The Four Right Exertions vs The Four Exertions

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Ceisiwr

The Four Right Exertions vs The Four Exertions

Post by Ceisiwr »

Greetings,

Is there a difference between the Four Right Exertions and the Four Exertions?
“Bhikkhus, there are these four right strivings. What four? (1) Here, a bhikkhu generates desire for the non-arising of unarisen bad unwholesome states; he makes an effort, arouses energy, applies his mind, and strives. (2) He generates desire for the abandoning of arisen bad unwholesome states; he makes an effort, arouses energy, applies his mind, and strives. (3) He generates desire for the arising of unarisen wholesome states; he makes an effort, arouses energy, applies his mind, and strives. (4) He generates desire for the persistence of arisen wholesome states, for their non-decline, increase, expansion, and fulfillment by development; he makes an effort, arouses energy, applies his mind, and strives. These are the four right strivings.”
AN 4.13
“Bhikkhus, there are these four strivings. What four? Striving by restraint, striving by abandonment, striving by development, and striving by protection.

(1) “And what, bhikkhus, is striving by restraint? Here, having seen a form with the eye, a bhikkhu does not grasp its marks and features. Since, if he left the eye faculty unrestrained, bad unwholesome states of longing and dejection might invade him, he practices restraint over it, he guards the eye faculty, he undertakes the restraint of the eye faculty. Having heard a sound with the ear … Having smelled an odor with the nose … Having tasted a taste with the tongue … Having felt a tactile object with the body … Having cognized a mental phenomenon with the mind, a bhikkhu does not grasp its marks and features. Since, if he left the mind faculty unrestrained, bad unwholesome states of longing and dejection might invade him, he practices restraint over it, he guards the mind faculty, he undertakes the restraint of the mind faculty. This is called striving by restraint.

(2) “And what is striving by abandonment? Here, a bhikkhu does not tolerate an arisen sensual thought; he abandons it, dispels it, terminates it, and obliterates it. He does not tolerate an arisen thought of ill will … an arisen thought of harming … bad unwholesome states whenever they arise; he abandons them, dispels them, terminates them, and obliterates them. This is called striving by abandonment.

(3) “And what is striving by development? Here, a bhikkhu develops the enlightenment factor of mindfulness, which is based upon seclusion, dispassion, and cessation, maturing in release. He develops the enlightenment factor of discrimination of phenomena … the enlightenment factor of energy … the enlightenment factor of rapture … the enlightenment factor of tranquility … the enlightenment factor of concentration … the enlightenment factor of equanimity, which is based upon seclusion, dispassion, and cessation, maturing in release. This is called striving by development.

4) “And what is striving by protection? Here, a bhikkhu protects an arisen excellent object of concentration: the perception of a skeleton, the perception of a worm-infested corpse, the perception of a livid corpse, the perception of a festering corpse, the perception of a fissured corpse, the perception of a bloated corpse. This is called striving by protection.

“These, bhikkhus, are the four kinds of striving.”
AN 4.14

To me it reads like one is to do with "off the cushion" Right Energy of the Noble Eight Fold Path, whilst the Four Exertions are the same energy but applied to "on the cushion", as in when meditating. However I'm interested in hearing other views on this.

Four Right Exertions Summary

"There is the case where a monk generates desire, endeavors, activates persistence, upholds & exerts his intent for:

"the sake of the **non-arising** [*anuppādāya*] of evil, unskillful qualities that have not yet arisen.

"... the sake of the **abandonment** [*pahānāya*] of evil, unskillful qualities that have arisen.

"... the sake of the **arising** [*uppādāya*] of skillful qualities that have not yet arisen.

"... the **maintenance** [**ṭhitiyā**], non-confusion, increase, plenitude, development, & culmination of skillful qualities that have arisen."

Four Exertions Summary

1. Restraint (saṃvara padhāna) of the senses.
2. Abandonment (pahāna padhāna) of the defilements.
3. Cultivation (bhāvanā padhāna) of the Factors of Awakening.
4. Preservation (anurakkhaṇā padhāna) of concentration.

Thoughts?
“The teacher willed that this world appear to me
as impermanent, unstable, insubstantial.
Mind, let me leap into the victor’s teaching,
carry me over the great flood, so hard to pass.”
JamesTheGiant

Re: The Four Right Exertions vs The Four Exertions

Post by JamesTheGiant »

It seems to me the first is what should be done, and the second is four useful ways how to do it.
Yes they can be done on the cushion in meditation, but also can be done in daily life and activities; At least, in the daily life of a person in a monastery or in retreat. They're very difficult to do in normal daily life, because they're relatively high-level conceptual/intellectual activities. This is my experience.
form

Post by form »

Both sets are exactly the same.
Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

The first set seems like the general principle and the second a specific instance of it. It isn’t difficult to imagine that one might use other methods to prevent the arising of unwholesome states etc, e.g. buddhanussati which helps prevent and abandon greed, hate, and delusion overtaking the mind.

:anjali:
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."