before my enlightenment, while I was still a bodhisatta, not yet fully enlightened, it occurred to me: ‘Alas, this world has fallen into trouble, in that it is born, ages, and dies, it passes away and is reborn, yet it does not understand the escape from this suffering headed by aging-and-death. When now will an escape be discerned from this suffering headed by aging-and-death?’

“Then, bhikkhus, it occurred to me: ‘When what exists does aging-and-death come to be? By what is aging-and-death conditioned? ’ Then, bhikkhus, through careful attention, there took place in me a breakthrough by wisdom: ‘When there is birth, aging-and-death comes to be; aging-and-death has birth as its condition.’

This is normal thinking. In an absorbed model this cannot happen since vitakka-vicāra are intentions, not thoughts, and so there is no paṭisañcikkhati. For the Jhāna-lite folk there is no thinking past the 2nd Jhāna, so there is no paṭisañcikkhati and so no insight there. The problem you are having is that the suttas state that insight involves paṭisañcikkhati. How can you have paṭisañcikkhati without normal thinking and pondering? You can't. The Jhāna-lite model thus collapses under the weight of it's own contradictions. If you are a follower of Jhāna-lite you either have to abandon the notion of any thinking or pondering in any Jhāna, in which case insight becomes impossible, or you have to only have it in the 1st Jhāna, which is contradictory for that model since subsequent insight would be outside of the Jhāna despite claims to the contrary.

How on earth can you have insight, which requires paṭisañcikkhati, without normal thinking? Please do not simply refer to sañña, because the sutta clearly states that paṭisañcikkhati is required.
This statement is self contradictory. You say insight isn't necessarily will, but the requisite condition for the second jhana is the absence of skillful resolves. If both of these statements are true, then it does NOT follow that insight is not present in the jhanas hogher than the first.
Insight isn't willed. It is the result of wise reviewing. Once there is insight there is then the condition necessary for understanding, for pañña which is simply jñā. However, I feel you missed the crux of my criticism. It's what I've said above. Insight is the outcome of paṭisañcikkhati. Paṭisañcikkhati requires normal thinking and pondering. If we come down to the level of Jhāna-lite and state that vitakka-vicāra in the 1st Jhāna is thinking and pondering then, on the basis of it's own definitions, insight is impossible from the 2nd Jhāna onwards since thinking and pondering have been given up, so there isn't any chance of there being paṭisañcikkhati. I'm merely pushing the Jhāna-lite model to its ultimate conclusion, using it's own terms. The Jhāna-lite person would then either have to say that vitakka-vicāra in Jhāna simultaneously means intentions and normal thoughts, although there is no evidence for this and it still doesn't save them from having no insight post the 2nd Jhāna, or they have to admit that insight occurs outside of Jhāna from the 2nd Jhāna onwards which would make their whole theory contradictory and convoluted.
We don't need to fabricate vipassana directly, as it's inherent to concentration. Nor do we need to leave the jhana to "see things as they are". The mind is already doing so.
This is wrong understanding. You require paṭisañcikkhati. If liberating insight were inherent to Jhāna then the ascetics of Buddha's time and the practitioners of the Yoga Sūtra of Patañjali would also have liberating insight. Liberating insight requires Right View and paṭisañcikkhati in line with that view, based off what has been just experienced.
One last question, why does it specify in MN 111 that the last two attainments must be emerged from in order to have insight on them, while it does not specify this for the other 7 attainments?
The sutta has the opposite. Insight in MN 111 occurs after all of the attainments, since it is only there that he understood their rise and fall.

I’ll be taking a break from this forum for a while soon, so I’ll only post a few more replies.
Last edited by Ceisiwr on Sat May 08, 2021 1:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

BrokenBones wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:17 am So if I'm understanding hard jhana rightly...

One has to leave behind Right Samadhi (assuming hard jhana is Right)... retrospectively examine the jhana that is no longer in ones awareness (you could argue it never was) and uses the fabricated memory of what has been but is no longer... to gain insight... sounds a bit iffy to me.
When gaining insight into paṭiccasamuppāda there are links in there which are not directly experienced, yet there is insight and understanding. You don't need to be directly experiencing something to gain insight and understanding. However, there does need to be an experience.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Pondera wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:14 pm
Could it be, sir, that a mendicant might gain a state of immersion like this? They wouldn’t perceive earth in earth, water in water, fire in fire, or air in air. And they wouldn’t perceive the dimension of infinite space in the dimension of infinite space, the dimension of infinite consciousness in the dimension of infinite consciousness, the dimension of nothingness in the dimension of nothingness, or the dimension of neither perception nor non-perception in the dimension of neither perception nor non-perception. They wouldn’t perceive this world in this world, or the other world in the other world. And they wouldn’t perceive what is seen, heard, thought, known, attained, sought, or explored by the mind. And yet they would still perceive.”

“It could be, Ānanda, that a mendicant might gain a state of immersion like this.
They wouldn’t perceive earth in earth, water in water, fire in fire, or air in air. And they wouldn’t perceive the dimension of infinite space in the dimension of infinite space, the dimension of infinite consciousness in the dimension of infinite consciousness, the dimension of nothingness in the dimension of nothingness, or the dimension of neither perception nor non-perception in the dimension of neither perception nor non-perception. They wouldn’t perceive this world in this world, or the other world in the other world. And they wouldn’t perceive what is seen, heard, thought, known, attained, sought, or explored by the mind. And yet they would still perceive.
This is referring to nibbāna. What's your point?
“But how could this be, sir?”
“Ānanda, it’s when a mendicant perceives: ‘This is peaceful; this is sublime—that is, the stilling of all activities, the letting go of all attachments, the ending of craving, fading away, cessation, extinguishment.’
That’s how a mendicant might gain a state of immersion like this.
That requires paṭisañcikkhati:

Idhānanda, bhikkhu araññagato vā rukkhamūlagato vā suññāgāragato vā iti paṭisañcikkhati: ‘etaṁ santaṁ etaṁ paṇītaṁ yadidaṁ sabbasaṅkhārasamatho sabbūpadhippaṭinissaggo taṇhākkhayo nirodho nibbānan’ti.
It’s when a mendicant has gone to a wilderness, or to the root of a tree, or to an empty hut, and reflects like this: ‘This is peaceful; this is sublime—that is, the stilling of all activities, the letting go of all attachments, the ending of craving, cessation, extinguishment.’

Given that on a Jhāna-lite basis vitakka-vicāra, as thinking and pondering, are absent from the 2nd Jhāna onwards it's strange that normal thinking and pondering crop up again in nibbāna. It's almost as if this reflection is not occurring whilst in nibbāna.
Same as above, but replace “perceive” with “be aware”.
There is no insight in simply being aware.
"When serenity is developed, what purpose does it serve? The mind is developed. And when the mind is developed, what purpose does it serve? Lust is abandoned.”

When insight is developed, what purpose does it serve? Wisdom is developed. And when wisdom is developed, what purpose does it serve? Ignorance is abandoned.

Defiled bylust, the mind is not released. Defiled by ignorance, wisdom does not develop. Thus from the fading of lust is there awareness-release. From the fading of ignorance is there wisdom-release."
It can't have escaped you that the fading of lust for sense objects is due to having experienced Jhāna? Naturally this occurs after the attainment, upon reviewing its otherworldly piti and sukha and so how sense objects simply do not compare. Why then suddenly have the 2nd insight within the Jhāna, when it clearly refers to ignorance in relation to said states? Lust for sense objects is abandoned because a higher happiness is known above them, Jhāna. The fetter of kāmacchando has been given up. There is no self or controller within the Jhāna, and the rise and fall of the aggregates therein is reflected upon. Self-view, doubt and attachment to virtue is given up. One is a non-returner if insight stops here. With further wise reflection, after entering the Jhāna again and again, desire for Jhāna itself (and the formless) is abandoned by reflecting upon how these states arise and fall away due to conditions and so are themselves unsatisfactory with no true self lurking there. The fetters of desire for the Jhāna, for the formless, conceit and restlessness are given up. Wisdom has been aroused, ignorance abolished, and all of the fetters are undone. There is no longer any intention towards any state of existence. There is liberation.
Last edited by Ceisiwr on Sat May 08, 2021 12:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
BrokenBones

Post by BrokenBones »

Ceisiwr wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:55 am
BrokenBones wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:17 am So if I'm understanding hard jhana rightly...

When gaining insight into paṭiccasamuppāda there are links in there which are not directly experienced, yet there is insight and understanding. You don't need to be directly experiencing something to gain insight and understanding. However, there does need to be an experience.
And that 'experience' is of a memory of samadhi?

Which links are not directly experienced? Why should this matter?

There is always 'experience'.

The way hard jhana is explained, one doesn't seem to know too much about what is happening 'to' you while it has you in its grip... wouldn't that make your memory of it a little bit vague?
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

BrokenBones wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 12:38 pm
And that 'experience' is of a memory of samadhi?
The experience is Jhāna. Upon leaving there is wise reflection upon said state. See my last comment in my post above. Memory is of course involved.
Which links are not directly experienced? Why should this matter?
No one who has understood paṭiccasamuppāda has actually died, and they might not even be sick. It matters because it shows that you can have insight into dhammas without directly experiencing them. There can be wise reflection.
The way hard jhana is explained, one doesn't seem to know too much about what is happening 'to' you while it has you in its grip... wouldn't that make your memory of it a little bit vague?
Its not a blank state. That would be the final 2 formless attainments.
Last edited by Ceisiwr on Sat May 08, 2021 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ratnakar

Post by Ratnakar »

Ceisiwr wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:23 pm
Ratnakar wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:05 pm
Oh so you argued that with dry insight one can still attain enlightenment, didn't you ?
No.
Did I misunderstood you or not ?
It seems so.
And What Do you think is it much easier to do vippassana in a state with hindrances or in a state without hindrances ?
There will be some insight prior to the hindrances being dropped, but this centres around wholesome and unwholesome states in relation to one's welfare and what is conductive to meditation. In other words, what feeds and what starves the hindrances and the 7 awakening factors. This insight centres around virtue, sense restraint and satipaṭṭhāna and so aids in achieving Right Samādhi. The insight of the sotāpanna & sakadāgāmin can only occur post access concentration. The insight of the anāgāmī and Arahant can only occur post Jhāna.
Hi ceiswr I mistyped I didn't mean that you should find the quote where buddhaghosa supported that The insight of the anāgāmī and Arahant can only occur post Jhāna, that is obvious, of course with jhana you can attain anything including physic power, note that I agreed with you that it's impossible to do vippassana while in jhana, my question was only about access, could you quote the visuddhimagga related to your claim that only sakadagamin can be reached in access ?

Best regards
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Ratnakar wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 2:01 pm ...
The Vism. states here that only the non-returner and Arahant have achieved the Higher Mind:
14. [6] Likewise the reason for the states of stream-entry and once-return is shown by virtue; that for the state of non-return, by concentration; that for Arahantship by understanding. For the stream-enterer is called “perfected in the kinds of virtue”; and likewise the once-returner. But the non-returner is called “perfected in concentration.” And the Arahant is called “perfected in understanding” (see A I 233).
Chapter 1 - Description of Virtue.

There is a difference between the Vimuttimagga and Visuddhimagga later on. The Vimuttimagga says the stream-enterer and once-returner cannot enter into meditation upon Nibbana because they lack the development of the Higher Mind (Jhana). The Visuddhimagga says they can despite not having achieved Jhana. Either way the suttas, Vimuttimagga and Visuddhimagga all state that the stream-enterer and once-returner are without Jhana. Since they have glimpsed Nibbana and obtained the path they must have Right Concentration, but of a looser kind. This is called access concentration. People may dislike the name, but that’s just quibbling about labels. Their insight is then post access concentration. If the once-returner had attained Jhana they would no longer have any lust for sense objects and so wouldn’t be a once-returner anymore. They would be a non-returner, since it is on the basis of the experience of Jhana that sensual lust is abandoned.

“When serenity is developed, what purpose does it serve? The mind is developed. And when the mind is developed, what purpose does it serve? Lust is abandoned.”
pitithefool

Post by pitithefool »

Ceisiwr wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 12:29 pm
That no sense of self exists while in jhana
"There is the case, Ananda, where a disciple of the noble ones considers this: 'Sensuality here & now; sensuality in lives to come; sensual perceptions here & now; sensual perceptions in lives to come; forms here & now; forms in lives to come; form-perceptions here & now; form-perceptions in lives to come; perceptions of the imperturbable; perceptions of the dimension of nothingness; perceptions of the dimension of neither perception nor non-perception: that is an identity, to the extent that there is an identity. This is deathless: the liberation of the mind through lack of clinging/sustenance.'
Not necessarily true. If this were true, people of other traditions would have attained liberation long before the Buddha. Even in non-returners there is an identity here though.
Last edited by pitithefool on Sat May 08, 2021 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please note: This profile picture is not actually a picture of the user.
pitithefool

Post by pitithefool »

Ceisiwr wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 2:19 pm
The Vism. states here that only the non-returner and Arahant have achieved the Higher Mind:
14. [6] Likewise the reason for the states of stream-entry and once-return is shown by virtue; that for the state of non-return, by concentration; that for Arahantship by understanding. For the stream-enterer is called “perfected in the kinds of virtue”; and likewise the once-returner. But the non-returner is called “perfected in concentration.” And the Arahant is called “perfected in understanding” (see A I 233).
This is on-point, and explains why there are so many instances of new-comers attaining non-return or arahantship so quickly is because they were already very practiced in meditation before attaining to right view.
Please note: This profile picture is not actually a picture of the user.