Fake Speech

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
mjaviem

Re: Fake Speech

Post by mjaviem »

Pondera wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:08 am ...
So ... is it better to “pretend” and speak pleasantly with others - to have a courteous voice, kind words, expressions of best wishes?

Or is this a form of lying? Especially if you’re putting on an act because your livelihood relies on it?
Pondera wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:21 pm Thank you for this except. The Buddha’s speech was both polite and going to the heart. Besides pleasantries and introductions, the Buddha’s speech was not a mere matter of convention it seems. Ie. he could be polite and genteel while still being genuine.
I think then you should watch and work on your intentions. It's not about the outer shell, if you know you are pretending and acting out, you already know there's aversion in there. You could train more in metta so you can add to those polite and courteous words some warm words from the heart.
Namo Tassa Bhagavato Arahato Sammā Sambuddhassa
Pondera

Re: Fake Speech

Post by Pondera »

mjaviem wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:08 am
Pondera wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:08 am ...
So ... is it better to “pretend” and speak pleasantly with others - to have a courteous voice, kind words, expressions of best wishes?

Or is this a form of lying? Especially if you’re putting on an act because your livelihood relies on it?
Pondera wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:21 pm Thank you for this except. The Buddha’s speech was both polite and going to the heart. Besides pleasantries and introductions, the Buddha’s speech was not a mere matter of convention it seems. Ie. he could be polite and genteel while still being genuine.
I think then you should watch and work on your intentions. It's not about the outer shell, if you know you are pretending and acting out, you already know there's aversion in there. You could train more in metta so you can add to those polite and courteous words some warm words from the heart.
Loving Kindness to my fellow employees and clients might cause an HR concern. :tongue:

I would more likely try to develop equanimity towards them.
Like the three marks of conditioned existence, this world in itself is filthy, hostile, and crowded