Black Wool in Nissaggiya Pācittiya (monastic rules entailing forfeiture and confession )

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
alexYaYy

Black Wool in Nissaggiya Pācittiya (monastic rules entailing forfeiture and confession )

Post by alexYaYy »

In part 2: The Silk Chapter rules
12. Should any bhikkhu have a felt (blanket/rug) made of pure black wool, it is to be forfeited and confessed.

13. When a bhikkhu is having a new felt (blanket/rug) made, two parts of pure black wool are to be incorporated, a third (part) of white, and a fourth of brown. If a bhikkhu should have a new felt (blanket/rug) made without incorporating two parts of pure black wool, a third of white, and a fourth of brown, it is to be forfeited and confessed.
I don't understand why the colors of wool would be so concerning. I tried to check the Cullavaga but the website I used didn't have the explanation or maybe the explanation is not included in Cullavaga.
SDC

Re: Black Wool in Nissaggiya Pācittiya (monastic rules entailing forfeiture and confession )

Post by SDC »

Origin Story

Seems like black was luxurious?
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
Dhammanando

Re: Black Wool in Nissaggiya Pācittiya (monastic rules entailing forfeiture and confession )

Post by Dhammanando »

alexYaYy wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:22 pm I tried to check the Cullavagga
For rules contained in the two Pātimokkhas you need to look in the Bhikkhuvibhanga and Bhikkhunīvibhanga.

The Khandhakas (comprising the Mahāvagga and Cullavagga) deal with rules that lie outside the Pātimokkhas.
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)