Formless aggregates

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
chownah

Re: Formless aggregates

Post by chownah »

I think that thanissaro gives a good introduction to MN60 and I highly recommend reading it first until it is understood and then reading the body of the sutta.
Here is the link https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
chownah
pegembara

Post by pegembara »

asahi wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:26 am
pegembara wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:45 am
Better to ask if there is life on another planet. How is that going to help you other than to satisfy your curiosity? BTW there is a high likelihood that there is life other here on Earth.

Being ethical and moral helps but doesn't solve the fundamental problem. Nearly all religions wold say the same things. Some promise heaven after death. That is not Buddhism since it is not verifiable. Please note that I am not refuting that there are things that may well be unseen.

How is it going to help you face aging, sickness, and death? Loss of loved ones?

Here is a sutta that should be of concern to us. Freedom from aging, sickness, and death is a loftier goal!

Better i ask someone else that maybe can help answer my question and end of story .
Studying the sutta is part of the process of learning dhamma . So if you think my question not worth answering just dont answer . Sarathw says it is a good question . And in this process of learning it seems this is a matter of different opinions that you think the question dont worth asking . How do you know i am not concern or dont know how to face aging sickness and death ? :shrug:

:focus: :ugeek:
You should not worry about what others think.
This is not a matter of personal opinion!
Only the Buddha's words matter. End of story.
"And what are the ideas unfit for attention that he attends to? Whatever ideas such that, when he attends to them, the unarisen fermentation of sensuality arises in him, and the arisen fermentation of sensuality increases; the unarisen fermentation of becoming arises in him, and arisen fermentation of becoming increases; the unarisen fermentation of ignorance arises in him, and the arisen fermentation of ignorance increases. These are the ideas unfit for attention that he attends to.

"This is how he attends inappropriately: 'Was I in the past? Was I not in the past? What was I in the past? How was I in the past? Having been what, what was I in the past? Shall I be in the future? Shall I not be in the future? What shall I be in the future? How shall I be in the future? Having been what, what shall I be in the future?' Or else he is inwardly perplexed about the immediate present: 'Am I? Am I not? What am I? How am I? Where has this being come from? Where is it bound?

"He attends appropriately, This is stress... This is the origination of stress... This is the cessation of stress... This is the way leading to the cessation of stress. As he attends appropriately in this way, three fetters are abandoned in him: identity-view, doubt, and grasping at precepts & practices. These are called the fermentations to be abandoned by seeing.

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.
asahi

Post by asahi »

pegembara wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:45 am
You should not worry about what others think.
:offtopic:

Yes you should not worry what i ask what i think . I can read the suttas myself not follow your words and why you want to think you know everything and i have to listen to you . You should Watch your Mind and Attitude . Mind your Speech . Practice kindness towards others . End of story . Dont reply to me . Bye bye .

:lol:
No bashing No gossiping